UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ALPHABIX for breakfast every day.
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright lads and ladies,

not sure if this is the right section but hey.

Basically im trying to put on size, mass, bulk, whatever you want to call it.

Im trying to bulk up basically. Thing is my dads trying to get me to do cardio, he's mentioned this 40 mile bike ride and he wants me to train to be ready for it. Ive tried telling him im not that interested in cardio i just want to bulk for the minute.

Basically will training for this 40 miler affect my muscle growth, baring in mind i don't have the best of diets as i still live at home so i try to just eat as much as i can. Just don't want to do this cardio if its going to affect my muscle gains.

Oh and my dads the type of person that if i decline this then he'll not want to support me in lifting, not that he does anyway :cursing:

·
Gym Addict
437 Posts
Sorry mate, its a bit confusing, is your dad asking you to be his training partner for the ride or is he basically saying you have to do a 40mile ride just because he wants you to?

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically he's saying theres a 40 mile bike ride coming up and he wants me to try do it with him. He's a lot fitter than me stamina wise, so ill have to seriously push myself to be able to do it, burning loads of carbs and fat which id rather save for lifting.

Not sure if im sounding stupid by saying all this, just i dont get to eat that much i have to kinda make the most of what we have in the house, and i just dont want to start burning of musscle when training for/doing the bike ride :/

·
Lift, Eat, Rest, Repeat.
1,057 Posts
Mate 40 miles on a bike isn't really that much to be honest with you, its not going

to turn you into a pencil neck over night, take the chance to work in some good cardio into your week with you and your dads training sessions.

Depending of course on the terrain but if you average it out 1 mile on a bike is approx

30-40 calories a mile so at the max its only 1600 calories which is easy enough to make up for with extra food/shakes

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spose so, just he only wants to support me and is only interested in what he wants me to do. I have a very keen interest in bodybuilding, and more recently its becoming a big part of my life what with trying to eat correctly and everything, and he just doesn't seem to want to help me and just wants me to do cardio.

Yeah the bike ride itself wont turn me into a pencil neck, but its gnna tke a lot of training to get me ready for it, its a hilly mountain bike ride not some flat road bike thing. It's gnna be tough as ****.

Pretty sure i'm an ectomorph too to top things off

·
Getting HUGE!
1,393 Posts
dsldude said:
Mate 40 miles on a bike isn't really that much to be honest with you, its not going

to turn you into a pencil neck over night, take the chance to work in some good cardio into your week with you and your dads training sessions.

Depending of course on the terrain but if you average it out 1 mile on a bike is approx

30-40 calories a mile so at the max its only 1600 calories which is easy enough to make up for with extra food/shakes
Assuming it is on the road, add in in hills etc. and this is probably a good 4 hours of solid cardio. I would say it is quite an achievement to do 40 miles on a bike, non stop if you are not used to it.

·
Growing old disgracefully
3,788 Posts
Barker said:
Spose so, just he only wants to support me and is only interested in what he wants me to do.
I'd try and negotiate a bit with him. Maybe suggest you'll train and do the cycle with him if he'll at least spot for you when you do weights. Being both a father and a son I appreciate how difficult it can be sometimes to get quality time together as we get older but I also know how rewarding it can be when it works out.

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea Ian, he spotted for me yesterday doing bench press and some bicep curls (i work out in my garage), helped a lot. I'll see what more he says about it, cheers.

·
Looking Freaky
788 Posts
IMO you wont need to do THAT much training....

I ended up doing 70miles one day at some charity thing, except for the sore ass it wasnt really that hard and i never cycle, hate it, so hadnt trained at all for it

·
Lift, Eat, Rest, Repeat.
1,057 Posts
stephy said:
IMO you wont need to do THAT much training....

I ended up doing 70miles one day at some charity thing, except for the sore ass it wasnt really that hard and i never cycle, hate it, so hadnt trained at all for it
LOL very true the most training needed is in the ass :lol: , I am a fair weather mountain biker as I prefer to do hiking in winter as its easier to regulate body temp.

And that first bike ride of the year is a crippler, cant walk right for a week and thats with padded shorts as-well.

·
Growing old disgracefully
3,788 Posts
Barker said:
Bear in mind im only 16 lads haha, well, 17 in a few days
In that case the biggest challenge you face in the bike race is the sight of dozens of middle-aged men in lycra. Be strong and try not to let your face show your inner revulsion.

·
Kadampa.org
2,914 Posts
Ian_Montrose said:
Just do it for your old man and be grateful he wants to spend time with you like this. One day he won't be here anymore.
x2

and 40 miles on a bike is a piece of cake anyway specially for a nearly 17 year old lad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.