UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gym Addict
217 Posts
Some people say you shouldnt start training before age 16 as it will stunt your growth but I guess there are mixsed opinions on that, do some research on the net, look up different training routines and research diet aswell then you should be on your way!

·
ALPHABIX for breakfast every day.
3,746 Posts
Hmm, at 13 i highly doubt you will stick to it, and you could injur yourself very easily.

But if you get someone older to train with you then i dont see a problem in it.

Just remember to eat lots of protein and do reps in the range of 8-10 reps, with correct and controlled form.

Good luck :)

·
Newbie Trainer
40 Posts
nick.wilson said:
hi

my bro told me about this site. I was just wondering how do i get big not toned. should i start to do weights at my age ,will this effect me in anyway?
Do some reading on diets.

Are you to young?? no one can answer this question IMO as everyone will have a different answer.

Train with your brother if he was the one to recommend it?

·
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!
3,167 Posts
My kids do light weights and a lot of body weight exercises like chins, sit ups, press ups that sort of thing!

I'm sure so long as you don't go heavy you'll be fine :)

·
The Devil told me to do it
382 Posts
I was well into fitness at your age. I got a dumbell set from argos and worked out in my room. I did this for a couple of years and it never did me any harm. Its not like your going to be squatting dead horse's

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Before you get into it, make sure you get good technique.. start light and build yourself up!

As said research on this site and the web to see cases of any effects of training from a young age!

I wouldn't concern yourself with getting 'big' at your age, just learn about training, dieting, technique and start at it and be patient and work hard..

By the time your 16+ you will have a good foundation and route to becoming big...

A 13 year old trying to get big could lead to some injuries which will mess up your overall goal!

Good luck

·
Newbie Trainer
63 Posts
I would say no mate.

At 13, your epiphyses (loose growth plates on the ends of your bones) are still loose and not fused to the shaft of the bone. This is to allow your bones to growth further.

There is a risk you sould suffer a "slipped epiphysis" if you train a little too heavy.

Stick to active sport, plenty of time to bulk up later on. Wait until 17 ish

G

·
Getting HUGE!
1,339 Posts
I would say go for it mate Ive looked around on a load of American sites and Ive seen loads of kids who look bigger and older than me lol

does your brother workout ?If so just go workout with him and stick to the basics bench press mil press squats dead lifts and rows.

you praboaly would be better though building you self up for a month or so jsut with body weight exercises.

if your going to do that then just do pushups dips pullups squats and inverted rows if you can(you could use a pullup bar)

I dont belive you would need loads of food at your age maybe just one more small meal than you already have

·
288 Posts
just dont stress youre system mate

id say at 13 you would be best off starting with bodyweight exercises and getting plenty of protein/milk down you and food

at 13 your not going to be anywhere near fully developed

when you feel strong enough get some light dumbells or best thing you could do is join a gym with someone in your family/friends who knows what their doing

and i know at 13 you cant really stick to a diet, that why i reccomended milk and try and blag your mum into making chicken everyday :thumb:

·
4,145 Posts
Hello and welcome to UK Muscle, there have been studies to say that lifting weights from as young as 7 has no detrimental effect on your health :) . Its been proved that lifting weights if the technique and form is carried out properly helps improve muscle and bone strength whilst for growing muscle and bone structure.

My young children have been learning squating and deadliftinf techniques with tiny weights and a broomstick.

As long as you get good advice and get shown correctly how to use the weights I see no problem as to why you should not start training. You prob play football and sports at school, these sports put alot or pressure on bones and muscles, because you move plyometricaly, some plyometric movements can be more damaging than weight lifting :)

I am sure if you ask nicely someone can make you up a basic routine for you.

·
4,145 Posts
geezore said:
I would say no mate.

At 13, your epiphyses (loose growth plates on the ends of your bones) are still loose and not fused to the shaft of the bone. This is to allow your bones to growth further.

There is a risk you sould suffer a "slipped epiphysis" if you train a little too heavy.

G
You can do as much damage or more doing active sports if your muscles are not strong enough...

Makes sense to strengthen the muscles and bones then so that it help injures to be prevented :)

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
1,498 Posts
Jeevesy said:
Some people say you shouldnt start training before age 16 as it will stunt your growth but I guess there are mixsed opinions on that, do some research on the net, look up different training routines and research diet aswell then you should be on your way!
I've heard people say this but i've never read any actual articles/journals aggreeing with this.

When I did working with children (in sports), the information i found was pro exercise, it even stated that some strength/resistance training helped develop bones, amongst other things.

In my opinion, if your serious about this, your first step is your nutrition, as ultimateley this is what will dictate your "get big, with out toningh" i'm assuming, yuo mean you want to gain lean muscle mass.

Make sure when you train, you have someone who is good at teaching you correctly, developing injuries at a young age is not what you want and poor technique will strongly increase the risk.

So, get a few magazines and training books, read through them and go to a gym with a few instructors who are decent, you could even use a personal instructor for a few sessions (many are giving 30-60mins free).

Anyways, good luck. Don't expect results in a week though, takes time so don't get disheartened if you wake up looking the same and not looking like arnie.

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
1,498 Posts
geezore said:
I would say no mate.

G
Completley forgot about that, however the rate does decrease during later stages of puberty.

I'm sure many medical practioners will advise light resistance training (i.e. something you can get 8-12 reps out off).

·
Newbie Trainer
15 Posts
I would say, educate yourself fella, work on gaining good diet habits, work on your fitness and stay light, concentrating on perfeting your form... this would be a good base for hitting the weights properly when you get older (16+) and these foundations will stay with you for the rest of your life and in turn benefit you in whatever way you choose to take it... Good luck fella :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.