Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I'm pretty self-conscious about going to a gym ..

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I think it'd be better for me to buy some weights and work out at home as I've got a spare room, does anybody have any experience (good/bad) that might point me in the right direction. I'm completely new to body building .. so go easy on me! Haha

Posted

Just go for it mate, no one gives a flying fu*k about anyone else in the gym unless they MAKE themselves stand out.

Posted

Just go for it mate, no one gives a flying fu*k about anyone else in the gym unless they MAKE themselves stand out.

X2

And remember no-one walked into the gym for the first day and was huge, it takes time and everyones gotta start somewhere :)

Posted

im new to it all aswell and honestly everybody in the gym has been spot on, helped me out if i needed advice etc. i expect most gyms are like this although daunting at first

Posted

NO mate....right in the gym is where you need to be.

I was just under 10st when i walked in...just made me more determined.

Also you will meet some real decent guys who will help put you in the right direction.

NEVER worry about what others are doing...if they are watching you then its them who need guidance....do it for you mate.

Plus you have support from all us folks on here :0

gearchange and Syko like this

Posted

NO mate....right in the gym is where you need to be.

I was just under 10st when i walked in...just made me more determined.

Also you will meet some real decent guys who will help put you in the right direction.

NEVER worry about what others are doing...if they are watching you then its them who need guidance....do it for you mate.

Plus you have support from all us folks on here :0

You fairy !!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Posted

When I started I felt like the weakest bloke there,I couldn't lift a fly but after a while you will see that people will help you and advise(some good some bad) but overall you make friends and it becomes a pleasure to be there.

Posted

i walked in at 10 and half stone and im now 16.6 off cycle and 17 on cycle and iv never been looked at in different ways since starting (i dont think ) :D

go for it you will love it!

Posted

I hope so .. it's a big commitment a couple of mates have said .. but anything worth doing takes commitment .. :)

I've had "Maximuscle Muscle & size progain" in my kitchen cupboard for about a year now, when would you suggest i start using it?

And how do you find working out fits in with your other commitments? Cos im worried I wont have much time to get a workout done everyday!

Posted

You don't need to workout everyday buddy.

3times a week I would suggest.

Push on a monday, pull on a wednesday and legs on a friday.

More than enough right there.

Heavy compound lifts like squats, deadlifts and bench press and work on getting stronger.

Best of luck :)

Posted

honestly mate u jus gota go for it. im in there lifting weights smaller than most the guys warm up with but like all these lot say we all gota start somewhere n the way i see it n e one looking at people like us is wasting there time n not maximising gym time like us plus f##k em lol jus use it as inspiration to go that one step further

Posted

I can see it coming .. I'll go to a gym .. and have no idea what I'm going and head for a treadmill .. :D

Posted

avoid the treadmill and hit the iron hard!!

Posted

I can see it coming .. I'll go to a gym .. and have no idea what I'm going and head for a treadmill .. :D

If your not sure what your doing or how to use the equipment, perhaps you can see if it's possible to get some sort of induction from one of the instructors. At least that way you will have a basic understaning on how to use the machines/weights etc.

They may even design a program for you to get you going.

Just go for it!

Posted

take it you're not 16-17 stone in your avi!?

schnnaarrrffffff!

Posted

is it important that I still do a lot of running? Or should I lay off a bit? Also what should I start eating and cutting out of my diet altogether?

Posted

is it important that I still do a lot of running? Or should I lay off a bit? Also what should I start eating and cutting out of my diet altogether?

What do you want to achieve ?

Posted

Big arms :) And a nice chest and shoulders :) I don't want to look 'out-of-place though.

This sort of shape would be ideal .. 34893_110779552304379_100001170036344_72893_8307368_n.jpg

Posted

It will take years of hard work and sacrifice to look out of place.

Have a read around, get a good training routine and a diet that you can follow.

No need to go over the top when you start, just something that fits in with your lifestyle.

Easier to follow something if you enjoy it and it isn't a chore.

Posted

how are you starting out? are you overweight? underweight? average? give us some clues :)

protein shakes i would go for one in the morning before breakfast and one post workout.

try and consume as much protein as you can from your foods also. IMO protein in food trumps prtein shakes everytime BUT you would struggle to get enough just from your food unless you had lots of £££!

I walked in massively overweight nearly a year ago with not a clue what to do. but stick with it and you get results! look at 'wildbills' avi, he has only been working out for 1 year!! he has done very well. it can be done just look to where you want to get.

keep us all posted

WillOdling likes this

Posted

I'm just average yeah, 5'11" and weight 12st9

img086o.jpg

img087a.jpg

What sort of meals should I be eating?

Posted

Mate , half of the posh pumpkins at the gym look as they have never Li$ted a finger in thier life :) besides you can't change ur reality by sitting at home . Atleast you know about this board , so u will actually progress and be "buff" in no time instead of looking the. Same year in year out lol

Posted

WWW.hypertrophy-specific.com follow the simple 3 day split on there and u will grow like weed

And read the nutrition section for diets but go for anabolic diet imo

Posted

i cant find any workouts or diets on that site mate? t looks like an online store?

Posted

Click on articles and then scroll down for training :) read up on diet while ur their