Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Overtraining On Steroids...?

64 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

Touching on a much discussed subject...yet i still find it being in such a grey area.

CAN you overtrain on Steroids!? or do you take advantage and train every murscle group twice per week?

There's guys in the gym that beleive overtraining is a myth, Who have no rest days, and yet are HUGE without showing anysigns of overtraining.... whats the truth?

Posted

im not on gear so cant talk from that point , but overtraining in my opinion exists , but revolves around life too , i was working a hektic job training 5 days a week plus a couple of them sessions had cardio . plus attempting boxing . an within a two weeks of this i was extremely fatigued , was sleeping like 14 hours a night am couldnt kick myself into gear an started suffering anxiety (sp) an stress. this lasted a good week an was eventually 3 weeks before i was training and eating again properly , now this was not obviusly all down to training but i feel it played a big part.

Posted

Depends on lifestyle, diet and training.

Gear helps you train long by increasing testosterone generally so you repair much faster.

The people who are huge at my gym and seem to have no rest, work a few nights a week at night clubs and dont work during the day, so i'd imagine they have plenty of time to sleep and train.

also depends on body type and training performance, personally i find if i do strength/hypertrophy training i could do it again within 3 days rest of that group. If i do endurance or definition with lots of fatigue training i can't do it again in a few days lol

Posted

yes you can overtrain on gear, muscles will repair quicker but everything else wont recover as fast.. ie nervous system

Posted

how much rest does the nervous system require kezz ? always been in a grey area about this?

Posted

in my opinion you cannot overtrain just undereat.....

Posted

ah thank you, some sense:)

you would be suprised how the body can addapt to whjatever you throw at it!!

Posted

so what your saying is aslong as you eat enough calories to what you expend you cant overtrain?

without trying to sound like a smartass ( trust me im not im well aware your a lot more knowledgable in this area than me)

are you saying you could then train chest everyday an aslong as eat enough it wont overtrain??

Posted

of course you can overtrain i have on cycle

if you were doing 8hours of weights a days you wouldnt grow or recover youd defo burn out

its easier to undereat tho

Posted

LOL yes but you would not train for 8hrs a day nor would you train chest every day.....overtraining is about recovery and diet is one of the main factors to this........

so for you and the others that say "what if you never sleep or train all day and all night" if you follow a normal training method ie once a day training rotating bodyparts in my opinion under eating is the main problem ie you don't over train your under eat

Posted

on gear muscle will recover and grow at fast rate as long as you provide the body with required nutrition to do so. and this could lead people to over train because of quick recovery. just have to remember that tendons and joints connective tissues get under pressure because they don't grow as fast as muscle tissue.

Posted

ok but maybe your llifting/grafting heavy stuff for work not doing 10000sets of bench lol too much stress on the body you wont beable to eat enough food to compensate

Posted

why not? that is a pretty big statement tell me why you would not be able to eat enough and what is enough??

Posted (edited)

LOL yes but you would not train for 8hrs a day nor would you train chest every day.....overtraining is about recovery and diet is one of the main factors to this........

so for you and the others that say "what if you never sleep or train all day and all night" if you follow a normal training method ie once a day training rotating bodyparts in my opinion under eating is the main problem ie you don't over train your under eat

Of course if you follow a 'normal' training method ie once a day training rotating bodyparts, you are not overtraining and it is therefore not what the initial question is asking.

I think what needs to be determined is exactly what constitutes 'overtraining'.

Yes its completely unrealistic for anyone to train 8 hours per day etc etc but its quite possible to train at high intensity 2 hours per day, 7 days per week, no matter what your work schedule is. I do believe that no matter how much gear you take and how much food you consume that you will be severely overtrained. The CNS alone just could not cope.

On that basis i do not believe the statement ' there is no such thing as overtraining, just undereating' holds up and yes you can indeed overtrain when using AAS.

Edited by steeley

Posted

lol interesting first time ive herd this , how about for a natty tho would you say the same principles apply ?

Posted

yes mate over training is overtraining natural or not you are still not eating enough.....

Posted

ok for me overtraing is absolute rubbish unless your doing same body part everyday like stated earlier... i have proof in a sense

my bro works 6 days a week nightshift finish at 8 in the morning goes to gut breakie until 9 then trains until 11.30am gets the bus home then gets 2 hrs sleep max before he has to pick the kids up from school then hiss lass gets in from work at 8pm and drops him off at work again he does this 5-6 days a week... the amount of food he consumes is scary this is why i think what ps carb says about food is correct...

the size he has put on in last 6 months since we both got back in to the gym is amazing progress arms up 2 1/2" chest 4" almost and he has actually dropped bodyfat..

overtraining is an excuse for people with little motivation or incorrect diet in my opinion

Posted

ok for me overtraing is absolute rubbish unless your doing same body part everyday like stated earlier... i have proof in a sense

my bro works 6 days a week nightshift finish at 8 in the morning goes to gut breakie until 9 then trains until 11.30am gets the bus home then gets 2 hrs sleep max before he has to pick the kids up from school then hiss lass gets in from work at 8pm and drops him off at work again he does this 5-6 days a week... the amount of food he consumes is scary this is why i think what ps carb says about food is correct...

the size he has put on in last 6 months since we both got back in to the gym is amazing progress arms up 2 1/2" chest 4" almost and he has actually dropped bodyfat..

overtraining is an excuse for people with little motivation or incorrect diet in my opinion

i agree with this aswell. most people her will post workout and will say nothings happening and overtraining will be given as the excuse by most. the harsh reality is most DONT DO ENOUGH, thats why nothings happening!

Posted

It seems like the point is being entirely missed by several people here.

I completely agree that the reason why the majority of people who do not progress with building size is due to a poor diet ie not consuming enough calories but that is not what the original post is asking.

Knowing the training style of Fishy's brother is absolutely essential before we can even begin to consider what it prooves but what seems clear is that his training protocol is suitable for his lifestyle and his diet, but what if he were to double or triple his training intensity or volume? The post is asking if the use of AAS would prevent him from overtraining and its my opinion is that they wouldnt and he would be overtrained.

What denotes overtraining? Is it simply that your calorific intake does not support your training protocol? I dont think so. There comes a point when no matter how much food you consume, certain training protocols will be rendered useless.

Russ, imagine if you introduced squats and deadlifts to your training regime. Try training six days per week of high intensity volume training with each workout lasting 2 hours. Eat 8 meals a day with around 500g of protein and 500g of carbs total per day. No matter how much gear you bang in i guarantee you will reach the point of being overtrained.

Posted

in all fairness yes your right, untill we know what he does then i suppose we cant say but as a rule these threads turn up twice a week and the majority of what people post isnt enough to stimulate growth let alone overtrain!

Posted

you cannot overtrain just undereat

tryin to think of the guy who 1st said this..cant and its makin my head hurt...lol

so many variables in this ..to sum up recon muscle wise easy to recover ...however cns diff matter as takes longer than muscle recovery ...that said it takes a lot to run cns down so unless you hit training 7 days week you should be fine with loads good grub and couple rest days a week

Posted

We all know that without a spot-on diet AND training regime that bodybuilding success will not happen and youre also right in saying that the majority of people who post here have at least one of these two facets amiss.

If it were as simple as 'eat as much as you can and you wont overtrain' the whole training philosophies of Mentzer, Yates et al are rendered useless.

By the way, was that picture of you taken at G.A.Y at the weekend? I was the midget dancing on stage with nothing on but a cowboy hat.

Posted

ps to ans the q yes you can overtrain on gear...more of cns thing than any thing else and no amount of grub will help if you run down your cns system

Posted

Totally agree. I think its relatively difficult to overtrain a specific muscle but the CNS is a different story, which again backs my opinion that you can indeed overtrain on AAS.

I first remember Greg Valentino many years ago saying that 'theres no such thing as overtraining, just undereating'. The statement therefore held no credibility from the moment i read it.

Posted

Was just about to write this but you beat me to it.

Perfectly put.

I've upped the volume in my training lately to what most would consider over training but find it to be working very well.

All down to the diet!