Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tennis elbow questions

45 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm getting loads of these questions at the moment ( probably miss BC does too) and whilst i try and answer as many as I can, its proving very tough. Here is a typical question

hi mate

sorry to pm you out of the blue like this but you know your stuff and im hoping you could give me some advice.

a friend of mine has got tennis elbow and has had for a year. she has so far had 3 injections but its not worked.

the doc is confused and has even given her bloodtests to rule other things out - they have all come back clear.

what is a good protocol she can follow at home to relieve the pain and speed up the healing?

are there any otc supps she oculd take that would help?

hope you dont mind me emailing you unnanounced.

thanks

Thats no problem, I don't mind at all.

I've had so many pm's on tennis elbow I may (given a gap in my life) write a thread on it to answer all questions.

With regards your friend. This is my simple explanation. Tennis elbow is an umbrella term used for lateral elbow pain. There are lots of different sorts.

The main thought historically has been that its an inflammatory disorder of either the muscle/tendon or bone/tendon junction where the wrist extensors attach to the elbow.

No studies I'm aware of have been able to find inflammatory markers on biopsy studies. Therefore the theory seems flawed. Unbelieveably, people still get told its inflammatory. I think its because thats what we have always been taught, and thats what people understand.

i.e. Just because anti inflammatory drugs work (reduce pain) doesn't mean its an inflammatory disorder.

A cortisone injection is the ultimate anti inflammatory.

If it isn't working, there is probably something else going on.

Without seeing someone in the flesh it's nigh on impossible to be able to assess everything and give a reasoned informed opinion.

Not a get out, just fact.

I wish every therapist was great and could assess/ explain / treat every condition.

Listening to posts on here, thats not the case, and I'm sure I don't get all diagnoses right or even if i do, I'm sure I don't get everybody better.

What supps or what exercise protocol should be carried out depends on what type of lateral elbow pain they've got.

Anecdotally, it happens that a lot of people with failed tennis elbow treatment that I see, have neurodynamic problems (tightness of nerve gliding at the most basic level). i.e. on testing nerves, they appear tight.

Some of these get better with stretching regimes.

Others have no problems with nerves and there you have to look elsewhere.

Some remain a frickin mystery.

As I said, I will try, when I get some time, to put some form of post together on this. (it won't be in the next week or two though).

Posted

Please feel free to list relevent questions or areas that you might like me to try and answer and If I can I'll try (when I get a mo).

I might even try and get missBC to do some too :)

Subjects so far have been - stretches, protocols, injections (cortisone), strengthening.

The subject is massive and far ranging, so I'll try and bite off little chunks at a time.

Posted (edited)

hahahahah your telling me i get daily pms with questions lol :)

i dont mind helping if i have the time (which is limited at the mo) and at times it may take a few days to get back to you but i will try if i can!! Just annoying when it happends SOOOOO often

:)

Edited by MissBC
Van likes this

Posted

I had this real nasty a short while back.

My problem, and it made the 'cure' clear, was the ROM/angle coupled with speed lifts. During snatch-pulls I had my hands too close together which caused the elbow to be too high and the momentum forcing the joint into an awkward shape. Not much fun, especially with heavy loads.

Could your patients help by checking their form (and not just their spinal, which we all try to observe)?

Posted

good example of how complicated or simple these things can be. If problems are related specifically to certain lifts, then it might be useful posting vids etc and then the experienced weight trainers can make suggestions.

Posted (edited)

I was just going to post something about my right elbow, its caused by Military Press and not

helped with lateral raises.

Never had this trouble before, gets very painful but eases over the days, gets better then

starts again after MP'ing?

One thing I've noticed is I can't use an underhand grip with my right hand anymore, its simply

too painful. Its gradually getting worse athough I've been working round it its getting harder.

I'm not a fan of Doctors, sends you to sh1t physio who stuck a massive needle 3 inches into

my back last time I saw her, deep muscle acupuncture she called it, I called it a fecking waste

of time which was quite possibly the most painful thing I've ever had :)

Any help appreciated:beer:

Edit: My original question was should we use heat or ice on damaged ligaments?? I used ice last

night and not massively noticeable change today, pretty sure heat is for muscle damage though

and will aggravate ligament inflammation??

Edited by TH0R

Posted

Mine started playing up lastnight again.. did some semi heavy barbell curls (70kg) and today they not happy with life. Though to be fair beginning of workout the right one felt funny.

Need to get a super tight elbow sleeve. The one I have it not tight enough. Unless they not supposed to be?

Posted

Get a roll of webbing TS, you can wrap it as tight as you need then. Those foamy things are useless for lifts imo

Posted

Mine started playing up lastnight again.. did some semi heavy barbell curls (70kg) and today they not happy with life. Though to be fair beginning of workout the right one felt funny.

Need to get a super tight elbow sleeve. The one I have it not tight enough. Unless they not supposed to be?

Maybe when you get them 15" arms you've been after they'll be a tighter fit:whistling:

:D

Posted

I am one of those idiots who keep bothering you two:bounce:, after two steriod injections in my arms iam still getting pain ive got a feeling it could be neurodynamic problem.. how would you test for tightness of the nerve and what would be the appropriate nerve glidding stretches for the forearm?

thank's guy's

Posted

sorry colt I forgot completely re: exercises

Posted

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posted

for you colt - go easy.

try one of them gently - maybe 10-15 reps, then leave it. Always err on the side of caution and increase as you feel able.

try a different one each day and see how you get on.

Then you can start to combine them, untill eventually you can do maybe 2-3 lots of exercises a day.

If something goes wrong or flares you up, you need to know which one and why (too much reps, too hard into reps, too many sets etc etc).

Be careful, you're very sensitised by the sounds of it, so go slow!

colt24 likes this

Posted

Cheers Sam for this, subscribing!

Posted

for you colt - go easy.

try one of them gently - maybe 10-15 reps, then leave it. Always err on the side of caution and increase as you feel able.

try a different one each day and see how you get on.

Then you can start to combine them, untill eventually you can do maybe 2-3 lots of exercises a day.

If something goes wrong or flares you up, you need to know which one and why (too much reps, too hard into reps, too many sets etc etc).

Be careful, you're very sensitised by the sounds of it, so go slow!

thank's mate, i'll keep you updated. reps!

Posted (edited)

i've been told i may need surgry, but they wouldn't recommend the risk :|

Been told i have median nerve compression near my elbow/forearm, but their not sure..

surely i need to see somone in neurology who will give me some form of test's, scan's>?

should i ask to see somone else?

Edited by colt24

Posted

if you have compression, nerve conduction studies would be a start.

yes is the answer

Posted

Im going to be quite vague here but anyway.

I developed had tennis elbow in my mid teens and suffered badly for years. Lately though its been a bit dry but not too bad. Anyway I have developed a really painful tendon problem in the same arm. My GF spoke to a physio and explained where I get pain etc and he said its very common for people with tennis elbow to develop this condition (without knowing a suffered from it).

Anyway do you know what he means? Also roughly how long would the recovery period be with completel rest and physio?

Thanks

Posted

i have no idea what that means? what tendon?

Posted

Im going to be quite vague here but anyway.

I developed had tennis elbow in my mid teens and suffered badly for years. Lately though its been a bit dry but not too bad. Anyway I have developed a really painful tendon problem in the same arm. My GF spoke to a physio and explained where I get pain etc and he said its very common for people with tennis elbow to develop this condition (without knowing a suffered from it).

Anyway do you know what he means? Also roughly how long would the recovery period be with completel rest and physio?

Thanks

Alot quicker if you stop smashing the flake up your frame.:whistling:

Think i have heard somewhere,it wont help.:)