Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bulk on a Budget - Cheap Bulking Food

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I know we've had this before, but I need reminding (and some fresh ideas maybe) and there's some newbies on the board that might benefit.

What food is good to bulk out your diet / calories when you're on a bulk? Anyone got any tips / tricks they like to use to get that extra muscle building much in?

:)

Posted

olive oil, oats, whole milk

Posted

It's only the protein that's expensive really, carbs cost pennies! Use TVP instead of chicken and beef, and use Nutrisport 90+ to cover the rest and you won't get much cheaper than that!

Posted

Oats, Eggs, Rice, Cheap protein powder and Turkey/Cheap fish

M_at likes this

Posted

I've done well on sarnies. Quick to make and cheap.

1 tin tuna, olive oil, wholemeal bread, salad cream. Less than £1.

3 egg, olive oil, wholemeal bread, salad cream. Less than £1

Posted

It's only the protein that's expensive really, carbs cost pennies! Use TVP instead of chicken and beef, and use Nutrisport 90+ to cover the rest and you won't get much cheaper than that!

You mean this stuff mate??

Texturized vegetable protein

Whats it like?? :confused1:

Posted

You mean this stuff mate??

Texturized vegetable protein

Whats it like?? :confused1:

I've never heard of it either!

Got rice & oats in the cupboard! Always good. I like a jacket potato with tuna too. Is turkey much cheaper than chicken?

Posted

yeah turkey is cheaper. 500g turkey mince is like £1.90 in tesco. or turkey breast is like £6 a kilo in tesco

Posted

TVP otherwise branded as Quorn!

Posted

Its not cheap though but I suppose its would be a cheaper alternative to chicken

Posted

My latest discovery has been Soya Beans. 35g of protein per 100g, that's more than Tuna! And they cost next to **** all!

Posted

The turkey mince is 1.70 in ASDA and the turkey fillets which i think are 500g are around 2.50,so a lot cheaper.

It's a lot drier though,throwing a little chinese 5 spice on it does the trick for me

Posted

oats, peanut butter, cheap protein powder, eggs, tesco own brand cottage cheese

Posted

My latest discovery has been Soya Beans. 35g of protein per 100g, that's more than Tuna! And they cost next to **** all!

What they taste like mate?? can you just get them from the big supermarkets??

Posted

Got a big bag of clean baking spuds in morrisons the other day, loads of em, all decent sized and right tasty - 30 fkn pence. Not reduced either, or on offer, that is the on the shelf price.

Coudln't fkn believe it

Oats are dirt cheap around 50p a kilo from Tesco, slightly dearer in morrisons, 1.22 I think for a 2 kilo bag

Milk is actually quite expensive for what you are getting and the bastard thing is the farmers don't make a fkn penny off it - supermarket greed :cursing:

Getting good cheap meat is always a bugger, as someone said earlier, carbs are not a problem, the world turns on carbs - getting protein is altogether more tricky and expensive...

Posted

soya isnt good for you

Posted

I read that on Tnation Dom - something about it being counter-productive to muscle gain? Then a little semi racist sign off about chinese people being skinny.... I like t-nation :)

Posted

I dont really believe its bad, i mean they contain all three of the macro-nutrients required for good nutrition: complete protein, carbohydrate and fat, as well as vitamins and minerals, including calcium, folic acid and iron.

Soybeans are the only common plant food that contain complete protein. Soybean protein provides all the essential amino acids in the amounts needed for human health. The amino acid profile of soy protein is nearly equivalent in quality to meat, milk and egg protein.

But if its fermented , Mercola can be an issue

Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.

But everything in moderate portions should be fine:thumbup1:

Posted

Green lentils, Adzuki beans, and chick peas. (or any other variety)

A mix of the 3 will give you decent amino profile, plenty of low GI carbs, and bags of fibre.

Add some fats, a protein powder, some fruit and veg and you are living very cheaply indeed:thumb:

Posted

sucking off old men for free will net you a few grams a pop (a pop, gettit?)

geeby112 likes this

Posted

Is that what you tell all the young pups in the gym mate??:lol:

Posted (edited)

What they taste like mate?? can you just get them from the big supermarkets??

I think so, I got mine in Waitrose.

They don't taste of anything much at all actually, which I was pleasantly surprised about lol.

You've gotta soak 'em over night to soften them, but even after doing that and then cooking them up for 3 hours they were still pretty crunchy. Apparently frozen ones aren't as crunchy though.

I just cooked a big bag of 'em up in some chopped tomatoes with bacon, onions and peppers. Lasted me a few days, tasted pretty nice!

I'd recommend 'em!

I dont really believe its bad, i mean they contain all three of the macro-nutrients required for good nutrition: complete protein, carbohydrate and fat, as well as vitamins and minerals, including calcium, folic acid and iron.

Soybeans are the only common plant food that contain complete protein. Soybean protein provides all the essential amino acids in the amounts needed for human health. The amino acid profile of soy protein is nearly equivalent in quality to meat, milk and egg protein.

But if its fermented , Mercola can be an issue

Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.

But everything in moderate portions should be fine

Aha, well I'll have to do some research into this, but I'm probably only gonna have like 3-4 Soya meals a month, not like I'm living off the stuff.

EDIT - Ok so I've looked into it. It seems Soy doesn't have as great a biological value as some other forms of protein and for this reason has been shunned. It is also missing the amino acids Cysteine and Methionine.

However it seems that more bodybuilders are starting to realise that although it's not the greatest source of protein, it actually doesn't deserve the horrible reputation it has, which appears to be mostly perpetuated by the companies which produce Whey products and is fine to use just so long as it's not your main source of protein.

Edited by Zee Deveel

Posted

Probably get a few gramms of protein out of the cheese as well!

Seriously you can get decent deals in Waitrose believe it or not sometimes the whole chickens are reduced to about £3 and at the min the breasts are about £6 for six so a pound each aint too bad...and there are decent ones not full of crappy water like some ive had.

Posted

tesco are doing 1kg of frozen chicken brests for £3.20, and i like sainsburys white fish 520g for £1.94, and there doing 1kg of muesli for 58p wich is not bad,

Posted

Is that what you tell all the young pups in the gym mate??:lol:

:thumbup1:

Serves 3 apparently:whistling: