Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on midsection training

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

All advice welcome on a good all round routine for the midsection.

Not after 6 pack and understand that any routine is pointless with out a sound diet.

But just in terms of what exercises and for how many sets and reps and frequancy would be appreciated.

Cheers

Posted

Whenever I train my abs I like to hit them from different angles so I will do something like:

Leg raises/reverse crunch 8 - 12 reps

cable crunches 12 reps

ball crunches 20 reps

Russian twists 20 reps

I do all between 2 and 3 sets. Hope this helps :)

Posted

i do 2 exercises for upper abs, and 2 exercises for lower, each exercise 3-4 sets of 15-20 reps.

twice a week.

Posted

Muscle is muscle - train them the same as any other muscle group in your program.

Posted

you have got a 60 inch chest ffs you weren't kidding was you, anyway cable crunches and when i'm doing tri pushdowns i flex my abs, but with abs imo you have to overtrain so that they're rock hard an tight

Posted

Muscle is muscle - train them the same as any other muscle group in your program.

EXcept that they just recover faster, like calves.

Posted

I think big compound exercises, particularly olympic style lifts like snatches, power cleans, front squats and overhead squats are actually the best ab builders there are... certainly in terms of core strength.

For specific ab exercises though, I do some weighted and some just using bodyweight. There are a million exercises you can do but I think it's important to cover the upper abs (any ab exercise that moves your chest towards your hips), lower abs (exercises moving your hips towards your chest) and obliques (either a twisting or side bending exercise). Sometimes will do isometric exercises too like planks or stomach vacumes.

I pick one exercise for each area and only do one set of each training three times per week alternating between sessions with bodyweight (reps 20+) and with added resistance (rep range 6-12).

This kind of routine has improved my abs no end, and much more so than the more typical routine of lots of high rep sets.