Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

one for the doormen

25 posts in this topic

Posted

be ready with a shake of the head and possibly a tut, at present im furious and may well go on some sort of major killing spree

i'll explain the situation without naming anyone or anywhere, i'll apologise for the vagueness but its a public forum at the end of the day......

currently working on a venue that is connected to another one next door, as a sort of bar (next door) and club (ours), the HD (head doorman) works on the bar with 2 other lads, we have two on the front and one upstairs on a friday, two upstairs on a saturday

we are all on the same radio thing so if it goes land of the pear on a saturday (as it did today) assuming everyone hears it and if its bad enough to leave both doors free all lads can get there (7 tonight)

i dont need to go into sizes, experience, etc im by no means the biggest but in my 5 and a half years feel i have picked up enough to be considered an ok door man, me and my mate (20+ years experience) do the front door of the club, we have manchester accents and this club is about 30 miles away so we know no-one, the other two inside (upstairs) are local lads who know everyone

they struggle on the front door as its peopel they know, and they charge, so its easier for us two, who know no-one to do it and no-one gets in free or takes the pi55, also 25+ years experience on a front door is more beneficial to 6 months experience

anyway, tonight the call goes to get the fook upstairs, all doormen, so i, and my mate race up two flights of stairs to walk into what can only be described as the biggest scene of a fook up ever, i run in and there is one lad on the floor half conscious, trying to get up, a doorlad (one of the local ones) lying on a guy trying to calm him down and a lad (from the bar - vice HD) stood there trying to work out wtf to do (he was in the same boat as me we didnt see anything)

so i take about 5 seconds and make a snap decision, the guy the other lad is lying on and trying to calm down has to go as he's probably dropped the other lad, he gets told to go, he starts waving his hands, raising his hands to me to try and tw*t me, so he gets gripped and is going to go no matter what

grab him, the other doorlad falls over (as he was on top of him) and next second i know im on my **** still holding this other lad, i know ive not been hit and i know i didnt fall over

anyway my mate gets him out with my help and we think nothing of it, the lad on the floor has somewhere been booted in the head and is out cold in a bad way, ambulance called, etc

i spend a few minutes trying to work out how i ended up on my back as i didnt get hit, the the vice HD comes round and says that one of the local lads (not the one that was on top of the lad) was stood round doing f all and when i grabbed the lad to get him out he grabbed me and took me to ground, in the process nearly gettign me booted in the face then it all got sorted out

im fooking furious, in the past i have grabbed another doorlad once, and that was to stop him killing someone, this lad is green but i work on the theory of grab one lad and get him out, a door team is a door TEAM, h had no excuse as i was wearing a long coat, its not as if he could of confused me with a punter

add it to the other post a few weeks ago as a reason why doing the doors is shi* i could be in A&E now with brain damage after a member of my own team put me in a position where i could get booted in the face/head/temple

Posted

so basically to conclude this one lad made the whole door team look weak and also risked a number of them

all this SIA stuff is bollox, it all goes out the window in this situation, get them out no matter what, throw them down all 40 odd steps, everyone see's it and no-one fooks around for ages then, the second your on the floor you're easy prey for 5hithouse skinny ba5tards to put the boot in who would be nowhere near if you were stood infront of them

now fair play with the job you learnt the hard way at times, i ended up on my ar5e a few weekends ago when i fell over a girl as i tried to get a lad out, but what the situation needed was a mullering, yes you may lose your badge but fook me id rather lose my badge and my job then my ability to talk and wipe my own fooking ar5e

rant over

Posted

these risks go with the job im afraid..ive got nearly 18 years experience....and a so called collegue grabbing you and nearly getting you a hiding..isnt a new thing...happened many years ago to me too....angry at time...but you gotta move on....another night= more $hit

Posted

these risks go with the job im afraid..ive got nearly 18 years experience....and a so called collegue grabbing you and nearly getting you a hiding..isnt a new thing...happened many years ago to me too....angry at time...but you gotta move on....another night= more $hit

yeah fair play but there are good mates of mine sat at home with no hours as this lad, who just wants to flirt with women gets hours and pay

the best bit of it was as i got to where the lad was the doorlad who took me to ground had a lad by one leg and was pulling him to the stairs to eject him, we worked out he must have let go of this lad and then grabbed me

i cant be 100% sure but this lad (who he let go of) may have been the lad who booted the other lad in the head (it wasnt the one i grabbed) and then tried to sucker punch one of our lads on the front door before the lad who took me down turned up (after a dissappearign act) telling tales of grabbing people and gettign them out

i see your point though, it isnt the first time its happenned and it wont be the last but it never ceases to pi55 me the fook off

Posted

Please take this as no offence whats so ever but the majority of doormen where im from are just big uselss lads and when it kicks off they normally don't know what to do, bar a few who seem to know how to handle a situation. Over here and i am completely on about here they are mostly big lumps of fellas in groups i have seem many a smaller man knock one of the big lads out.

Over here it isn't regulated that well and most just do as they please.

Granted it must be stressful all those tough guys with the drink looking for trouble, fair play to you cos i couldn't handle all that.

Posted

I'll be honest, i don't have the temprament to do your job......i'd be up for attempted murder(or worse:scared:) I got a line...and once its crossed emotion/natural instinct takes over......i would just be antagonising something i already struggle to control:cursing:

On a lighter note, i'm one of those chatty lovey dovey drunks, i am empathetic, sympathetic(i feel a Grease song coming on pmsl) and see the worlds good, good thing the real sober me is alot more black and white in my theories lol....

Posted

when i was almost 18 i was looking for a second job, i applied as a glass collector in a club(as i wasn't 18 i couldn't do owt else)...by the time the club opened i had turned 18 and was bar staff.....opened a week after my birthday, just less than 3 weeks till xmas....i NEVER felt ANY danger in the first 3 weeks, on the xmas week it was so busy i went to collect glasses as the bar was running out and was making my way back to the bar, arms full of glasses, right in front of me (if you blinked you would have missed it!) one guy started to throw a puch at the other...i was right in between, the guys were there before the punch landed on me(through the broken glass).....forever grateful that i didn't have a medical team trying to patch the pieces of my face together that night.

The head doorman(not involved, but in charge of the guys who stopped me havin a jigsaw for a face) competed for the first time this year...he doesn't remember me(i don't think) but i remember him, he had picked good lads to look after the place and it saved MY bacon! He could hear my support from the crowd:thumbup1:

Posted

Nothing I enjoy more than seeing a doorman giving it the big and then getting knocked out by somebody who isn't a fat lump. :thumb:

Posted

You need MATES around you SIMPLE as that.

NO WAY on gods earth would l work with some one l didnt know or hadnt had decent reports about mate.

Posted

ive put the incident in my mind, it may stay there for a long time, if it happens again he'll get a dig this is what ive done with all the 5hithouses ive worked with in the past

damn right, they tend to help you out in those times when you go a bit overboard and vice versa

Please take this as no offence whats so ever but the majority of doormen where im from are just big uselss lads and when it kicks off they normally don't know what to do, bar a few who seem to know how to handle a situation. Over here and i am completely on about here they are mostly big lumps of fellas in groups i have seem many a smaller man knock one of the big lads out.

Over here it isn't regulated that well and most just do as they please.

Granted it must be stressful all those tough guys with the drink looking for trouble, fair play to you cos i couldn't handle all that.

your lucky then mate, most of the ones ive met are small and can't do anything :) tey dont even look liek they can, im small myself but have a couple of things in my pants

Posted

mate i know what it feels like,i used to do the doors with a so called doorman working with me,he was there just for the talent,one night it kicked off in reception,we had the call and this doorman followed me to the incident,well i thought he did.manager was out cold,someone was trying to grab the takings,so i go for the one grabbing the takings,chuck him out,goes back in to help another doorman,suddenly a whack to the left ear which bloody dazed me,i turns round 2 blokes standing there,they decided to do a runner cause they aint knocked me out,anyway all finished and wheres the other doorman,well your guess as good as mine.we had to walk round the club to find out where he was,his excuse was he thought it was kicking off in the club,total b.....ks i say.he was, behind me, saw how bad it was and lost his bottle.

if there are any so called doorman on here and just do the job for the talent,then you are putting your collegues at risk,if you haven't got the balls to go in and sort a fight or confront people then take a hike,go and do a job like collecting shopping trolleys cause thats all your good for or you could take the other option and grow a pair of balls.i was a doorman from 1998-2003 and have seen many blokes just do the job to pull women,them kind of blokes you don't need,you need blokes that are switched on all through the shift and that will get an incident done and dusted in minutes.i have ejected people without even touching the buggers,just a few words and they're gone.

Posted

I did a 6yr stint in my local town and left the job as I no longer felt safe with the 'team' I was working with.

Before the HD let me start on his door, I HAD to go out on team nights with the lads, build a rapport and learn about the guys. When I did my first shift I knew the lads strenghts and weaknesses, who would work on the front door and who would be working inside the club.

It went down hill when 2 of the guys moved away and the HD and we were short for 3wks. We borrowed some guys from a neighbouring pub that always had issues and asked them to patrol inside with 3 of our lads. For some reason they both went on smoke'o together and left half of the dance floor unmanned, tw@ts! Anyway, fight kicks off, blah blah blah, I get my nose broken (you should have seen the other guy...:whistling:) and 3 ppl are carted off to A&E. First incident resulting in anyone being taken to hospital in 4months. We were pis$ed off to say the least. Me more so, but revenge is sweet :thumb:

From that day we started losing lads and getting more and more 'loaned' guys to help out but not one of them you could rely on. The final straw was when we HAD to put 2 new guys on the front doors and ended up with a battalion of Para's in... This was probably the scariest night I have ever had!

Posted

I work on the door (inside) of a very large club. All in all theres 9 of us on a friday and 12 on a saturday. 3 outside the rest positioned inside. I trust my collegues enough to be there when I need them and they always have been, vice versa. Funny thing is im the biggest out of all the staff. I don't and no one else tries to act the big man. Im very well liked, I don't know anyone here really as I moved here recently but everyone likes me due to the way I work. Im very fair, I almost always dissolve a situation with just talking. But don't get me wrong something gets out of hand then they get thrown out there and then.

And the whole flirting thing seems to be tagged onto me because the way I look. I get a lot of birds constantly talking to me asking for number etc. But I have a girlfriend and wouldn't cheat on her so it's not an issue.

Posted

I work on the door (inside) of a very large club. All in all theres 9 of us on a friday and 12 on a saturday. 3 outside the rest positioned inside. I trust my collegues enough to be there when I need them and they always have been, vice versa. Funny thing is im the biggest out of all the staff. I don't and no one else tries to act the big man. Im very well liked, I don't know anyone here really as I moved here recently but everyone likes me due to the way I work. Im very fair, I almost always dissolve a situation with just talking. But don't get me wrong something gets out of hand then they get thrown out there and then.

And the whole flirting thing seems to be tagged onto me because the way I look. I get a lot of birds constantly talking to me asking for number etc. But I have a girlfriend and wouldn't cheat on her so it's not an issue.

What are the rest of the team, midgets? :whistling::beer:

Posted

What are the rest of the team, midgets? :whistling::beer:

Nope, im 6ft 2.

Posted

Nothing I enjoy more than seeing a doorman giving it the big and then getting knocked out by somebody who isn't a fat lump. :thumb:

And i hope you think of that Chris the one time you got three lads jumping up and down on your head, your mates have ran away and you are left there totally defenceless, i know for a fact you would be praying for doorstaff to aid and assist you, then possibly give statements to be presented to the CPS in order for these thugs to be punished.

I agree that some doorstaff are shirt fillers, some are wanna be hardmen and some can be bullies.

The majority are good lads and it sickens me when people write crap, the amount of people i have saved in my line of work, i'm there to ensure that the good people enjoy there night and leave safely, the knob'eds either dont get in or they get sniffed out and removed sharply.

i dont wish to start an arguement, just wish to make my point that you should not tar everyone with the same brush, some may find it offensive.

Posted

^ Yeah but you have to remember that Chris would have take down all 3 guys single handed and throw them out the club and have to tell off all the door staff who would be too busy letting in under age birds and chatting up every bird in the club to notice what happened.:rolleyes:

Posted

seems like theres some good lads on here :)

ive had every excuse going in the past as to why people are explaining why they bottled it, they have an urgent phone call, or they grab some innocent skinny bloke and drag them out while you battle the 8 big fookers that are left

the best lad i ever worked with was a year older then me, the same as me, no real training (as in martial arts) apart from a bit of weights, we were about 20 and 21 not massive lads i think about 15 stone (me) and 16 (him)

on two occasions it went off when we were working together and on both occasions if the other had bottled it they would be knocking on the others families doors explaining why their brother/fella/son was dead and you didnt have a mark on you, it was a shame when he didnt renew his badge (after he got himself in 5hit with the police) as id work with him on any door anywhere, we used to say we'd work with each other whenever we could as you didnt even have to ask

ive worked with some bang on lads, and some absolute muppets who you'd consider getting your mates to come in the pub and kick fook out of to teach them a lesson

Posted

NO WAY on gods earth would l work with some one l didnt know or hadnt had decent reports about mate.

Im with you on that one mate, I worked the doors in SA for a few years before coming out here and doing them for a couple years. Firstly you gotta trust and know who you work with, it is after all a seriously dangerous job, and secondly there is so much red tape involved in the trade here that the drunking tw*t taking the p!ss is the one protected by law. Its crazy, I know doorman can go overboard sometimes and very often do, but Ive always found with a good mouth on you most things can be sorted without ever having to bend an arm.. jmo...

Posted

And i hope you think of that Chris the one time you got three lads jumping up and down on your head, your mates have ran away and you are left there totally defenceless, i know for a fact you would be praying for doorstaff to aid and assist you, then possibly give statements to be presented to the CPS in order for these thugs to be punished.

I agree that some doorstaff are shirt fillers, some are wanna be hardmen and some can be bullies.

The majority are good lads and it sickens me when people write crap, the amount of people i have saved in my line of work, i'm there to ensure that the good people enjoy there night and leave safely, the knob'eds either dont get in or they get sniffed out and removed sharply.

i dont wish to start an arguement, just wish to make my point that you should not tar everyone with the same brush, some may find it offensive.

Couldnt have said it better myself...

Posted

I have a very good friend who lost his badge, as the team behind him did not do the job. As Dave has indicated and this is my own thinking Sia is s*it. The guy is a top man a makes a call and had no back up. Slapped a guy who was trying to glass him as two wet heads where trying to figure out what to do. He now works unlicensed, but I know whom I would have next to me on the front line.

Posted

i not long past my sia licence and got to be honest what a load of crockerly there was 20 of us doing the course and me and my m8 were the biggest at 17st plus not saying size matters alot but i would say 80% of them were under 10stone.

there no condatct in doing the licence just knolage which yeah u do need but 10 of us done the physical intervention training nothing special really just showing us wrist locks and manchester spins 2man take out and 3man take out andwho to get someone off you if they mount you and that was for £60 yeh i injoyed it i mostly do jujtsu and bit of boxing

i think ever1 desevers a chance yeh u get mappets but you can normally spot them a mile away head down no eye contact u can spot them but YOU CANT SAY ALL NEW DOOR SUPERVIORS ARE NO GOOD you just cant before the shift you have a team briefing expescaly if there a new guy working and need a signal if you need back up

i know door supervisors ntrouble kicks off and they need a toilet all there as a family you look after eachover so dont slag off all the new boys coming through :cursing:

Posted

if you need the toilet mid kick off do it

chances are if you get banged you'll **** in your pants anyway :)

Posted

ive been in that situation Dave been grabbed up by one of the cocks from the filler agency while trying to lock up some guy.

it is quite annoying for sure.

TBH Im suprised you didnt give him a taste of his own medicine.

Posted

ive been in that situation Dave been grabbed up by one of the cocks from the filler agency while trying to lock up some guy.

it is quite annoying for sure.

TBH Im suprised you didnt give him a taste of his own medicine.

if id known i probably would of done, i didnt know what had happenned, i thought id been banged, it was about 20 minutes later (after the ambulance had gone) that the other doorman told me, my jaws been hurtign a bit since so i may have been kneed or kicked in it in the seconds i was on my **** in a lock myself

man lads would of walked up and banjo'd him but my style is more camera happy, there will be a situation where he is trying to get someone downstairs and i'll push/boot/knee/throw the wrong person in the heat of the moment