Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hardcore gyms in Newcastle

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys and girls,

Well i am on my last cruise now and getting home on Jan 11th.

I am currently a member of some kind of Jane Fonda gym at home and am looking to move into a more appropriate environment. Just wondering if any guys on here know of anywhere in Newcastle of surrounding areas that would be of the more "hardcore" variety, if you get what I mean?

Cheers for any help in advance

Chris

Posted

I'd be interested to know too, Chris, as some friends' son at Uni there would like to know where the hardcore gyms are - he lives in Heaton...

Posted

Heaton is about 2 minutes from my house. My mam works at the hospital there.

Anything I find out I will send across to you. Has he just started or been there a while?

Posted

Heaton is about 2 minutes from my house. My mam works at the hospital there.

Anything I find out I will send across to you. Has he just started or been there a while?

Thanks :) His 2nd year now - says all gyms too shi-shi or far away...

Mad on soccer (poor chap) and wants now to gain more upper body strength...

Posted

when i went to uni in Durham there was around five uni GYMs really good cheap and full of freasher tottie :thumbup1:i reckon durham is bit of a trek from newcastle thou

Posted

Yeah, Durham is a bit of a distance to go.

Was hoping a bit closer, I'm not sure on the state of the uni gyms, might have a little check.

Posted

Newcastle Uni gym seems quite good looking at the website - decent range of free weights and machines - but it's unclear if non-students/non-staff can use it.

Bump for Scottswald - he's from that part of the world.

Posted

I could recomend some good gyms in s/land...its just a case of travelling again though! Although alot of lads that go to my gym are from newcastle/shields/durham end!

Posted

Sunderland is a good 30 mins away as well, but I think a good gym is worth travelling for, so any suggestions would be worth considering Rossy, cheers.

Posted

I'll have a look Darren, maybe there is a contact e-mail?

Posted

Where abouts you wanting to travel to in the toon Bro??

Posted

Hi Mick, I livein Forest Hall so I am not to far away from anywhere really. Plus I train mid afternoon so I always beat the traffic.

Just looking at options for somewhere I can keep learning and lift some bigger metal (bit of a cliche).

i would really benefit from the motivation of stronger more experiences guys around me.

Cheers Darren, I'll have alook in a minute.

Posted

Well theres a few mate,the health and racquet club is a very good gym...pricey but the gear is second to none! Theres also mayfair gym which is a proper body builders gym! The puma centre which also includes a membership at the brand new aquatic centre gym next to the stadium of light...not to badly priced and the facilities are meant to be excellent (includes the olympic pool and other things too)! Hope these help buddy!

Posted

www.ncl.ac.uk then select "Sport" from the drop-down menu.

Young soccer guy Tom uses the Uni facilities but wants to know if there's a hardcore place close to Heaton - he doesn't have a car at Uni...

Posted

Cheers Rossy, great help, I'll look them up and do a bit more research. Do you use any of these places?

Posted

I use the health and racquet club mate,but i get student discount...it is pricey as i said but you will love the facilities and although i know you can get a workout done anywhere...i sort of like being in a gym i feel comfortable in as i feel like i want to go back again and again. You will also get things like tennis/badminton/squash/sauna/steamroom/classes/pool included in your membership! It also has a really nice bar restaurant,just something to think about,visits are free so maybe worth a look!

Posted

Theres Morgans PowerHouse,

http://www.morganspowerhousegym.co.uk which is just in pelaw and owned by iffbb pro Ian Morgan. It has won for the last 2 or 3 yearsbest gym award at the Nabba North Britain show due to the ammount of competitors entered and their placings..

Theres also the gateshead international statium too, just on felling bypass.

Posted

Excellent mate, I'll have a look. Have you trained there personally? whaths the environment like if you have? I am very swayed by the environment of a place and the people in it.

Posted

Ive trained there since the day it opened about 14 years or so ago. Atmosphere is good, which is what i need as i train around 930 most days. Theres the regulars around this time of doorstaff, taxi drivers and shift workersd like me. The afternoon is probably the quietest time, but it also has its regulars too.

Obviously between 5 and 7 as with any gym its the busiest, which can cause delays for machines. But having said that, it makes for a good environement.

You could always pop in for a try and see if it suits you...:thumbup1:

Posted

men at work thats on two ball lonnen in fenham above the cash and carry, think its 30-35 a month, trained there for 5 years but now training at my friends gym what he got built in his back garden which does the job.

Posted

Cheers for the advice guys, something more to look at.

I'm home in 10 days now mate so I might pop in. It wouldn't take 2 minutes to get across to Pelaw around lunch time.

Anybody else have any ideas??

Posted

Goldstar gym - heaton

Men at Work- fenham

2000- Felling

Life- Gateshead

JJB- byker

Ncl and northumbria gyms are good

all these have heavy weights and racks.

Posted

Thanks.

Pauly. do you use any of these, any experience of them??

Cheers guys

Posted

I'd recommend all of them mate. There are more that I'm not sure of the name/location which I havent used. If you're like me, go in, head down, train, PWO shake, home. Then all will be excellent for you.