UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Tramadol

15K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bkoz 
#1 ·
I know this is not a steroidal thread but cant think of where else to put it.

Does anyone know, does tramadol:-

A...affect muscle growth and

B...Affect Sperm count.

What, if anything can boost sperm count and its mobility ?

#6 ·
Tramadol, is supposed to be a synthetic morphine, but not as pleasant. :) Too much can make you feel a bit sick. Not aware of it affecting sperm count, however, the lethargic feeling can I suppose be detrimenatal to motivation at the gym. I don't think you have any concerns though with the points youve raised.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
its an opoid

careful with this stuff.........its very hard to come off after long periods...no matter what people say

also...watch you dont start tacking too many at once, because they are euphoric

in high doses some experience very bad moods and short tempers...as well as excesive sweating and head rushes...sometimes nausea

pretty sure its not morphene though...they are different things

#8 ·
AntWarrior said:
Tramadol, is supposed to be a synthetic morphine, but not as pleasant. :) Too much can make you feel a bit sick. Not aware of it affecting sperm count, however, the lethargic feeling can I suppose be detrimenatal to motivation at the gym. I don't think you have any concerns though with the points youve raised.
I always found this to be much more pleasant than morphine however i thought it was not strong enough, i took a load of these in 1 go and it didnt make me ill. Unlike morphine as far as im aware it doesnt take away the lining of your stomach. :)

#9 ·
YoungGun said:
I always found this to be much more pleasant than morphine however i thought it was not strong enough, i took a load of these in 1 go and it didnt make me ill. Unlike morphine as far as im aware it doesnt take away the lining of your stomach. :)
Tramadol is made by different companys, and suppose to be the same generic drug. The first type I had, i felt really chiled, no sickness. Iv'e tried other "brand" since and iv'e always felt unpleaasantly sick. Maybe the other cheaper brands wernt as good. Or maybe i'm just a lightweight now :)

#10 ·
Tramadol's classed as an opioid analgesic - basically (as has already been mentioned) it's a drug for taking pain away that is similar in chemical structure and composition to other opium/morphine like drugs.

Here's what it says in the BNF (the book your GP looks in before prescribing most things):

TRAMADOL HYDROCHLORIDE

Additional information interactions (Tramadol); hepatic impairment; renal impairment.

Indications

moderate to severe pain

Cautions

see notes above; impaired consciousness; excessive bronchial secretions; not suitable as a substitute in opioid-dependent patients

General anaesthesia

Not recommended for analgesia during potentially light planes of general anaesthesia (possibly increased intra-operative recall reported)

Contra-indications

see notes above; uncontrolled epilepsy; acute porphyria (section 9.8.2)

Side-effects

see notes above; also diarrhoea; fatigue; less commonly retching, gastritis, and flatulence; rarely anorexia, syncope, hypertension, bronchospasm, dyspnoea, wheezing, seizures, paraesthesia, and muscle weakness; blood disorders also reported

So, a possible side effect is muscle weakness, which might answer your first question, but this should be taken in context. Not all people who take tramadol will experience these side effects, just like any drug you take. If you read the cautions in any off the shelf medication, you'll be amazed at the amount of side-effects they mention!

As far as sperm count goes, I doubt it. It's not fully understood exactly how tramadol works or all it's possible action and side-effects. Maybe one day they've find out it gives you super-sperm? Or maybe fewer. I have read that it has been used to treat premature ejaculation, but I was looking at it more from a post operative pain controlling medication, so I didn't read anymore than that.

You haven't said why you want to know these things. Maybe talking to your GP might shed a bit of light on it? :)

#11 ·
thanks fellas, appreciate your knowledge as always.

Ive been given tramadol to try and take away the pain i am having in my hip...just dont want anything to have a negative effect on my bodybuilding and my good lady and i are trying for another baby, so dont want anything affecting that either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.