Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

back pain disc?

67 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I injured my back 14 weeks ago. I was bit stiff for a week and some pain.

Over the next 6 weeks I had slight pain in right glute, very tight right ham and glute.

Seven weeks after initial injury I woke with bad pain in right glute and rear of right knee aching/clicking.

After a couple of days pain spread down my outer calf to my ankle/foot. Causing pins and needles type numbness to calf/foot.

Calf has lost over an inch compared to left leg now!mad.gif

I’ve been told it’s most likely a disc problem. It seemed a little better a week and half ago as pain left foot, and only slight in calf. But last weekend pain returned to calf, foot/ankle!frown.gif

Its frustrating not being able to train!banghead.gif

How have people recovered having similar back problems hope it isn’t the end of training.

Cheers

Posted

I'm still suffering with it....

mine is a slipped disk between L4/L5. The pain down the leg is where it spesses on the spinal cord causing sciatica...

the docs say it takes 2-3 months and it should clear up... mine has been longer than that...

I'm signed off work for another fortnight but the way things are going I don't think I'm going to be back to work till xmas...

still training, but avoiding things that could injure the lower back...

Posted

You might find something helpful in here...

Posted

Hey babe

It does sound like a disc to me, you prob initially irritated it and then continued to work out?? and this has cause what most call "a slipped disc" i call a disc bulge or protrusion

What has happened is that over time prob with weight lifting and maybe your daily job/activities/posture is that you have tended to put more pressure of the front of you discs and then you may have done something like deadlifts, squats etc etc and that was almost the final straw and you created a bulge in your disc

The way i kinda explain it to my patients is that your discs are like a jelly doughnut :tongue: you have a harder exterior and a more liquid like center! When you put more pressure on the front of the disc the back of the disc can become weaker and sometimes something even as similar as bending over the brush your teeth can be to much and what tends to happen is some of the liquidy middle moves backwards causing a bulge.

A bulge depending on where it is can be pain free just uncomfortable, a slighlty bigger bulge can be quite painful in the lower back but if its near the nerve you will begin to have referred pain down one or both of your legs!

If you have a complete bulge with nerve pains its more called a herniated disc!

Have a look at this pic

spineconditionsfo4.jpg

if you can have a look down the middle you will see nice little holes at every level, thats where the nerves come out and if you have something taking over part or all of that whole then you are going to be experienceing these pains down your leg (can be numbness, pins and needles, burning etc)

If you have a herniated disc this is going to be something that is prob going to require surgery (but i dont think you do) If you have a disc bulge you should be ok but it will take some time and no, you dont need to give up training for ever! It may take a 6-12 weeks depending on how bad it is!

Its all about trying to counteract the things that have put you in this position so spending less time in a flexed position, so limit sitting for to long, bending and all those type of things. and in general do not at the moment stay in any one position for any length of time!

You need to start just doing like standing back extensions to try and take some of the pressure off the front of your disc.

Other things to try without having to see a physio are

Massage for the muscle spasm that will be surrounding that area of your spine

Heat packs for the muscle spasm and pain relief

Anti Inflams

Pain relief

And google "mckenzie exercises" and have a look at that stuff which you can do at home!

Hope this was of some help!!

x

Posted

Hey babe

It does sound like a disc to me, you prob initially irritated it and then continued to work out?? and this has cause what most call "a slipped disc" i call a disc bulge or protrusion

What has happened is that over time prob with weight lifting and maybe your daily job/activities/posture is that you have tended to put more pressure of the front of you discs and then you may have done something like deadlifts, squats etc etc and that was almost the final straw and you created a bulge in your disc

The way i kinda explain it to my patients is that your discs are like a jelly doughnut :tongue: you have a harder exterior and a more liquid like center! When you put more pressure on the front of the disc the back of the disc can become weaker and sometimes something even as similar as bending over the brush your teeth can be to much and what tends to happen is some of the liquidy middle moves backwards causing a bulge.

A bulge depending on where it is can be pain free just uncomfortable, a slighlty bigger bulge can be quite painful in the lower back but if its near the nerve you will begin to have referred pain down one or both of your legs!

If you have a complete bulge with nerve pains its more called a herniated disc!

Have a look at this pic

spineconditionsfo4.jpg

if you can have a look down the middle you will see nice little holes at every level, thats where the nerves come out and if you have something taking over part or all of that whole then you are going to be experienceing these pains down your leg (can be numbness, pins and needles, burning etc)

If you have a herniated disc this is going to be something that is prob going to require surgery (but i dont think you do) If you have a disc bulge you should be ok but it will take some time and no, you dont need to give up training for ever! It may take a 6-12 weeks depending on how bad it is!

Its all about trying to counteract the things that have put you in this position so spending less time in a flexed position, so limit sitting for to long, bending and all those type of things. and in general do not at the moment stay in any one position for any length of time!

You need to start just doing like standing back extensions to try and take some of the pressure off the front of your disc.

Other things to try without having to see a physio are

Massage for the muscle spasm that will be surrounding that area of your spine

Heat packs for the muscle spasm and pain relief

Anti Inflams

Pain relief

And google "mckenzie exercises" and have a look at that stuff which you can do at home!

Hope this was of some help!!

x

:thumbup1:

As a back sufferer myself, THAT my girl is a fantastic post, :beer:

Posted

ahhh thanks guys, its such a common injury that i face with my patients numerous times a day so if you need any advice or help let me know!!

Posted

its also such a horrible injury that can be such a pain in the ass (excuse the pun) that if i CAN help im more than happy to!!

Posted

indeed MissBc

A most excellent post.

The mckenzie book is good, i bought it last year after suffering my suspected fractured spine..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steps-Pain-Free-Life-Rapidly-Relieve/dp/0452282772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223819223&sr=8-1

yea i was a competetive rower for 4 years and at the same time studying for my Physiotherapy degree (so sitting for hours in lectures) and have had and still have chronic lower back pains myself, i was seeing my physio 2 times per week for like 3 years. He suspected i may have had numerous Pars interarticularis fractures from such a repetitive action in rowing but i had xrays and scans and it all seemd ok

HOWEVER i still 7 years later suffer and think i always will i have just learnt how to best manage it and it prob only gets to me about once or twice every 2 months!

Posted

I'm still suffering with it....

mine is a slipped disk between L4/L5. The pain down the leg is where it spesses on the spinal cord causing sciatica...

the docs say it takes 2-3 months and it should clear up... mine has been longer than that...

I'm signed off work for another fortnight but the way things are going I don't think I'm going to be back to work till xmas...

still training, but avoiding things that could injure the lower back...

cheers, any sign of your back getting better?

I've been off work for 6 weeks now and signed off for another 2.

Posted (edited)

Cheers missBC, Great post!

I have been doing some of mckenzie exercises, seemed to be helping untill i got worse a week ago, duno if it was something to with getting ill then (tonsillitis).

I'm gona try and get more active next week with out causing pain see if that helps.

Edited by scorpion

Posted

Cheers missBC, Great post!

I have been doing some of mckenzie exercises, seemed to be helping untill i got worse a week ago, duno if it was something to with getting ill then (tonsillitis).

I'm gona try and get more active next week with out causing pain this week see if that helps.

Yea being sick may have made it feel a tad worse!!

I would be very very careful when "getting active" these can be very tempermental things and you dont want to push it cause if its just a bulge you can make it worse and then you will know about it!

Posted

Yea being sick may have made it feel a tad worse!!

I would be very very careful when "getting active" these can be very tempermental things and you dont want to push it cause if its just a bulge you can make it worse and then you will know about it!

All I'll be doing is cardio (cross trainer), core work ,dips, pull ups and anything that doesn't cause pain.

Posted

All I'll be doing is cardio (cross trainer), core work ,dips, pull ups and anything that doesn't cause pain.

ok thats fine, i would be very careful with sit up or anything like that, i would focus alot of your transverse abs so help stabilise your lumber spine more!

PS - just cause it doesnt cause pain doesnt mean its not going to aggravate the area so be very caerful! DONT go on the treadmill either. For cardio do the bike, cross trainer, rower (carefully), swimming etc anything that is low impact!!

Posted

Why shouldn't he go on the treadmill?

the forces through a disc aren't more than sitting are they?

McKenzie therapists would be keen to point out that you should check for a directional preference before starting a course of their exercises.

It would also be useful to check for signs of nerve root compression if a disc prolapse is suspected. Foraminal stenosis would be more likely here and then checking for effect of McKenzie extension exercises becomes particularly important. Carrying out extension exercises and sitting in lordosis etc etc could make things worse.

I would advise full assessment from a good therapist. With regards training, I would say you can do anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt or change your NEURO symptoms (like pins and needles). Add one thing at a time so you know what has affected you if something changes. That'll give your therapist extra info to formulate your treatment and rehab program.

Finally, the prognosis depends largely on what is found on your orthopaedic/NEURO exam. So get that done and you'll have a better idea. Anything else is heresay and you might as well chuck a dart in a board and pick a number......

Good luck

Posted

I'm seing a phsyio. Not really much good, all they do is give me a differnet exercise to do at home each time i go, only there for about 10min useless.

No signs of improvement. I was told I would get a mri if no improvement over next two sessions.

Had the worst experiance ever last night!!!.

I woke after 2 hours sleep delirious. Hard to explain, as if my mind was trying to think of thousands of things at once (kinda flu like).

Thought I was going insane, couldn't get out of it, tried wetting my face etc.only came around after drinking some pure orange jucie and talking to my wife for ten mins.

Spent the next 10 minutes shaking I think from shock. Verry scarry!!!!

I started taking 100mg of diclofenac (long acting) on friday night. Added 60mg of codeine before bed last night which i think caused it.

Anyone had a similar experiance?

Posted

Hi, i had an epidural 2years ago this january after an MRI revealed a slipped disc between L4 and L5 it wasnt nice and looking back id had it for about 5 years and just coped with the pain ive had physio and she explained that my disc is torn and split which isnt good.

But nearly 2 years on i still get pains every day so when i go gym im very careful and if it doesnt feel good or right then dont carry on doing it.

You only have 1 back so dont risk it !!

Posted

The diclofenac can make certain people very ill and 100mg is a big dose its a strong drug and actually did nowt for me apart from make me feel sick till i stopped taking it, co-codamol worked much better for me.

Posted

good post

Posted (edited)

cheers, any sign of your back getting better?

I've been off work for 6 weeks now and signed off for another 2.

not at the moment...

it is strange.. it gets better then all of a sudden regresses back to the omfg it hurts stage...

seeing the doc again tomoz.. see what he says... i haven't worked since aug 18th... signed off till the 22nd of this month but there doesn't seem to be an end to it yet.

my issue is the co-codamol and diclo... the boss won't let me work at all as the box warns 'may cause drowsiness' he won't let me drive at all. It doesn't make me drowsy but while he is paying me to stay home i'm not complaining.....

Edited by Slamdog

Posted

The diclofenac can make certain people very ill and 100mg is a big dose its a strong drug and actually did nowt for me apart from make me feel sick till i stopped taking it, co-codamol worked much better for me.

yep! 50mg 3 times a day put me back in hospital!

Posted (edited)

i had surgery (private)2 years ago for herniated disc on l 4/5 .i re herniated it 2 weeks after surgery and have suffered with on going problems since .

i would guess i have spent in the region of £10000 over 3 years and have still got pain .my only advice is keep positive and dont let this thing get to you .ill list the things that got me moving again and back to work and most importantly back training.

1)clinical pilates.

2)a good masage

3)not sitting for to long ( puts a hell of a lot more stress on the problem area)

3)losing 2 stone (excess weight is no good for an injured back)

4)getting moving(fitter) again (cross trainer)

5) 2 X paracetamol 2x ibuprofen 4x a day when things are bad .diclo did nothing for me

im probably going to have revision surgery in france in the new year to hopefully put an end to the original problem but i find it is as much a mental problem as well as a physical one.

best of luck!

Edited by colrob1

Posted

good post colrob.

I wish you success with the revision surgery, although your last point is an interesting one.

After all this time you have chronic pain (refers to the length of time not severity). All sorts of weird things can start happening when you've had pain for a long time and that depends on loads of things (mostly psychological factors). In fact psychological factors pre injury and during rehab are just about the only predictors of outcome in long term pain conditions.

In the literal sense it does mean pain is in your head. After all its a psychological construct. Whilst acute pain (ie you stub your toe) means there's an obvious trigger (or in your case a torn disc), later on down the line (after multiple failed surgeries) that initial trigger is far less important. The pain kind of gets in your head (hence phantom limb pain) and that's when positive psychology is sooooo important.

Good luck and stay positive.

P.S. For those with acute onset, you should still get the initial trigger (disc tear) assessed with full Neuro assessment to assess the extent of the injury. Successful imput at this stage and the right psychology can avert problems down the line.

Posted

thanks for the input phys sam .the chronic pain i am suffering from is mainly due to my lower back muscles going into a protection mode and stiffening up because of the injury .the original disc problem is still there as i only have to move my pelvis a millimetre and i can get the pain to shoot down my leg .on knowing this i tend to hold my lower back in a guarded manner resulting in the lower muscles getting fatigued throughout the day .in some respects the 1st surgery helped with the really agressive leg and foot pain but i have been left with residual pain due to the fact that the the nerve is still being compressed (shown on mri with contrast dye)

the mental thing that i was going on about was put accross wrong.what i meant was that some times i feel like giving up and not leaving the house ,going to wrk etc

but i know that getting back into the swing of things has helped my recovery to a certain level.

i am under a world class spinal surgeon who is a pioneer in minimally invasive procedures.he feels that looking at my mri the foraman has closed up and he would like to open this space by laser (keyhole) and remove the re herniated disc material and ablate the disc back so there is no hole left in it to hernaite again.all this will be done with me awake and only if he can reproduce my pain while i am awake doing spinal probing at the problem level ,

thanks for your advice

col