Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to reduce post injection pain(pip).

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Post injection pain can literally be a pain in the butt, amongst other places.

Hygiene and sterility, pre injection is obviously paramount in avoiding PIP.

We all know what that means, for those who don't it's in the stickies.

Ok, for the last month iv'e been using the Z track method and found that PIP especially in my quads is practically non-existent.

How to employ the Z track method?

Firstly get your injection point, then pull the skin across or down from that point, this moves the cutaneous and subcutaneous tissues a centimetre or two, this helps reduce the sensitivity of nerve endings, remembering to keep an eye on the injection point.

Next insert the needle sharply in at a 90dg angle to the depth you need.

Inject the steroid (after aspirating) at a rate of about 10 secs/ml, when fully injected keep the needle in place for another 10secs, so allowing the steroid to seep into the muscle.

Remove the syringe quickly, at exactly the angle you went in and release the skin, this is what stops any of your steroid leaking out and reduces bleeds, then apply a little pressure to the area, but don't massage the area immediately afterwards, wait a couple of minutes or you can cause some of the oil to be released back up the needle track and into subcutaneous tissue, which can lead to swelling and PIP.

Exercising the muscle afterwards will assist the absorption of the steroid by increasing blood flow to the area.

Finally, if you know where and how to inject safely into the ventrogluteal muscle, this is the best choice as there are no major nerves or blood vessel.

Edited by Mars

Posted

looking forward to trying this later on. thanks

Posted

Excellent info mate, Very very Excellent. Reps.

Posted

Excellent info mate, Very very Excellent. Reps.

Cheers redman, you kind of gave me the idea with your sticky, i think it would make a good prologue.

Posted

is this what you mean about moving the layers apart?

Posted

is this what you mean about moving the layers apart?

Nice, love those gloves and hand technique, she can jab me anytime:)

Posted

10secs per ml injection speed? i do about 30-40 secs otherwise i find it hurts more after..

i also find a very gentle massage to be beneficial to reducing pain..

so i do the complete opposite to what the article says! whoops!

Posted

To reduce the pain i massage the jab site with a fresh swab for about a minute.

Posted

Who worte the article?

I did, from information gathered on the Z track method and IM injection protocol for the NHS.

Posted

10secs per ml injection speed? i do about 30-40 secs otherwise i find it hurts more after..

Yeah well thats cause your a girly DB:laugh:

I always did the same up till a month ago, but have found this method has really reduced PIP.

Posted

To reduce the pain i massage the jab site with a fresh swab for about a minute.

Me too,(used to) but looking at it, the method does make sense.

Posted

This method is the dogs! I just had the sweetest inj ever cheers mate!

Posted

40 seconds per mil?? must feel like forever when you put 3+ ml in!!

Posted

how many days do you have to leave a site before re-using it?? if only using 2-3 ml shots?

Posted

how many days do you have to leave a site before re-using it?? if only using 2-3 ml shots?

7 days minimum, no matter how many ml you inject.

Always use the smallest guage needle possible to get the job done.

Posted

Good info, mars1960. :thumbup1:

Cheers mate.

Posted

Post injection pain can literally be a pain in the butt, amongst other places.

Hygiene and sterility, pre injection is obviously paramount in avoiding PIP.

We all know what that means, for those who don't it's in the stickies.

Ok, for the last month iv'e been using the Z track method and found that PIP especially in my quads is practically non-existent.

How to employ the Z track method?

Firstly get your injection point, then pull the skin across or down from that point, this moves the cutaneous and subcutaneous tissues a centimetre or two, this helps reduce the sensitivity of nerve endings, remembering to keep an eye on the injection point.

Next insert the needle sharply in at a 90dg angle to the depth you need.

Inject the steroid (after aspirating) at a rate of about 10 secs/ml, when fully injected keep the needle in place for another 10secs, so allowing the steroid to seep into the muscle.

Remove the syringe quickly, at exactly the angle you went in and release the skin, this is what stops any of your steroid leaking out and reduces bleeds, then apply a little pressure to the area, but don't massage the area, this can cause some of the oil to be released back up the needle track and into subcutaneous tissue, which can lead to swelling and PIP.

Exercising the muscle afterwards will assist the absorption of the steroid by increasing blood flow to the area.

Finally, if you know where and how to inject safely into the ventrogluteal muscle, this is the best choice as there are no major nerves or blood vessel.

Im a bit of a newbie to gear, but have had a couple of painfull shots.

From memory, Im almost sure I hurried it and came back out with the needle at the wrong angle. Could the post pain the following day I had be caused by traumatising the muscle?

Big Reps, cheers for that

Posted

Im a bit of a newbie to gear, but have had a couple of painful shots.

From memory, Is almost sure I hurried it and came back out with the needle at the wrong angle. Could the post pain the following day I had be caused by traumatising the muscle?

Big Reps, cheers for that

More than likely mate, muscle trauma is obviously a precursor to PIP, especially in newbs to injecting, i def moved the needle around a bit on my first jab, it's only natural to be a little apprehensive.

Posted

Done the Z-Track method this morning, the most painless easy jab i have done so far, slight ache at the moment but no where what i have experience before.

Cheers for the advice.

Posted

Done a winny shot last night, was my most quickest and painless jab ever.

Posted

I find slower is better as long as the needle is fixed firmly in the same place.

If its wigeling about because you are trying to shoot in a difficult to reach muscle group then it can better to put the oil in a bit quicker.

I always leave the pin in for a second before withdrawing.

Also I find keeping the plunger depressed when withdrawing the pin also helps because if you leave it go you create some additional back pressure.

Posted

I was just curious as to how people insert the needle??

I insert slowly... but i've seen a few techniques and some people insert like a dart... I dont think i could do that for fear of missing the injection site!!

I never get PIP from anything really, maybe a very dull ache but nothing major.

Posted

I was just curious as to how people insert the needle??

I insert slowly... but i've seen a few techniques and some people insert like a dart... I dont think i could do that for fear of missing the injection site!!

I never get PIP from anything really, maybe a very dull ache but nothing major.

I agree, I inject slowly too. Is that very bad or acceptable?

Posted

what size needles do you use for the glute and what length, i use blue for injecting and there 1 and a quarter inch i believe.

i have only ever injected my glute, where would be the next best place to rotate sites?

thanks