Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrSweeney

Low fat, High Carb breakfast??

13 posts in this topic

Im trying a cutting regimen suggested by Hugo Rivera that ensures all carbs are consumed before the 4th meal, and all fats are consumed from the 3rd meal onwards. (40% daily carbs in breakfast, 45% PWO and 10% in meal 3).

Managed to put the diet together - other than the breakfast!!

Im looking for breakfast suggestions with the following ratios -

Protein 25g, Complex carbs 85g, Fats 0.

Has anyone got any ideas?!

But he doesnt want any fat, Or did I read that wrong?

Oats and whey will have almost no fats in there, I see no problem with this.

I think the idea here is to get maximum muscle glycogen stores up and burn carbs for fuel for training, then a form of depletion using fats for fuel to switch on fat burning.

It probably would work, but I am not so sure that the body can switch between diffrent fuels that fast.

Low fat okay - scrap the beef, keep the eggs, ditch the butter on the toast.

Whey and Oats is the best match for your macros.

But as Hacks said can the body switch that quick? Who knows

Eggs have a good amount of fat in them so those are out unless they are just the whites.

I never toss the yolks but when people say eggs I think they mean the whole egg.

Sure, egg whites and toast is cool too.

The body uses both fuel sources together so yes it can switch that quickly, it won't however do it through glycogen depletion and I'm sure thats not the idea of the diet. In the absence of carbs the body will use fat as an alternative fuel source.

The carbs in this diet are put around times of exersize and cortisol release and the fats in time of rest and recovery, makes sense to me anyway.

Edit : I take back what I said a diet containing no fats in a meal is flawed.

11 minutes..2 replies. Good work lads!

Yeah, ideally I'm looking for a fat-free breakfast rather than one low in fat. As for the oats and whey suggestion, maybe i've got cheapo-nasty oats, but they have 8.5g of fat (1.5 saturated) per 100g. To hit the carb target of 85g, im guna be taking in ~11g fat (2g saturated)....do i just need to dig deeper into my pockets and buy some quality oats, or is it actually pretty difficult to put together a fat-free breaky?!

Palatinose and whey isolate? That would signficantly reduce the fat intake. It would also give a very low GI carb (GI: 32 I think)

One of the best things about oats is the quality fats! But for the sake of the diet, go with Palatinose. You can get it from myprotein.co.uk - but their delivery time is hit and miss.

For breakfast id suggest.

2 scoops of Whey / 80g oats / 250ml orange juice

or

1 whole egg and 6 egg whites / Porridge.

i've just had 100g of coar$e oatmeal, 2 scoops of cnp pro pep in 250ml of skimmed milk...

nuke it except the pro pep for 2 mins and whilst its cooling add the pro pep. its like porridge and tastes great.. depending on your flavour of protein powder. I like choc and vanilla flavours. the macros are pretty good too.

Seems the only way I can get the big whack of complex carbs needed without any fats is to invest in this "Palatinose" suggested by invisiblekid (cheers for that mate, wasnt aware this product existed!). Thanks for your input guys

How about sweet potato?

Even banana's have a good amount of carbs, hell so does bread.

You are looking for carbs that are of the complex persuasion right?

Yeah, preferably...you're spot on regarding the bread idea. I found that 6 slices of wholemeal meets the macros needed, but it leaves me feeling stuffed! 40 mins cardio following that is painful!

Just discovered that Durum wheat (most cheap wok-stir fry noodles or semolina) is near enough perfect. Only 100g needed aswell. Boring, but does the job :)