UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

2 day a week routine??

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  richengineer 
#1 ·
Due to life I can now only go to the gym twice a week. reading online shows I can do 2 x full body a week and still gain.

is this right? has anyone here had any success from x2 a week?

also routine wise shall I just do something like this

a

squat 5x5

bench 5x5

row 5x5

shoulder press 3x10

lat pulldown 3x10

curls 3x10

b

deadlift 1x5 ramping up

military press 5x5

hack squat 3x10

pull ups 3x 10

db bench 3x10

tri ext 3x10

abs 3x12

any good or do I need more volume for x2 a week

See less See more
#2 ·
Obviously overall progress may be slower that it could be but more recovery time and less chance of injury from frequent training. You can probably go as heavy as possible on the day with the longest rest inbetween. Try get a good workout each time cause missing one or two is going to have more of an impact.

#3 ·
My gut feeling is you should decide on either size or strength as a priority and design a routine with this in mind.

For size I would forget about 5x5 and stick to sets of 8-12 for everything. This will allow you to get far more volume into a limited amount of time.

Others are better placed to advise re. strength but I suspect step 1 would be to drop all the 'fluff' exercises.

Another option to consider would be to decide on one area where you particularly want to make progress and focus on that whilst just training to maintain in other areas.

#6 ·
I've have times when work commitments only allow 2 days a week.

Your going to struggle building muscle, still can though. All over routine will be best and big compound movements, last set to failure, and no smaller exercises as there is only so much time and energy you can put into one session

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.