Jamesey

Lateral Raise Advice

10 posts in this topic

I am pretty new to weight lifting and I have been having trouble with lateral raises. It is an exercise I want to get good at because it will help my currently narrow shoulders look a bit wider hopefully. Anyway, I get pain in my right shoulder from this exercise. It feels like a tendon gets strained easily and I can feel the pain for days or weeks afterwards, while I abstain from the exercise, if I move my arm in certain positions. I am only using about a 2kg weight as well which is a small amount.

My question is, is there a way of doing this exercise that will be gentler on my shoulder? I have thought about doing it lying down on my side for example like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPgmpY89Rsc

Do you think that would help? Or is there some variation that I haven't considered?

1 hour ago, Jamesey said:

I am pretty new to weight lifting and I have been having trouble with lateral raises. It is an exercise I want to get good at because it will help my currently narrow shoulders look a bit wider hopefully. Anyway, I get pain in my right shoulder from this exercise. It feels like a tendon gets strained easily and I can feel the pain for days or weeks afterwards, while I abstain from the exercise, if I move my arm in certain positions. I am only using about a 2kg weight as well which is a small amount.

My question is, is there a way of doing this exercise that will be gentler on my shoulder? I have thought about doing it lying down on my side for example like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPgmpY89Rsc

Do you think that would help? Or is there some variation that I haven't considered?

watch that dude, if you persist you can do damage that can take years (if ever) to heal

1. Stretch and massage those shoulders. Often its best to do this at home give the time it takes. You can lie face down on a bed with a tennis ball under the delts and jiggle about over the painful bit.  It hurts but it works

2. try variations by keeping the weights forward slightly,body forward, elbows higher or lower, maximum height of weight,  rotation of the palms (i.e. pinky finger higher or lower. you really need to experiment (aka fiddle about)  to find a fluid movement that suits you personally. Its a lot of trail and error. 

3. Slow and steady, it is all too easy to add too much weight on lateral raises given the hardest part is overwhelming near the top . Focus on muscle contraction. if you hands start raising about your elbows the weight is too heavy

4. try a cable machine instead  or the lying lateral raise 

5. try seated lateral raises with seat at various inclines

I prefer lying lateral raises because they put significant strain on the side delt right from the start of the movement, whereas the standing version allow a certain amount of momentum to be built up against essentially zero resistance.

As far as the pain goes, have a read of the following (especially the second video):

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm going to rest the shoulder for a month or so and then start over again using your suggestions.

2 hours ago, Jamesey said:

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm going to rest the shoulder for a month or so and then start over again using your suggestions.

id go to a chiropractor and they will be able to tell whats wrong, and relieve any pressure on the shoulder through massages, acupuncture and the other tools they have . 

I have had something similiar, but pain now only in the first rep of right shoulder in a lot of exercises such as lateral raise front raise and presses.  Have a slight subluxation in shoulder, had physio for it in past when it hurt all the time, now wouldnt notice it, just for the first rep

Should have added that if pain is still there for days or weeks after then it most likely will be rotator cuff.

you should see a physio and get some resistance bands to help stretch it out

Get the meglio resistance bands on amazon, they are identical to the ones the physio give me,  different colours for different strengths.

i only ever get a slight pain now on the first rep of certain exercises