Ultrasonic

Is fat spot reduction not a myth after all?

22 posts in this topic

Just now, FuqOutDaWhey said:

This is gen con so go away with your training nonsense it's not welcome round these parts.

Couldn't decide if it was a training or diet post so stuck it here :P.

FuqOutDaWhey likes this

2 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

Couldn't decide if it was a training or diet post so stuck it here :P.

It's certainly not general!

43 minutes ago, DappaDonDave said:

It's certainly it general!

What kicks you got on today S A?

3 hours ago, Tricky said:

What kicks you got on today S A?

If you need some new creps, nike.com has a sale.

Use code EXTRA25 for 25% off and FCBFAN for free delivery.

They do stack!

#hotukmdeals

Just bought my kid a pair of Hypervenom Phelon's in the new navy and red colourway. RRP £45, cost £23 delivered!

1 hour ago, DappaDonDave said:

If you need some new creps, nike.com has a sale.

Use code EXTRA25 for 25% off and FCBFAN for free delivery.

They do stack!

#hotukmdeals

Just bought my kid a pair of Hypervenom Phelon's in the new navy and red colourway. RRP £45, cost £23 delivered!

Adidas originals man over here brah 

Very slightly off-topic, but it's also totally possible to burn abdominal fat alone via hormone manipulation without diet manipulation, and I'm not just talking about taking thyroid drugs or any kind of fat burner. I've noticed a pattern over this last couple of years of drug use, and that is that the more I let my estrogen get out of control, the easier I tend to put on fat around my mid-section. Conversely, when I've overdone it a bit trying to figure out doses of anti-estrogens I've leaned up visibly even though I've been in a surplus.

Interesting article on the role of estrogen in distributing abdominal fat https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/jc.2003-031327

Ross1991 and D4V33 like this

6 hours ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Very slightly off-topic, but it's also totally possible to burn abdominal fat alone via hormone manipulation without diet manipulation, and I'm not just talking about taking thyroid drugs or any kind of fat burner. I've noticed a pattern over this last couple of years of drug use, and that is that the more I let my estrogen get out of control, the easier I tend to put on fat around my mid-section. Conversely, when I've overdone it a bit trying to figure out doses of anti-estrogens I've leaned up visibly even though I've been in a surplus.

Interesting article on the role of estrogen in distributing abdominal fat https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/jc.2003-031327

I've not read the link but what you've said makes sense, given the different typical fat distributions in men and women.

5 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

I've not read the link but what you've said makes sense, given the different typical fat distributions in men and women.

I've pretty much just summed up what it's all about anyways, the article just provides actual evidence rather than anecdotal ;)

17 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

I've pretty much just summed up what it's all about anyways, the article just provides actual evidence rather than anecdotal ;)

I've always thought this especially looking at where majority of women tend to store fat. Although I do keep my estrogen under control as best I can anyway. :thumbup1:

I'mNotAPervert! likes this

4 hours ago, Ross1991 said:

I've always thought this especially looking at where majority of women tend to store fat. Although I do keep my estrogen under control as best I can anyway. :thumbup1:

I always used to think well, I don't tend to bloat much so I might as well just block gyno with nolva and that'll be it. Definitely noticed less fat gain since I started using AIs though, even though diet or nothing else has changed.

Ross1991 likes this

21 hours ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

I always used to think well, I don't tend to bloat much so I might as well just block gyno with nolva and that'll be it. Definitely noticed less fat gain since I started using AIs though, even though diet or nothing else has changed.

Interesting, Abdominal fat is a right bastard for me, top 4 of abs fine, just that 'bump' on the lower abs (below the belly button) seems never to shift. Its not really noticeable, only from the side view but bugs me. Really started to come about after I hit 40.

I might up AI for a while as an experiment. Previously when I take Adex ED and E3D I never really noticed any different in mood, liido etc

To this day (gyno aside) I am still confused by signs of high E and low E as symptoms are similar 

45 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

Interesting, Abdominal fat is a right bastard for me, top 4 of abs fine, just that 'bump' on the lower abs (below the belly button) seems never to shift. Its not really noticeable, only from the side view but bugs me. Really started to come about after I hit 40.

I might up AI for a while as an experiment. Previously when I take Adex ED and E3D I never really noticed any different in mood, liido etc

To this day (gyno aside) I am still confused by signs of high E and low E as symptoms are similar 

Yeah, same here mate and I'm not even 30 yet! A lot of people use non-estrogenic heavy androgens toward the end of a cutting cycle and I've also found it to work well - providing and Winnie seem to be two of the most popular choices and I believe that they work so well because they have anti-estrogen activity of their own, plus they're DHT based, and overall they just create the right environment for fat burning.

29 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Yeah, same here mate and I'm not even 30 yet! A lot of people use non-estrogenic heavy androgens toward the end of a cutting cycle and I've also found it to work well - providing and Winnie seem to be two of the most popular choices and I believe that they work so well because they have anti-estrogen activity of their own, plus they're DHT based, and overall they just create the right environment for fat burning.

I'm on var at the moment (4 weeks in) and I think I might stop and run winnie towards the end for the last 4 weeks to gauge the difference. Will do 14 - 16 weeks in total. Cycle is mild enough TTM 500 - 600mg

Going away in September and wanna be ripped to shreds by then  

I'mNotAPervert! likes this

On 7/2/2017 at 3:57 AM, Ultrasonic said:

Menno is good at pulling apart common views on different training and nutrition topics and finding patterns that challenge to accepted belief on things, and this article is a good example of that. I think in real terms chasing spot reduction is a distraction from the requirement for whole body fat loss from maintaining a continued negative calorie balance, but this article does raise some interesting points about how possible spot reduction may be, and about what kind of studies need to follow. 

Ultrasonic and JohhnyC like this

On 15/07/2017 at 4:28 AM, dtlv said:

Menno is good at pulling apart common views on different training and nutrition topics and finding patterns that challenge to accepted belief on things, and this article is a good example of that. I think in real terms chasing spot reduction is a distraction from the requirement for whole body fat loss from maintaining a continued negative calorie balance, but this article does raise some interesting points about how possible spot reduction may be, and about what kind of studies need to follow. 

Solid point 

On 7/3/2017 at 5:35 AM, I'mNotAPervert! said:

I would like to call it water not fat in your particular case. All the hormones manipulations  resulting in fat loss (Actually a water loss) you are referring here might be valid for the ones who are using high amount of androgen. This way of thinking might never be applied to a natty or untrained person. Reason being the ratios between all the essential hormones never go so much out of hands for a non user to feel any fat loss from specific areas.

3 hours ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

I would like to call it water not fat in your particular case. All the hormones manipulations  resulting in fat loss (Actually a water loss) you are referring here might be valid for the ones who are using high amount of androgen. This way of thinking might never be applied to a natty or untrained person. Reason being the ratios between all the essential hormones never go so much out of hands for a non user to feel any fat loss from specific areas.

I'm gonna 100% disagree on that one mate. It was a progressive gain around the mid-section and when I've started an aggressive deficit, I drop water like crazy in the first week and I didn't see any notable tightening of the mid section in that week. The link I provided also goes into detail on how abdominal fat gain and estrogen are linked, it's interesting :)

5 hours ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

Reason being the ratios between all the essential hormones never go so much out of hands for a non user to feel any fat loss from specific areas.

Testosterone obviously tends to decrease with age in men but I don't know about oestrogen. It doesn't strike me as inconceivable that the ratio changes.

I can certainly see that the variations in fat distribution between different people who are natty could be caused by differences in hormonal balance between them.