UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Talk of possible riots after Grenfell Tower fire

2K views 78 replies 21 participants last post by  Frandeman 
#1 ·
Couple of radio interviews suggesting that anger will lead to riots.

things keep getting worse

#5 ·
I can't help but think it was a huge mistake for the police/fire services to tell the residents to stay in their flats. I know it's supposed to be the correct procedure for tower blocks as in theory it's supposed to be very difficult for a fire to spread from one flat to another, but surely a common sense call to evacuate should have been made when they saw how quickly the fire was spreading.

I'm sure more people would have got out had they instructed an evacuation. The amount of people I've heard on the TV saying they were speaking to their relative/friend on the phone at the time of the fire and saying to them they need to get out, for the person in the flat to say no the police have told them to stay where they are and they would be rescued and they haven't been heard from since.

#7 ·
I can't help but think it was a huge mistake for the police/fire services to tell the residents to stay in their flats. I know it's supposed to be the correct procedure for tower blocks as in theory it's supposed to be very difficult for a fire to spread from one flat to another, but surely a common sense call to evacuate should have been made when they saw how quickly the fire was spreading.

I'm sure more people would have got out had they instructed an evacuation. The amount of people I've heard on the TV saying they were speaking to their relative/friend on the phone at the time of the fire and saying to them they need to get out, for the person in the flat to say no the police have told them to stay where they are and they would be rescued and they haven't been heard from since.
I was thinking that aswell mate.

the first thing I would want to do is get the f**k out the building as soon as seen smoke or fire anywhere in the block. only way I wouldn't be getting out there is if the fire was blocking the stairwells and I couldn't physically run out.

would be wet towels over the head and body and get out there.

#6 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if there are riots, but it will just be opportunists. No one connected to the tragedy would want to destroy what's left of their community surely.

I just stopped working in social housing for an affluent London Borough and you would be surprised at some of the attitudes that prevail there. And the incompetence from top to bottom is astounding.

#19 ·
I agree it seems the wrong decision but that's hindsight, these were professional responses, you try escape on a stairwell and get stuck between two floors completely ablaze and you're done, staying put would be the most sensible option to at least have a chance it's a terrible horrible tragedy but to blame the emergency services isn't fair

#22 ·
I think the Emergency Services were making the best decision they felt at the time. From what i have read and seen on the news, the fire spread pretty rapidly and quicker than anyone has seen before.

I'm going to reserve judgement on anyone involved until we know, how it started and how it spread so quickly.

Painfully sad event RIP

#27 ·
of course but when you have a chance even 1% it's a chance , trying to escape in that scenario , can't see due to smoke, unknown dangers of being trapped possible blocked stairwells etc it's the better option although horrible outcome either way , I don't doubt people tried and unfortunately failed this way and the what if... the cladding might've burned alone and eventually could have been suppressed enough to get to the victims

#63 ·
A large part of these "Protestors" are just trying to cause trouble or a corbyn supporters. The Media and Labour supporters are really wiping this up into a frenzy. Sad that the people died but makes no sense to me to encourage migrants to come to this country and then for the council to house them in taxpayer paid for social housing. In my view if people can't contribute their share economically then whats the point of them been here.

Calling for these people to be housed in Multi million ppound houses ?, heck most council estate folks dont respect anything, so not chance any millionnaire is going to let them us their flat. Im not seeing the jeremy corbyn or his fan club of adele, beckham, lily allen et co offering to give these folks their sparerooms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.