jdsw

Help required 51 yr old

18 posts in this topic

Hi

As you can see from the pics i need help trying to get down to single digits but whatever i try i cannot seem to shift the front and sides.

I have tried maintenance low cal and upping cals for 2 weeks then reducing again.

51yrs old

192lbs

5 foot 8"

weight train 5 days week.

very little cardio but my lifting routine is 15 reps 30 second interval during sets and knackared after the workout.front.thumb.jpg.8c34bfc4398706b635c31f092e5bc7b8.jpgside.thumb.jpg.9d7787aebfcbbc74f1a27b9f21495227.jpg

Why only 30 seconds rest between sets?? Take a bit longer and you'll find lifting has a bit more power, there is no need to only have 30 seconds, try 60-90 seconds if it lets you lift more ;)

also training five days a week isn't nescessarily good for you, maybe try 3 days a week lifting and do two sessions cardio between them

but your looking pretty good so your doing something right ;) 

Thanks for the feedback guys.

We always want a bit better and i feel if i cant get to where i want to now then i never will as age, joints and injuries will take its toll.

Its more habbit now (but dont get me wrong once the session is over i feel amazing) and feel there is something missing if i dont get my work out done for the day.

Suppose i could try and cut back the weight sessions or increase time between sets and add in some cardio but it will be difficult to change.

Sasnak and billy76 like this

Each body part twice per week on rotation for example mon then fri again and so on. Its the stubborn waist lower back that gets to me. Overall im happy with my size just the excess round the waist lower back.

Seriously though it's just a matter of time. 

Just keep dieting and maybe now start adding in cardio as you are getting lower body fat, cardio will be needed to get even lower. It takes time so add it in and wait it out.

Looks more like you're pinching loose skin than fat in those pics to me. Looking good though so I wouldn't worry yourself too much. 

Im a similar age to you and facing same issues ( im finding being fatter than you to not be a good loose skin solution) 

Inb4 'fasting ISN'T magic' , have you thought about incorporating it into your feeding schedule ? Gonna try a one day weekly fast ( note i DIDN'T say w***r fast , thats for crazy people right ?!?) and see how i go. 

Allegedly the body recycles loose skin during fasting , particularly for extended periods. Grim but apparently people in concentration camps lacked loose skin for this very reason. As did the 382 day fasting guy

angusB.jpg

Thanks for replies

Cardio seems to be the missing link here.

I tried to avoid it by reducing calories slightly.

I will add some in starting this week.

Will have a read up on IF

gazzamongo likes this

Throw the cardio in now youve stalled mate. 100% tbh looks loose skin if you ask me and youre in good shape already. I have a friend whos also in his 50s and he competes looks similar to you, hes fully natural, not sure if you are but you look good either way and its inspiring seeing more and more o50s still grafting in the gym. I wanna be that jacked grandpa in 25 years.

Keep up the work!

Thanks for the comments they inspire me to try even harder to get to where i want to be which i feel is still quite away off. I was thinking it could be water i was holding onto as i drink at least 4 ltrs per day.

I was even going to try and find a trainer up in the Glasgow area to try and help me to my goal.

Sometimes the waist/lower back dosnt look too bad, this was this morning

Sorry about the daft funny face but i am generally quite shy and no one else sees my body except her in doors as i have the luxury to train in

the gym before its open to the public.

IMAG03341111.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Very good condition for 50+ mate, good going. It doesn't look like you're holding much fat in the lower abs to be honest, I think the bulk of your problem is the saggy skin, it's not tight to your abdominal muscles so you're probably never going to have abs that pop and have that 'shrink wrapped' look unfortunately.

Lifesizepenguin likes this

1 hour ago, DLTBB said:

Very good condition for 50+ mate, good going. It doesn't look like you're holding much fat in the lower abs to be honest, I think the bulk of your problem is the saggy skin, it's not tight to your abdominal muscles so you're probably never going to have abs that pop and have that 'shrink wrapped' look unfortunately.

Thanks, you are probably right. As i said the buzz i still get after a hard session will keep me motivated to keep going. It was my goal for 10% for my 50th but think it was a bit unrealistic. Hopefully this year i can get close.

3 minutes ago, jdsw said:

Thanks, you are probably right. As i said the buzz i still get after a hard session will keep me motivated to keep going. It was my goal for 10% for my 50th but think it was a bit unrealistic. Hopefully this year i can get close.

Either way I bet the difference between your physique and your mates who are the same age is chalk and cheese. Next time you work on adding mass and get yourself in to a surplus look at progressively overloading on a crunch movement and a leg raise movement, you could add some thickness to the abs which could help give them that 'pop' next time you get lean.

13 minutes ago, DLTBB said:

Either way I bet the difference between your physique and your mates who are the same age is chalk and cheese. Next time you work on adding mass and get yourself in to a surplus look at progressively overloading on a crunch movement and a leg raise movement, you could add some thickness to the abs which could help give them that 'pop' next time you get lean.

Yes you are correct about the difference in physique. i have been doing lots of vacums lately but will add in the leg raises.

40 minutes ago, jdsw said:

i have been doing lots of vacums lately.

Go easy on those. I've had three years of an unidentified and unrelenting pain after something went ping when I tried the vomiting cat pose ( totally not kidding. Yoga is legit hardcore)