Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neil5000

Squat Carryover

7 posts in this topic

Just wondered what people opinions were on squat technique and its carry over to deadlifts? (low bar, high bar, front, zercher etc.)

I'm currently training for a competition where I need to improve my deadlift a lot and there is no squat event, so I'm basically using the squat as a deadlift accessory.

On my squat day I have switched from wide stance low bar to high bar with the same stance as my deadlift, so much narrower, as I've read a lot of people seem to prefer high bar for deadlift carry over. I also use front squats on my deadlift day.

Mainly wondering if anyone has noticed any difference between the techniques from their training personally or if it really doesn't make enough difference to matter?

In my opinion there is a definite carryover. I'd even say irrespective of stance if you are increasing squat numbers this should help increase deadlifts. How much carryover I couldn't say as obviously everyone is different.

I pull conventional but squat slightly wider and as my squat numbers came up so did my pulls

There will be 'some' carry over but a big squat won't necessarily mean you have or gain a big deadlift and visa Versa..

Deadlift and squat are both very technical lifts,you Defo need to train both..Front squat I'd say has the best carry over due the positioning...

narrow stance squats are more quad dominant we're as a wider stance is hip dominant..I use a,let's say medium stance with the bar just at the bottem of my traps.

There is a big carryover. About a year or so ago I hadn't done deadlifts for a couple of years as I had back issues from carrying furniture up stairs. I was training squats heavy as that didn't upset my back and on my first attempt with deadlifts I got 4 reps with 180kg and could have done more reps but didn't want to push my luck.

many that run the bulgarian method with no deadlifting note a significant increase in the deadlift once the movement pattern is regained 

i always say the best assistance to the deadlift is a squat and the best assistance to a squat is a deadlift 
more so the former than the latter but its still the case for both

Other than general overall increase in strength that both compound lifts realise, I don't believe there is any correlation between the two in the sense that improving one will directly improve the other.   In some cases it will help of course, but that's the same for any muscle/strength building exercises that are involved with squats and deads (which is pretty much everything).