natsud

Recovery advice needed to help me sleep

38 posts in this topic

If your training correctly it will make you want to sleep when you wind down from the gym. I often have a mid afternoon nap after a Good weights session. Sleep is a large part of the bodies natural recovery process so I don't think it is your training. I honestly don't think its a food thing either! I'm going to go out on a limb and say its stimulants or mental stimulation keeping you awake. Its either the ingested type of stimulant like a  pre-workout  or a mental stresses, like the overthinking of any current issues either home or work related, possibly could be a combination of all 3.  

 

  

mangob likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, natsud said:

wicked well that's great, ive been missing my beans on toast :-)....  guess whats on the menu tonight!!!   or would I be better with something like 50g of oats in the café at the gym straight after a session, then my tea a hour or so later?   (salmon, 50g rice, 100g broc, 100g peas, 100g asparagus)

yes it was an online calc as sedentary for work, but like you say didn't account for training in the week.

Beans on toast is fine :). Focus on daily totals, not what you have when.

I would personally not turn to melatonin and just fix this problem natuarally. Ending up relying on drugs to sleep is best avoided IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The human body can go without food a lot longer than it can without sleep. ;) I do not believe this sleeplessness is a food or nutritional issue. Its not how the body works.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Natty Steve'o said:

The human body can go without food a lot longer than it can without sleep. ;) I do not believe this sleeplessness is a food or nutritional issue. Its not how the body works.  

thanks for the suggestion,  I hadn't mentioned before so just wanted to say that I do feel knackered and tired after a gym session... the mrs is always complaining that I'm tired and ready to got to bed at 10pm.   she even asked me if I'm okay hahaha,

tnx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Natty Steve'o said:

The human body can go without food a lot longer than it can without sleep. ;) I do not believe this sleeplessness is a food or nutritional issue. Its not how the body works.  

The aches are causing the lack of sleep but I think the aches are being caused by undereating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

Although really low calories at the end of a contest prep can actually cause difficulty sleeping I think.

For sure, anecdotally I get this every prep without fail. Horrible, tired but just lay there wide awake. In the end I think I end up sleeping in 30-45min sleep cycles. Sometimes I'll get up at 3am just to answer client check-ins for an hour or two and then go back to sleep.

Ultrasonic likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, natsud said:

thanks for the suggestion,  I hadn't mentioned before so just wanted to say that I do feel knackered and tired after a gym session... the mrs is always complaining that I'm tired and ready to got to bed at 10pm.   she even asked me if I'm okay hahaha,

tnx

 

Your problem is you waking up in the night with muscle ache? (Magnesium and better recovery) Sleeping aid may help (not advisable long term). Additional to that - check your stimulants. You wont be able to sleep the night through if your body is high on stimulants like beta-alanine. Do you understand the concept?

Ideally you want your brain and body to work in sync - and not in the opposite way. i.e brain - stimulant  body- trying to rest.

take @Natty Steve'o as an example - he mentioned that he takes a nap in the afternoon without any issues. This works why? His body and brain are in sync - they both want the same thing.

as others have stated - re-think diet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackstone labs do a supplement called anesthetized which is meant to be awesome at knocking you out

 

Not for every night use though, just once or twice a week when youre struggling to sleep 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ah24 said:

For sure, anecdotally I get this every prep without fail. Horrible, tired but just lay there wide awake. In the end I think I end up sleeping in 30-45min sleep cycles. Sometimes I'll get up at 3am just to answer client check-ins for an hour or two and then go back to sleep.

An overactive mind can hinder sleep. Thinking about answering clients etc at 3 am may be the problem even though you may think its the ache that is keeping you awake.  

A mixture of drugs, stims and work commitments + racing mind are a lethal combo to promote sleep deprivation. 

Then again I have never been comp lean so don't know how this would effect sleeping regularities.  I believe going below 10% is bordering upon unnatural, dipping below 5% can interfere with normal bodily function and nutrient absorption. 

1 hour ago, Ultrasonic said:

Although really low calories at the end of a contest prep can actually cause difficulty sleeping I think.

 

With all due respect The OP states approximately 15% Bf so he is hardly in contest shape or near prep condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mangob said:

Your problem is you waking up in the night with muscle ache? (Magnesium and better recovery) Sleeping aid may help (not advisable long term). Additional to that - check your stimulants. You wont be able to sleep the night through if your body is high on stimulants like beta-alanine. Do you understand the concept?

Ideally you want your brain and body to work in sync - and not in the opposite way. i.e brain - stimulant  body- trying to rest.

take @Natty Steve'o as an example - he mentioned that he takes a nap in the afternoon without any issues. This works why? His body and brain are in sync - they both want the same thing.

as others have stated - re-think diet.

I find taking a nap rather beneficial to my recovery, while sleeping endocrine system comes to life. Your brain starts sending signals down to your gonads, telling them to produce massive amounts of testosterone, preparing you for the day ahead. ;)

mangob likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many variables that can be causing this it may be a process of elimination to determine the cause. 

As other have said, nutrition is key to recovery. Poor nutrition will mean your body struggles to repair and rebuild and it can cause unsettled and poor quality of sleep. 

Stimulants can be the cause, a busy mind preventing you from unwinding. Stress either at work or home, too much electronic use before bed such as mobiles or tablets.

Getting bloodwork may also be beneficial to check everything is as it should be. 

Obviously permanent fatigue can be linked to other things such as sleep apnoea, depression, anxiety, etc. 

I don't get much more than 5-6 hours sleep per night but I've been like that for years. It's just the way I am. Even taking a zoplicone I only sleep for 6 hours. 

I'd also look into your lifestyle and consider training before work in the morning, leaving you free to unwind after work and relax. Look into meditation techniques, relaxation, etc. 

Like I said, a million things it could be. Hope you get some answers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now