LeeDaLifter

New Bench Is Needed

24 posts in this topic

I was finishing a set of shoulder presses (55kg bench bar) and as I put the bar back on the bench it crumbled :( 

Need a new one, I can manage with just the bar for now.

1 hour ago, LeeDaLifter said:

I was finishing a set of shoulder presses (55kg bench bar) and as I put the bar back on the bench it crumbled :( 

Need a new one, I can manage with just the bar for now.

Bit confused as you what you mean? What's a bench bar? What crumbled?

For a normal bench have a look on ebay for a 2nd hand commercial bench. Think I paid about £70 for one that does incline/flat/decline. If you don't have money/space for a power rack then I would recommend you do bench press with dumbells.

You put a barbell on a bench :confused1:. Or does your bench have upright rack type supports as part of it?

As above, look for one that does flat, incline and decline - and importantly has a support to wrap your legs around to let you use the decline properly (some don't!)

2 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

You put a barbell on a bench :confused1:. Or does your bench have upright rack type supports as part of it?

As above, look for one that does flat, incline and decline - and importantly has a support to wrap your legs around to let you use the decline properly (some don't!)

Na haha, don't use barbells anymore. I like the feel of curling the bench bar, looks more beasty in the mirror.

3 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

Bit confused as you what you mean? What's a bench bar? What crumbled?

For a normal bench have a look on ebay for a 2nd hand commercial bench. Think I paid about £70 for one that does incline/flat/decline. If you don't have money/space for a power rack then I would recommend you do bench press with dumbells.

Its just a £60 bench with a bar. Only goes upto 50kg. 

I take to bar off (as a free bar) and do my curls and presses. 

A weld on the cross bar snapped and the whole thing crumbled, was left holding the bar haha. 

Could of hurt myself badly from the way it fell :(

I'm going to continue using the bar, I never benched that much because 50kg was just too light so I use the bar with 40kg - 55kg (55kg with extra weights I had put on) 

5 minutes ago, LeeDaLifter said:

Can't upload pic of bench, it says file is too big

Take a photo at a lower resolution (the same as the one you posted successfully above).

Proper barbells are rated much higher than 50 kg BTW, so you're still talking about something unusual.

2 minutes ago, LeeDaLifter said:

Haha oh, thought he was on about dumbells!  

I'm still in shock of my loss :( RIP Benchy

I know what a dumbell is. Still confused what your your referring to. 

Would help if you could post picture of the whole bench. You said picture was too large. You need to make the picture smaller to post it. You can copy and paste it into a word program and then make it smaller.

12 hours ago, LeeDaLifter said:

I have out grown that bench

IMG_20170518_221702.JPG

You should count yourself seriously lucky that you weren't bench pressing when that happened!

Do you do any lower body training?

You're at a point where you need to start buying some proper equipment or consider joining a gym. If you're going to keep training at home on your own you need to consider safety, so either use dumbbells or have something to stop the bar crushing you if you fail.

I forgot to say - it looks like your current bar may be too narrow to use a proper grip width and you might be best replacing this too. What is the gap between the plates?

1 hour ago, Ultrasonic said:

You should count yourself seriously lucky that you weren't bench pressing when that happened!

Do you do any lower body training?

You're at a point where you need to start buying some proper equipment or consider joining a gym. If you're going to keep training at home on your own you need to consider safety, so either use dumbbells or have something to stop the bar crushing you if you fail.

Im going to join a gym this year and step up my working out. 

I was lookin at the correct way to bench and the correct way to hold the bar and it does feel narrow. 

Na I dont train my legs :( they look beefy n I have good thighs. I'll start my legs when I join a gym. 

My stamina is bad,  I smoke too :( gan need stop that. 

Cardio will probably help with the stamina problem as well as obviously being good for general health.

If you're planning to join a gym anyway I'd scrap the idea of buying a replacement bench.

On 19/05/2017 at 0:48 PM, Ultrasonic said:

Cardio will probably help with the stamina problem as well as obviously being good for general health.

If you're planning to join a gym anyway I'd scrap the idea of buying a replacement bench.

The gym has anything I need :) I'll get some decent dumbells for my rest days and keep the benching at the gym 

3 hours ago, LeeDaLifter said:

The gym has anything I need :) I'll get some decent dumbells for my rest days and keep the benching at the gym 

Rest days are for rest, you don't need dumbbells for this.

superdrol likes this