Jack of blades

Low squat trend

18 posts in this topic

I have noticed a lot of people squatting way lower than necessary. Don't get me wrong it's none of my business how people train. It's just it's become such a trend to squat so low that your sitting down on your ankles that almost everyone doesn't count a squat unless your doing it supper low. I cant even go that low even without any weight on. Doing a normal range I can do a lot of weight but in there eyes it doesn't even count as a squat. What do you guys think

If you can't get into a squat position without weight on you won't be able to with, you'd be getting a stretch reflex at the same point cueing you to squat upwards regardless. Either way, anything past parallel is perfect. 

Stephen9069 likes this

There's nothing wrong with them going a2g just as there's nothing wrong with stopping at parallel or just below. If you can't get into the position even unweighted then maybe focus on mobility a little? Not that you need to squat like that but it's nice to have full rom.

Once again it boils down to either personal preference, ego lifting or having a genuine functional need to squat weight that low. For muscle building it's just not necessary- the benfit / injury ratio goes way up the lower you go, parallel is just fine. Same goes for bench pressing. No need for elbows to go past the line of your ribcage for the purposes of muscle building.

Makes me laugh when you see guys with fu**ing huge legs in their training vids on YouTube doing parallel-squats, then in the comments section you've got some f**k-knuckle (probably with chicken legs) saying that he's doing it wrong :lol: You don't need to go ATG to build big legs, deal with it. In fact, going ATG allows some people to cheat a bit as they basically bounce out of the bottom of it which not only takes stress off the muscle but also places it on the tendons as you're basically springing off those, which is never nice.

swole troll and monkeybiker like this

if you hit parallel youre good 

for strength and hypertrophy 

i train predominantly for strength and my gams have grown alright never having really gone ass to grass, parallel or just below 

mskyNvh.jpg
7RssjU0.jpg

only time i went hams to calves was my first few months of training where all the ATG dickheads that cant squat over 2 plates and have legs like a sparrow convinced me thats what you need to grow 

EDIT - thats not saying all that ATG are tiny legged of course lol, just echoing off what imnotapervert said 

its usually the smallest guys that call people out on form 

like any branch warren video basically

NO ONE commenting on his form is bigger than branch

I'mNotAPervert! and Quackerz like this

16 hours ago, swole troll said:

if you hit parallel youre good 

for strength and hypertrophy 

i train predominantly for strength and my gams have grown alright never having really gone ass to grass, parallel or just below 

mskyNvh.jpg
7RssjU0.jpg

only time i went hams to calves was my first few months of training where all the ATG dickheads that cant squat over 2 plates and have legs like a sparrow convinced me thats what you need to grow 

EDIT - thats not saying all that ATG are tiny legged of course lol, just echoing off what imnotapervert said 

its usually the smallest guys that call people out on form 

like any branch warren video basically

NO ONE commenting on his form is bigger than branch

Do you isolate calves mate? 

10 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

Do you isolate calves mate? 

Nope 

I believe like forearms calves are largely genetic based and although you can bring them up a wee bit with exercise you're not going to blow them up like you can other muscles 

I've not really seen anyone's calves or forearms change considerably through working them, unlike say someone's arms, legs, back ect 

Quackerz likes this

14 hours ago, swole troll said:

Nope 

I believe like forearms calves are largely genetic based and although you can bring them up a wee bit with exercise you're not going to blow them up like you can other muscles 

I've not really seen anyone's calves or forearms change considerably through working them, unlike say someone's arms, legs, back ect 

Was talking about this with my mate today actually. Everyone who says they can't get their calves to grow are usually always driving around and never do any running outdoors their cardio is basically based off cross trainer or treadmil for like a total of 5minutes of sprinting. Then there's the people who I go on treks with and like me they walk about alot and also run outdoors we all have bigger calves than most guys. I think the same goes for forearms to but this I think has more to do with a job that involves moving things rather than walking.

They are endurance muscles and therefore need to be trained as what the muscles were designed over millions of years to do which is holding things and walking for miles. When we used to hunt we preferred to out run in distance with our endurance to catch prey to, no other animal uses endurance to hunt like us. And NO sprinting for 10minutes is not enough to be called endurance and NO neither is 100 reps of calf raises.

8 hours ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

Was talking about this with my mate today actually. Everyone who says they can't get their calves to grow are usually always driving around and never do any running outdoors their cardio is basically based off cross trainer or treadmil for like a total of 5minutes of sprinting. Then there's the people who I go on treks with and like me they walk about alot and also run outdoors we all have bigger calves than most guys. I think the same goes for forearms to but this I think has more to do with a job that involves moving things rather than walking.

They are endurance muscles and therefore need to be trained as what the muscles were designed over millions of years to do which is holding things and walking for miles. When we used to hunt we preferred to out run in distance with our endurance to catch prey to, no other animal uses endurance to hunt like us. And NO sprinting for 10minutes is not enough to be called endurance and NO neither is 100 reps of calf raises.

I've often suspected that the reason my calves were nothing like as skinny as the rest of me was the cycling I did, particularly as a teenager.

6 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

I've often suspected that the reason my calves were nothing like as skinny as the rest of me was the cycling I did, particularly as a teenager.

I do believe that it is the reason. 

I've noticed alot of big name bodybuilders with the best calves all talking about enjoying walking in interviews. Lee priest for example loves walking outdoors he says.

On the squat depth front, there are differences in the relative extent to which different muscles are used the deeper you go, but interestingly quad activation peaks around 80-90° of knee flexion (a bit above parallel) according to the following paper. The main thing that changes going deeper is that glute involvement increases.

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/articles/squatting_kinematics_and_kinetics.pdf

I don't have the flexibility to safely squat ATG, as my lower back rounds ('butt wink'). I'm sure plenty of people who do squat ATG have the same issue but don't realise or care. 

8 hours ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

i agree the best way to get bigger calves is by getting really heavy bodyweight 

i just dont think they can grow that much or i personally am yet to see it

same applies to forearms, you say they too are endurance muscles and grow in response to long term use rather than a workout but then climbers would have beefy forearms and again im yet to see it 

i am basing this off nothing more than anecdote, i have no hard facts on the matter its just what ive seen and my experience

my calves are larger than most and i do absolutely nothing to stimulate them other than deadlift and squat 

my forearms are s**t and i never use straps for any lift nor ever have in my 6-7 years of training (bar strongman competition) 

Eddias likes this

I cannot squat ATG, and to be honest spent many a wasted year do 3/4 range of motion squat. just below parrell is enough, mess about with the rep range till you find a number that works. Calves is somewhat genetic but i think it does depend what you did when you were younger say between 15 to 25, i spent all day on my feet moving about with work plus playing rugby, my calves are big for my overall size.

2 hours ago, swole troll said:

i agree the best way to get bigger calves is by getting really heavy bodyweight 

i just dont think they can grow that much or i personally am yet to see it

same applies to forearms, you say they too are endurance muscles and grow in response to long term use rather than a workout but then climbers would have beefy forearms and again im yet to see it 

i am basing this off nothing more than anecdote, i have no hard facts on the matter its just what ive seen and my experience

my calves are larger than most and i do absolutely nothing to stimulate them other than deadlift and squat 

my forearms are s**t and i never use straps for any lift nor ever have in my 6-7 years of training (bar strongman competition) 

Thinking back whenever I see climbers on tv I always noticed their forearms. It's big for their overall size but not montrous because you just you don't get 200lb ripped to fvck bodybuilder grappling up a mountain side though so don't expect to see someone looking like popeye :P 

Not sure what you do day to day in life so can't comment on your forearms and calves even though your experience is complete opposite to my idea, I still believe it to be true :)