bflare

10 Week Bulking Progress...Help Please.

70 posts in this topic

Damn, looks like you gained everything but muscle, you should get blood work done with your GP, I wouldn't be surprised if your Testosterone levels are through the floor looking at that progress collage.

Caulifla and Robbie like this

11 minutes ago, DLTBB said:

Damn, looks like you gained everything but muscle, you should get blood work done with your GP, I wouldn't be surprised if your Testosterone levels are through the floor looking at that progress collage.

Sorry incorrect this time. Had blood work done and everything is fine. 

1 hour ago, Ultrasonic said:

This may have been the study discussed below?

http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/hiit-ing-it-after-arm-workouts-will.html?m=1

Note this particular study wasn't looking at any potential effect on lower body strength/side gains, which is the usual concern.

There is some wider evidence sumarised here for anyone curious:

https://www.cdof.com.br/ARTIGOS/DIVERSOS/WILSON 2012 Concurrent_Training___A_Meta_Analysis_Examining.35.pdf

Sure, how much you do obviously matters. We're likely not talking about big effects here. I personally now avoid HIIT as I feel it's more likely to adversely affect leg recovery but I wouldn't claim that's proven. Post-workout LISS cardio on the other hand may have a different negative effect due to different biochemical signalling to weight training. This is why it is quite commonly advised to keep cardio separate from weight training if you can.

There was a recent study trying to compare the effects of HIIT and LISS in terms of how it interferes with weight training but unfortunately it was for pre-workout cardio rather than post. This is the study FWIW:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5093324/

Tbh this isn't something I worry about if my main goal is losing bodyfat. If I were bulking and trying to increase strength/size then I'd most likely keep my cardio away from weight sessions in order to optimise things.

I think we can agree any loss of strength progression while dieting due to post workout cardio would be negligible, plus you'll gain any lost mass back straight away once you increase calories again. It's really not worth worrying about imo.

24 minutes ago, anabolik said:

Tbh this isn't something I worry about if my main goal is losing bodyfat. If I were bulking and trying to increase strength/size then I'd most likely keep my cardio away from weight sessions in order to optimise things.

I was talking from the point of view of the OP focusing on gaining rather than fat loss. I actually do zero cardio when trying to drop fat and just eat less, but I know most people would do some :).

I think the same issues still apply when focusing on fat loss to be honest, although potentially relating more to muscle retention than gain. I would also be even more inclined to favour LISS over HIIT when cutting.

Just my view.

anabolik likes this

1 minute ago, Ultrasonic said:

I was talking from the point of view of the OP focusing on gaining rather than fat loss. I actually do zero cardio when trying to drop fat and just eat less, but I know most people would do some :).

I think the same issues still apply when focusing on fat loss to be honest, although potentially relating more to muscle retention than gain. I would also be even more inclined to favour LISS over HIIT when cutting.

Just my view.

Different strokes n all that. I think it comes down to whatever fits into your lifestyle the easiest. If you can find the time to go back to the gym at another time in the day to do your cardio that would obviously be the best scenario, however sometimes that's just not possible, in which case slipping it in after your weights session would be better than not doing any at all.

Personally I do both LISS and HIIT depending on how I'm feeling that day. 

Ultrasonic likes this

Just now, anabolik said:

I think it comes down to whatever fits into your lifestyle the easiest. If you can find the time to go back to the gym at another time in the day to do your cardio that would obviously be the best scenario, however sometimes that's just not possible, in which case slipping it in after your weights session would be better than not doing any at all.

Absolutely. And of course some LISS pre-workout is good from a warm-up POV.

On 2017-4-29 at 9:12 AM, superdrol said:

Your correct, some people aren't so helpful, but generally most will try and explain how they would correct stuff

sleep is a huge factor in growth, sleeping for four hours you are hindering your growth majorly and probably not helping your calories being used up, sleep is when the body does a lot of repair work, i.e. Your muscles, why are you at the gym at 12.30 and up at 6.30? Go to the gym earlier and get some solid sleep, or you will be burning yourself out later as it gets heavier

one positive is your deadlift isn't bad, but don't push it at the expense of form (I'd pop a video up as I suspect - correctly or incorrectly - I hope I'm surprised - that your form would be all over the shop at that weight so early on if I'm honest)

mad for the scale not moving, give it another week at 2000 cals and if it hasn't moved (as ultrasonic says add everything no matter how small) add in another 100 calories until the scale does move very gently the right way, your aiming for a stone or so in a year ideally, so 2-3lb a month, to give you an idea at the rate you've been gaining (even allowing for the 10lb you put back on straight away = 20lb in 11 weeks is approx 95-100 lb in a year, you won't get to 16-17 stone in a year without getting very fat... hence concern over calories...

might be worth listing everything and making a note of macros on the packet and check cocked vs uncooked figures and make sure you have them the correct way...

maybe list everything you eat and let one of us do some working out and see if we get to the same figures...

Hello. Quick question. It's been another week and according to the scale my weight as dropped slightly at 2000 calories. I increased my protein to 200g dropped my carbs to 175g and my fat to 56g. I have changed my food too. I was eating a lot of oats, peanut butter and Milk. I've replaced that with low fat Greek yoghurt, eggs and makerel. If I now increase my calories by 100 should I keep my macros the same? Thanks. 

Changing macros may make you retain less water if youve dropped carbs... or you may have lost weight... change only one variable or don't change anything as a gauge or you won't know where your at like now :( 

bflare likes this

It's hard to tell if your putting on fat or just become normal fat range. It's just hard to tell because of the comparison of you being so slim. I can tell you that you have definitely put beef on though the good kind of beef that is. I'd say still bulk even if you need more calories. Youv still got a v shape. My motto is if Iv still got a v shape then all is good

bflare likes this

14 minutes ago, Jack of blades said:

It's hard to tell if your putting on fat or just become normal fat range. It's just hard to tell because of the comparison of you being so slim. I can tell you that you have definitely put beef on though the good kind of beef that is. I'd say still bulk even if you need more calories. Youv still got a v shape. My motto is if Iv still got a v shape then all is good

Hello thanks for your reply. Yeah I think the first pic has not helped the situation. 118lb which is 8st 6lb is very underweight for a 5'8" man. I was literally starving myself to get down to that weight. You could see my spine, my legs had no muscle at all. I was originally overweight at 195lb & I got carried away getting that off. So when I bumped back up to maintenance the weight the piled on very quickly. Once I got to about 130lb I felt healthy again & still looked lean.  Even now the majority of fat has just gone around the common problem areas of lower back & lower chest.

My weight has now stabilised from increasing my protein to 200g & decreasing my carbs to 175g. I am going to increase calories to 2100 & keep bulking until I have sufficient muscle to cut down again. I have also increased my intensity at the gym & try to push out every last rep.

As I see it, it's all a learning curve & yeah we make mistakes but as long as you learn by them & don't give up then so what if it takes a little longer than other people. Ive cut down from 195 to 118 & i can do it again.

Ummm, it says you've cut from 195lbs to 118lbs?!?

That can't be right, Annie! ?

On 14/05/2017 at 1:38 AM, JayNo27 said:

Ummm, it says you've cut from 195lbs to 118lbs?!?

That can't be right, Annie! ?

It's correct. I was originally 195lb 3 years ago & I cut down to 118lb over the course of 3 years.

On 4/20/2017 at 10:11 AM, bflare said:

Hello,

I started out a few years ago at 195lb, very unfit & unhealthy. I did a year long cut at which I ended up at a measly 118lb!
From February this year I started lifting seriously at a gym following the fierce 5 routine. I am almost in my 11th week & I am seeing slow strength gains & I have put back on a lot of fat. I am currently at 148lb @ 5’8”.

Can you guys see much progress in muscle mass on the attached pics?

Myself I cannot see much difference apart from fat gains. I know 11 weeks is nothing but should I be seeing more progress? I am in this now for life so I am not bothered how long it takes as long as I am making progress.

38 male

5'8"

I am eating around 2200 calories a day. Everything is logged & weighed.

Protein - 138g
Carbs - 248g
Fat - 73g

I prep all my main meals & eat nearly the exact same thing every day. Mainly Chicken, veggies, oats, Peanut Butter.

Thanks.

Before_After_Front.png

You need a hormone panel. Thyroid and testosterone to start.  

bflare likes this

What did your test levels say? I see you say up there you got it done. Have you checked your thyriod? 

bflare likes this

6 hours ago, Caulifla said:

What did your test levels say? I see you say up there you got it done. Have you checked your thyriod? 

I was told that my test levels are normal. I've not had my thyroid checked. What would be the symptoms? 

6 hours ago, ElChapo said:

You need a hormone panel. Thyroid and testosterone to start.  

Had test checked already. 

12 minutes ago, bflare said:

I was told that my test levels are normal. I've not had my thyroid checked. What would be the symptoms? 

Fatigue

weight gain

weak muscles

struggle to build/maintain muscle to name a few.

bflare likes this

36 minutes ago, RRSUK said:

Fatigue

weight gain

weak muscles

struggle to build/maintain muscle to name a few.

Could be worth a check. Although I'm steadily gaining around 0.6lb to 1lb per week on around 2500 calories now and have been for about 8 week. My muscles do feel weak on a morning but I put this down to DOMs and I've noticed that my fingers get numb occasionally. 

6 hours ago, bflare said:

I see! I just hope your doc was right sometimes they think 200 test levels are normal but thats pretty dog s**t. On to the thyriod  

brittle nails, constipation, dry skin, high cholesterol, irritability, sensitivity to cold, sexual dysfunction, slow heart rate, sluggishness, weight gain, breathing difficulties, and hair loss.