bflare

10 Week Bulking Progress...Help Please.

56 posts in this topic

Hello,

I started out a few years ago at 195lb, very unfit & unhealthy. I did a year long cut at which I ended up at a measly 118lb!
From February this year I started lifting seriously at a gym following the fierce 5 routine. I am almost in my 11th week & I am seeing slow strength gains & I have put back on a lot of fat. I am currently at 148lb @ 5’8”.

Can you guys see much progress in muscle mass on the attached pics?

Myself I cannot see much difference apart from fat gains. I know 11 weeks is nothing but should I be seeing more progress? I am in this now for life so I am not bothered how long it takes as long as I am making progress.

38 male

5'8"

I am eating around 2200 calories a day. Everything is logged & weighed.

Protein - 138g
Carbs - 248g
Fat - 73g

I prep all my main meals & eat nearly the exact same thing every day. Mainly Chicken, veggies, oats, Peanut Butter.

Thanks.

Before_After_Front.png

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, bflare said:

Hello,

I started out a few years ago at 195lb, very unfit & unhealthy. I did a year long cut at which I ended up at a measly 118lb!
From February this year I started lifting seriously at a gym following the fierce 5 routine. I am almost in my 11th week & I am seeing slow strength gains & I have put back on a lot of fat. I am currently at 148lb @ 5’8”.

Can you guys see much progress in muscle mass on the attached pics?

Myself I cannot see much difference apart from fat gains. I know 11 weeks is nothing but should I be seeing more progress? I am in this now for life so I am not bothered how long it takes as long as I am making progress.

38 male

5'8"

I am eating around 2200 calories a day. Everything is logged & weighed.

Protein - 138g
Carbs - 248g
Fat - 73g

I prep all my main meals & eat nearly the exact same thing every day. Mainly Chicken, veggies, oats, Peanut Butter.

Thanks.

Before_After_Front.png

You are eating too much and getting fat, cut back to previous and start again

I'mNotAPervert! likes this

Yeah, just to echo the above, you shouldn't have put on a great deal of fat in the space of a few months, whereas you look like you're up a few waist sizes!

You're definely improving but nip that fat in the bud now or you will have to cut in months to come and that will mean  no muscle gain. You have lost your abs, that's a warning sign

bflare likes this

11 weeks natural aka no steroids should mean roughly 11lb at most, you've added 30lb, that's nearly 2 stone... even with beginners gains that's twice as quick as you wanted

what routine are you following??

and drop that fat back to 120lb and start bulking again at 2000 calories slightly more gently ;)

1 hour ago, superdrol said:

11 weeks natural aka no steroids should mean roughly 11lb at most, you've added 30lb, that's nearly 2 stone... even with beginners gains that's twice as quick as you wanted

what routine are you following??

and drop that fat back to 120lb and start bulking again at 2000 calories slightly more gently ;)

Hello and thanks for your reply. I am following the Fierce 5 routine which is basically a 3 day full body split. I have dropped my calories to 2000. I only increased them because a few people on another well known forum said I wasn't eating enough! I would rather carry on bulking for a little while longer as my lifts are still pretty low. Also at 118lb I felt terrible. Non existent sex drive, tired all the time and basically feeling like s**t. I may of been a bit misleading in my original post. I was 118lb before Christmas and when I decided to come off the cut I added almost 10lb over night. So I've actually added a steady 1lb per week over the 11 weeks of bulking. 

A few more pics which may help? First one was pre bulk and the last 2 are current. 

Thanks. 

20161104_221449.jpg

20170427_080724_resized.jpg

20170426_193108_resized.jpg

I think you look healthier now tbh.

Jesus bulking at 2200 calories. I can cut on that and lose about 1.5lb a week lol. Im starving on sub 3k calories.

bflare likes this

6 hours ago, Toranator said:

I think you look healthier now tbh.

Jesus bulking at 2200 calories. I can cut on that and lose about 1.5lb a week lol. Im starving on sub 3k calories.

Thanks. I feel a lot healthier now too. 118lb & consuming sometimes as little as 1200 calories per day is not good & I would advise anyone not to do this.

On 27/04/2017 at 7:35 AM, bflare said:

Hello and thanks for your reply. I am following the Fierce 5 routine which is basically a 3 day full body split. I have dropped my calories to 2000. I only increased them because a few people on another well known forum said I wasn't eating enough! I would rather carry on bulking for a little while longer as my lifts are still pretty low. Also at 118lb I felt terrible. Non existent sex drive, tired all the time and basically feeling like s**t. I may of been a bit misleading in my original post. I was 118lb before Christmas and when I decided to come off the cut I added almost 10lb over night. So I've actually added a steady 1lb per week over the 11 weeks of bulking. 

A few more pics which may help? First one was pre bulk and the last 2 are current. 

Thanks. 

20161104_221449.jpg

That back hair is the strangest thing I've ever seen man it looks like a moustache!

13 minutes ago, Sphinkter said:

That back hair is the strangest thing I've ever seen man it looks like a moustache!

Yes your not the first to say that haha. It's not the easiest thing to shave by yourself! 

Sphinkter likes this

2 minutes ago, TommyP87 said:

Get a little battery shaver, that wouldn't be too hard to shave on your own, needs to be done mate 

Hahahahaha I'm not feeling much love for my back tash :) 

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:35 AM, bflare said:

Thanks. 

20161104_221449.jpg

You are just getting fat mate

On 27/04/2017 at 7:35 AM, bflare said:

I would rather carry on bulking for a little while longer as my lifts are still pretty low. Also at 118lb I felt terrible. Non existent sex drive, tired all the time and basically feeling like s**t.

What this tells you is that when you come to cut again you probably don't want to go as far. Well, assuming your diet was sensible and you weren't say on crazy low fats. Also don't think of cutting needing to be a long term thing. You could just focus on fat loss for a month and then switch back to gaining again.

bflare likes this

21 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

What this tells you is that when you come to cut again you probably don't want to go as far. Well, assuming your diet was sensible and you weren't say on crazy low fats. Also don't think of cutting needing to be a long term thing. You could just focus on fat loss for a month and then switch back to gaining again.

Thankd for your reply. My fats were pretty low plus I wasn't regularly going to the gym and I know exactly what calories to cut on and what to eat so I could cut for another month. I just don't want to end up dropping weight on my compound exercises as they are already pretty low although I could take the time to concentrate on my form. 

20 minutes ago, bflare said:

I know exactly what calories to cut on

You may not... Don't assume you should go back to what you finished up cutting on last time.

Are you certain you are counting absolutely everything you eat and drink, every day of the week, to reach your current 2200 kcal figure? That's a very unusually low figure to be gaining much weight on.

bflare and superdrol like this

Have a read of this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/transition-phase-between-dieting-gaining.html/

as the article states, not transitioning properly from a hard diet into a gain phase can cause a significant amount of fat gain. This could have been the case, at least to some extent, for you. 

I suppose a logical question would be how are you progressing in the gym? Are your lifts going up? Are you getting stronger? Are you pushing yourself hard enough?

if the answer is no, that could also be the reason for the fat gain. Obviously in order for you to grow and have excess calories diverted primarily towards muscle gain, the stimulus has to be there.

Hope that helps a bit.

bflare likes this

1 hour ago, NTSC said:

Have a read of this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/transition-phase-between-dieting-gaining.html/

as the article states, not transitioning properly from a hard diet into a gain phase can cause a significant amount of fat gain. This could have been the case, at least to some extent, for you. 

I suppose a logical question would be how are you progressing in the gym? Are your lifts going up? Are you getting stronger? Are you pushing yourself hard enough?

if the answer is no, that could also be the reason for the fat gain. Obviously in order for you to grow and have excess calories diverted primarily towards muscle gain, the stimulus has to be there.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for your reply I will read and digest. In answer to your questions yes my lifts are going up slowly but steadily. 

Squat. 30kg to 60kg

Dead. 50kg to 110kg

Bench. 45kg to 60kg

Row. 40kg to 60kg

I do feel stronger. My legs are a lot bigger to the stage where I cannot get into my old jeans and they are not fat they are still lean. When I came of the cut I was really skinny. It hurt to lay in the bath as my glutes were non existent. I am wondering now if not enough sleep is a factor. Sometimes I'm home from the gym at around 12:30am and I am up for work at 6:30am. So sometimes I only probably get 4 hours of continuous sleep. I am stuck at what to do now and unhelpful comments such as "your getting fat mate" do not help. Some people say cut back down and other keep trying to bulk but reduce calories which I have and this week I'm not moving on the scale. 

Thanks again. 

4 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

You may not... Don't assume you should go back to what you finished up cutting on last time.

Are you certain you are counting absolutely everything you eat and drink, every day of the week, to reach your current 2200 kcal figure? That's a very unusually low figure to be gaining much weight on.

Thanks for your reply. Everything was counted except about 4 coffee's and I did have a lot of sweetener plus bbq sauce on my main meals and cocoa powder in my oats. I'm thinking now that there could be 300 Cals there possibly? 

20 hours ago, Sphinkter said:

Loool I thought exactly the same. Looks like there's no hair anywhere else in his back, fu**ing weird. It looks groomed/brushes lol 

the tattoos and pants give @FelonE a run for his money too :P

FelonE likes this

5 hours ago, bflare said:

Thanks for your reply. Everything was counted except about 4 coffee's and I did have a lot of sweetener plus bbq sauce on my main meals and cocoa powder in my oats. I'm thinking now that there could be 300 Cals there possibly? 

That sounds like rather less that 300 kcal to be honest. Do you have milk in your coffee? That would be the biggest source of calories in what you've listed if you do. Out of curiosity you could weigh the BBQ sauce jar before after you've used it so you could work out the calories from that but unless you're going mad it won't be much.

6 hours ago, bflare said:

Thanks for your reply I will read and digest. In answer to your questions yes my lifts are going up slowly but steadily. 

Squat. 30kg to 60kg

Dead. 50kg to 110kg

Bench. 45kg to 60kg

Row. 40kg to 60kg

I do feel stronger. My legs are a lot bigger to the stage where I cannot get into my old jeans and they are not fat they are still lean. When I came of the cut I was really skinny. It hurt to lay in the bath as my glutes were non existent. I am wondering now if not enough sleep is a factor. Sometimes I'm home from the gym at around 12:30am and I am up for work at 6:30am. So sometimes I only probably get 4 hours of continuous sleep. I am stuck at what to do now and unhelpful comments such as "your getting fat mate" do not help. Some people say cut back down and other keep trying to bulk but reduce calories which I have and this week I'm not moving on the scale. 

Thanks again. 

Your correct, some people aren't so helpful, but generally most will try and explain how they would correct stuff

sleep is a huge factor in growth, sleeping for four hours you are hindering your growth majorly and probably not helping your calories being used up, sleep is when the body does a lot of repair work, i.e. Your muscles, why are you at the gym at 12.30 and up at 6.30? Go to the gym earlier and get some solid sleep, or you will be burning yourself out later as it gets heavier

one positive is your deadlift isn't bad, but don't push it at the expense of form (I'd pop a video up as I suspect - correctly or incorrectly - I hope I'm surprised - that your form would be all over the shop at that weight so early on if I'm honest)

mad for the scale not moving, give it another week at 2000 cals and if it hasn't moved (as ultrasonic says add everything no matter how small) add in another 100 calories until the scale does move very gently the right way, your aiming for a stone or so in a year ideally, so 2-3lb a month, to give you an idea at the rate you've been gaining (even allowing for the 10lb you put back on straight away = 20lb in 11 weeks is approx 95-100 lb in a year, you won't get to 16-17 stone in a year without getting very fat... hence concern over calories...

might be worth listing everything and making a note of macros on the packet and check cocked vs uncooked figures and make sure you have them the correct way...

maybe list everything you eat and let one of us do some working out and see if we get to the same figures...

On 28/04/2017 at 9:05 AM, bflare said:

Yes your not the first to say that haha. It's not the easiest thing to shave by yourself! 

Sorry mate it's just cause you're not even a hairy guy n you've just got this concentrated sense patch of hair on your back, I've never seen anything like it lol.  I'd hate to see what'd happen if you started gear, you'd probably need to braid it or something!

You're lifts have progressed in the 12 weeks so that's good.  Just always make sure you're not adding weight to the bar at the espense of form.  I spent my first couple of years lifting (trying to) largely broken up with time out due to injuries from being a fanny and lifting with s**t form. Mainly with benching, twisting my back and lifting my arse off the bench, and bouncing the weight off my chest, to get that last rep in so I could increase the weight next session.  Putting my back out and separating my shoulder (not dislocating btw) in the name of a mighty 70kg bench lol.

Also don't scale watch don't be expecting to see 1-2lbs increases on a weekly basis without significant fat gain. Remember that if you think a 1/4-1/2lbs gain a week is a FA, in a year that's a between 1 and 2 stone of hopefully "leans" gains.

These are just some of the things I've learned from getting fat and injured.

If your good at lying to yourself and being in denial about where weight is going then keeping tabs on your waistline is a good indicator of muscle/fat weight gain.  If your waistline is rising significantly then reign in the calories and try and keep it reasonably tight.

bflare likes this

27 minutes ago, superdrol said:

Your correct, some people aren't so helpful, but generally most will try and explain how they would correct stuff

sleep is a huge factor in growth, sleeping for four hours you are hindering your growth majorly and probably not helping your calories being used up, sleep is when the body does a lot of repair work, i.e. Your muscles, why are you at the gym at 12.30 and up at 6.30? Go to the gym earlier and get some solid sleep, or you will be burning yourself out later as it gets heavier

one positive is your deadlift isn't bad, but don't push it at the expense of form (I'd pop a video up as I suspect - correctly or incorrectly - I hope I'm surprised - that your form would be all over the shop at that weight so early on if I'm honest)

mad for the scale not moving, give it another week at 2000 cals and if it hasn't moved (as ultrasonic says add everything no matter how small) add in another 100 calories until the scale does move very gently the right way, your aiming for a stone or so in a year ideally, so 2-3lb a month, to give you an idea at the rate you've been gaining (even allowing for the 10lb you put back on straight away = 20lb in 11 weeks is approx 95-100 lb in a year, you won't get to 16-17 stone in a year without getting very fat... hence concern over calories...

might be worth listing everything and making a note of macros on the packet and check cocked vs uncooked figures and make sure you have them the correct way...

maybe list everything you eat and let one of us do some working out and see if we get to the same figures...

Hello and thanks for your reply it's appreciated. I go to the gym at that time cause it's impossible to get on the squat racks if not. Although I am considering going before work like at 6am. 

For lunch I do eat a pre-made meal from the supermarket which I suppose could be incorrect. Also I've now upped my protein and reduced my calories so I'm not eating as much oats and milk which I'm guessing I may of been adding a little too much milk and also milk in my coffee's. I will list a typical days meals for one of you guys to look at that would be great. 

Deadlift form is here if you could take a look. I do feel a deload coming on 

I've just weighed myself and I'm down a pound from last week :/

I'm not even sure if I should be still trying to bulk or should I cut again? I'd rather bulk to be honest and try and get some mass on. 

Thanks again. 

16 minutes ago, Sphinkter said:

Sorry mate it's just cause you're not even a hairy guy n you've just got this concentrated sense patch of hair on your back, I've never seen anything like it lol.  I'd hate to see what'd happen if you started gear, you'd probably need to braid it or something!

You're lifts have progressed in the 12 weeks so that's good.  Just always make sure you're not adding weight to the bar at the espense of form.  I spent my first couple of years lifting (trying to) largely broken up with time out due to injuries from being a fanny and lifting with s**t form. Mainly with benching, twisting my back and lifting my arse off the bench, and bouncing the weight off my chest, to get that last rep in so I could increase the weight next session.  Putting my back out and separating my shoulder (not dislocating btw) in the name of a mighty 70kg bench lol.

Also don't scale watch don't be expecting to see 1-2lbs increases on a weekly basis without significant fat gain. Remember that if you think a 1/4-1/2lbs gain a week is a FA, in a year that's a between 1 and 2 stone of hopefully "leans" gains.

These are just some of the things I've learned from getting fat and injured.

If your good at lying to yourself and being in denial about where weight is going then keeping tabs on your waistline is a good indicator of muscle/fat weight gain.  If your waistline is rising significantly then reign in the calories and try and keep it reasonably tight.

Hello and thanks for your reply. My back tash is getting shaved off today by my girlfriend who hates it hahaha. 

Yeah at first I started adding weight too much and basically had to start all over again so I wasted a few weeks. My squat form as taking some perfecting plus my ohp. With little muscle gain I'm thinking is this strength program I'm running suitable? Should I switch to one for my hypertrophy?

Thanks.