Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuscleFood

Does Cardio Ruin Your Gains?

22 posts in this topic

One of the BIGGEST misconceptions in the fitness industry is "Cardio ruins gains" ... How true is this?
Jamie Lloyd investigates for us.....

Cardio burns calories. Some people struggle to get enough calories. Intense cardio too often might also eat into recovery resources, so there's that to consider.

Pretty much the long and short of it.

CG88 likes this

1 hour ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

Unless you don't know how to place it in your goals.

half natty? is that because your juiced up fella is the top?

1 minute ago, Heavyassweights said:

half natty? is that because your juiced up fella is the top?

Half Natty is a state of being a natural lifter who has lifted for 5-10+ years with average genetics, lifts incredibly smart and consistent, and therefore exhibits good results... Thus he/she gets confused for and accused of being someone who takes steroids as you did in one of your posts directed to me :D

Courtsey :- Matt Ogus

53 minutes ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

Half Natty is a state of being a natural lifter who has lifted for 5-10+ years with average genetics, lifts incredibly smart and consistent, and therefore exhibits good results... Thus he/she gets confused for and accused of being someone who takes steroids as you did in one of your posts directed to me :D

half natty - taken AAS in the recent past but is currently on PCT or having time off before their next cycle thus he isn't technically on anything but yet reaps the rewards when is.

courtesy : heavy

MRSTRONG likes this

1 minute ago, Heavyassweights said:

half natty - taken AAS in the recent past but is currently on PCT or having time off before their next cycle thus he isn't technically on anything but yet reaps the rewards when is.

courtesy : heavy

Lion doesnt loose the sleep over an opinion of a sheep

Courtsey :- anonymous

57 minutes ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

Lion doesnt loose the sleep over an opinion of a sheep

Courtsey :- anonymous

has no relevance to whats been said

will you let @Plate visit and carry out a blood test to prove your status?

1 hour ago, Heavyassweights said:

has no relevance to whats been said

will you let @Plate visit and carry out a blood test to prove your status?

Lol..Anytime. 

9 hours ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

Matt supposedly invented the term like 4 years ago, but his definition is stupid and the lifting community adopted the term and gave it a lot more meaning - that meaning being, has used AAS in the past but no longer uses, or uses illicit fat burners to get/stay lean. So if you've got "Half natty" in your status, everyone's going to assume you've used AAS in the past, just a heads up if that bothers you ;)

Heavyassweights likes this

10 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Matt supposedly invented the term like 4 years ago, but his definition is stupid and the lifting community adopted the term and gave it a lot more meaning - that meaning being, has used AAS in the past but no longer uses, or uses illicit fat burners to get/stay lean. So if you've got "Half natty" in your status, everyone's going to assume you've used AAS in the past, just a heads up if that bothers you ;)

I am totally fine if other assumes it brother. I have been living with this from quite a time ;)

I found the wording cool so copied it. Nothing more :)

I'mNotAPervert! likes this

2 minutes ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

I am totally fine if other assumes it brother. I have been living with this from quite a time ;)

I found the wording cool so copied it. Nothing more :)

Fair enough :D I get accused a fair bit also and even though I am using them, it's still a compliment lets me know I'm doing it right :lol:

Jatin Bhatia and Sub97 like this

1 minute ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Fair enough :D I get accused a fair bit also and even though I am using them, it's still a compliment lets me know I'm doing it right :lol:

You look far far  better than me. If a tiny looking guy can be accused , you definitely should be then :D

Funny thing in my case is in fact my natural test level is around 300ng/dl. Just above the lower range :D . Not even have a normal test level and then getting accused of using synthetic one gives me a good laugh.

1 minute ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

You look far far  better than me. If a tiny looking guy can be accused , you definitely should be then :D

Funny thing in my case is in fact my natural test level is around 300ng/dl. Just above the lower range :D . Not even have a normal test level and then getting accused of using synthetic one gives me a good laugh.

Cheers pal :) You ain't tiny mate :lol:

Yeah man, the whole "if you have low natural testosterone levels then you can't gain" thing is total BS IMO. I was technically under range for the first 2 years I trained before I started juicing, still gained as well as anyone else in that time.

Jatin Bhatia likes this

17 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Cheers pal :) You ain't tiny mate :lol:

Yeah man, the whole "if you have low natural testosterone levels then you can't gain" thing is total BS IMO. I was technically under range for the first 2 years I trained before I started juicing, still gained as well as anyone else in that time.

That was my first post on UKM, had low levels of test (Posted results here) and myself was pretty convinced to use AAS. However,  Some wise words by @Mingsterconvinced me to remain natty if competing is not my goal and in addition he said if you will use them your natural levels will bound to bounce back a bit lower than what they were before cycle. He further added  that you can still improve body composition by using a good diet giving his own example. That post literally had a lot of impact on my thinking and it's been three years i guess and have improved remarkably than before.

Though, the temptation of using them is never ending :D

7 minutes ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

Though, the temptation of using them is never ending

We wouldn't be human if we weren't tempted from time to time. I haven't used for a good few years now but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. The point is that you can still make good gains with hard work and consistency with diet and training, although the weak and lazy will tell you otherwise.

7 hours ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

That was my first post on UKM, had low levels of test (Posted results here) and myself was pretty convinced to use AAS. However,  Some wise words by @Mingsterconvinced me to remain natty if competing is not my goal and in addition he said if you will use them your natural levels will bound to bounce back a bit lower than what they were before cycle. He further added  that you can still improve body composition by using a good diet giving his own example. That post literally had a lot of impact on my thinking and it's been three years i guess and have improved remarkably than before.

Though, the temptation of using them is never ending :D

Yeah, literally only reason I started using them is cause I knew my goal physique was beyond what was possibly naturally. Some people might find it silly that it's a goal I'm willing to risk my health for, but I've always been that way. I've taken part in pretty dangerous sports throughout my life, and risked my physical well-being to progress to the next level in all of them - nobody would bat an eyelid. I risk health problems to take this "project" to another level, some people would label me as reckless and obsessed, but to me it's no different to wanting to get good at racing, or skiing, or motorbiking or any other dangerous past-time. Screw a mundane life being scared to take risks, not the life for me and never has been. I've always been about pushing the boundaries and seeing what I can accomplish, even if that comes with risks. Not ruling out competition in the future, but for now it's not on the cards.

Also, the "only take them if you compete" ideal is totally outdated. Social media has changed all that. You can make a lot of money from the fitness and bodybuilding industry without ever setting foot on-stage. Lots of money to be made from YouTube alone, and social media popularity can lead to sponsorships or even provides to opportunity to start one's own supplement and clothing companies. There's not much money in competing and even the Mr Olympias have to work full-time, whereas for the social media guys, it's their job. Posting on Instagram, making videos, and optionally starting their own brands. Also perfectly legal to sell online coaching without being qualified, which people will buy because they want to look like you (those types are unaware of the drug use, of course, but there are a lot of naive people out there).

Jatin Bhatia likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 4:21 AM, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Yeah, literally only reason I started using them is cause I knew my goal physique was beyond what was possibly naturally. Some people might find it silly that it's a goal I'm willing to risk my health for, but I've always been that way. I've taken part in pretty dangerous sports throughout my life, and risked my physical well-being to progress to the next level in all of them - nobody would bat an eyelid. I risk health problems to take this "project" to another level, some people would label me as reckless and obsessed, but to me it's no different to wanting to get good at racing, or skiing, or motorbiking or any other dangerous past-time. Screw a mundane life being scared to take risks, not the life for me and never has been. I've always been about pushing the boundaries and seeing what I can accomplish, even if that comes with risks. Not ruling out competition in the future, but for now it's not on the cards.

Same here, I don't think people need to justify their livestyles, as long as you're not negatively affecting other people. There are risks in most things. If you want to avoid risk you might as well stay at home and hide under the covers. Its smart to analysis theses risks in the short term and long term as best you can, do your research, talk to others etc, and see is it worth the potential reward or personal satisfaction. Maybe getting big and ripped is not too important for someone so gear is unnecessary. I was a big bike fan in my younger days, far less risky than gear as with gear the risks don't just appear out of the blue, they build with excessive use. With a bike, you could be dead in a second, and very likely due to someone else's mistake 

I ditched my life in the UK, quit a high paying job at 40 and moved to Asia with no plan and no place to stay. F#ck the mundane life, I don't want to be on my death bed at 80 thinking I never did a think or took a chance in life.

As to the reasons for taking gear, its personal, going "on" doesn't mean you stay on. I was about 8 years between my first and 2nd cycle. Too much sh#t on forums by guys with an attitude that others need to pass a bro test before they can join the steroid club.  

Finally the risk in gear in my view for low to moderate cycles is quite low. When I compare myself to my age groups most of which eat crap, can't climb a stairs without getting out of breath, can't get up of a chair without moaning, drink several beers every day of the week and a RPR rate of twice their age, I don't feel at all in ill health. 

EDIT: as to the original question of does cardio ruin gains. With a reasonable level, definitely not, it helps actually. Too much though and fatigue sets in so it affects the effort you can put into your weights day

Nothing worse than CV failing before muscular failure. You need to work out to strain your muscles, not your lung capacity and whatever else it contributes to.

You can look fit, muscular and healthy in the mirror but actually be unfit to perform certain cardio, be it moderate and not just high intensity.

I read years ago as well, a better CV system will lead to more/better oxygen flow to your muscles meaning a better work out for your muscles. 

Regarding loosing calories through cardio. Eat something after it...? I suppose not only will you gain the calories you lost but you will also be contributing to building the broken fibres in your whole upper and lower legs, abs and I suppose the most of your core mid section. 

MRSTRONG likes this

5 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

Same here, I don't think people need to justify their livestyles, as long as you're not negatively affecting other people. There are risks in most things. If you want to avoid risk you might as well stay at home and hide under the covers. Its smart to analysis theses risks in the short term and long term as best you can, do your research, talk to others etc, and see is it worth the potential reward or personal satisfaction. Maybe getting big and ripped is not too important for someone so gear is unnecessary. I was a big bike fan in my younger days, far less risky than gear as with gear the risks don't just appear out of the blue, they build with excessive use. With a bike, you could be dead in a second, and very likely due to someone else's mistake 

I ditched my life in the UK, quit a high paying job at 40 and moved to Asia with no plan and no place to stay. F#ck the mundane life, I don't want to be on my death bed at 80 thinking I never did a think or took a chance in life.

As to the reasons for taking gear, its personal, going "on" doesn't mean you stay on. I was about 8 years between my first and 2nd cycle. Too much sh#t on forums by guys with an attitude that others need to pass a bro test before they can join the steroid club.  

Finally the risk in gear in my view for low to moderate cycles is quite low. When I compare myself to my age groups most of which eat crap, can't climb a stairs without getting out of breath, can't get up of a chair without moaning, drink several beers every day of the week and a RPR rate of twice their age, I don't feel at all in ill health. 

EDIT: as to the original question of does cardio ruin gains. With a reasonable level, definitely not, it helps actually. Too much though and fatigue sets in so it affects the effort you can put into your weights day

Yep. I risk being involved in a car crash and dying every time I get behind the wheel, or even walking out in the streets - but obviously, although there are risks, I accept those risks and do everything I can to keep myself safe. Same with the steroid use.