smallboy

difficult to progress ohp weight. should i replace it with...

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, smallboy said:

need to leave for work. only can do max 3 exercises duration. my push day is bench, ohp and cgbp. then bath and leave for work. see how if have time to do 4 exercises without superset.

Just get up slightly earlier... I train before work too.

It's total sets that really dictates duration of course. I did 10 sets on an upper push workout on Monday but only two exercises.

Switching because it's getting a bit tough seems like a cop-out to me

Buy yourself some microplates, I use 0.5 and .25kg plates for pressing as I'm at a point where a 1kg a side increase is too much. Keep form tight and you'll progress!

Look at your technique....is your whole body tight, are you keeping your chest up and elbows under the bar....although the press is a shoulder exercise it really places a lot of demand on the surrounding musculature of the upper back and core too..... it is a slow process, so maybe go with @Ares suggestion and invest in micro plates to help you make progression...

Ultrasonic likes this

20 hours ago, smallboy said:

57.5kg OHP. body weight 71kg.

It's good IMO. What do you want lift? whole earth on your shoulders? :D

3 hours ago, Jatin Bhatia said:

It's good IMO. What do you want lift? whole earth on your shoulders? :D

just progress ohp weight but very hard to progress and my shoulder still not very big.

14 minutes ago, smallboy said:

just progress ohp weight but very hard to progress and my shoulder still not very big.

How many sets/reps are you doing? And bear in mind my comment above about an OHP working the front delt more than the side.

1 hour ago, smallboy said:

Pic?

OHP is surely one of the hardest movements to make continual weight incremental gains in though due to the size of the muscle it targets comparative to the weight being moved.

And as you're not far off pressing your own body weight over head I would suggest you are going to find it very difficult to make noticeable further gains unless it's over a long period of time.

As has been mentioned, getting more overall volume in at lower sets and reps more often is probably a smart idea for a while.