CarpeDiem76

Opinion on my Macros please ?

27 posts in this topic

I am 41, 5ft 9 , 196 lbs or 14st dead, pretty lean but have that last bit of low ab fat to shift, train 6 days a week, 20 mins cardio before every  session and approx 2 hr lifting, my macros are ..

Protein = 208

Carbs   = 187

Fat       =  43

Calories = 2500

This does not include a meal at tea time which is either spag bol, tuna pasta or similair so hitting over 3000 cals, 200 carbs, 50-60 fats at a guess. does this all look good for a leanish bulk ?

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem76 said:

I am 41, 5ft 9 , 196 lbs or 14st dead, pretty lean but have that last bit of low ab fat to shift, train 6 days a week, 20 mins cardio before every  session and approx 2 hr lifting, my macros are ..

Protein = 208

Carbs   = 187

Fat       =  43

Calories = 2500

This does not include a meal at tea time which is either spag bol, tuna pasta or similair so hitting over 3000 cals, 200 carbs, 50-60 fats at a guess. does this all look good for a leanish bulk ?

Your macros don't add up to 2500 cals more like 2000 before your meal you're not counting. 

Terms of macros I'd say fat is quite low but if you can gain on 2500 cals I'm jealous I'm currently cutting on 2500.

You're the only person who can judge if the calorie total is sensible. Are you gaining weight? Are you gaining much fat? This is what tells you.

It's obviously going to be harder to be consistent with uncounted evening meals but this can still work. It still comes down to eating more if you're not gaining weight, and less if you're gaining too much fat.

To little caleries for a leanish bulk i would say. But everyone's different. For a lean bulk I'd have a lot of protein and not really concentrate on carbs if i eat them then i eat them if i don't then i don't either way I'd be full from the amount of protein I'd be getting

CarpeDiem76 likes this

3 minutes ago, Jack of blades said:

To little caleries for a leanish bulk i would say. But everyone's different. For a lean bulk I'd have a lot of protein and not really concentrate on carbs if i eat them then i eat them if i don't then i don't either way I'd be full from the amount of protein I'd be getting

Carbs are functional, not something to fear. Also, the aim of a lean bulking diet is not satiety.

Charlee Scene and OPTIGURA UK like this

22 hours ago, Ross1991 said:

Your macros don't add up to 2500 cals more like 2000 before your meal you're not counting. 

Terms of macros I'd say fat is quite low but if you can gain on 2500 cals I'm jealous I'm currently cutting on 2500.

How can you know that without knowing what food Im eating ? I added all the cals up correctly as far as Im aware

2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem76 said:

How can you know that without knowing what food Im eating ? I added all the cals up correctly as far as Im aware

Erm because there's 4 cals in 1 gram of protein or carbs and 9 cals in 1 gram of fat and you have numbers for grams of each, hence your calories or grams are off, not rocket science bud ;)

Ross1991 and CarpeDiem76 like this

20 hours ago, Jack of blades said:

Just gonna up the cals gradually as I struggle with bulking in the way that I hate feeling fat or bloated, really want to try this time though, wouldnt you say 1g of protein per 1 lb weight is enouygh ?

1 minute ago, superdrol said:

Erm because there's 4 cals in 1 gram of protein or carbs and 9 cals in 1 gram of fat and you have numbers for grams of each, hence your calories or grams are off, not rocket science bud ;)

Thanks dude, never knew that ;-)

8 minutes ago, superdrol said:

208 x 4 = 832

187 x 4 = 748

43 x 9 = 387

Around 1967 and then he has another meal 2500 is doable :)

CarpeDiem76 likes this

And there was me thinking I may be eating too much lol will be interesting to see what the scales say this weekend then and up the cals from there on.

3 minutes ago, superdrol said:

(208 + 187 = 395g x4 = 1580)+(43 x 9 = 387)

= 1967 calories

To me with all your training 6 times a week lifting for 2 hours i seriously think you are not eating enough calories and your body is desperately holding on to its stubborn fat store (over training) maybe try increasing calories by 200 or so to see if that makes a difference ? 

Your TDEE is about 2700 rough figure online maybe more with heavy exercise so to bulk 200-300 more.

Macros looks ok 1gram protein and carbs to 1lb weight but its the calories that need concentration to bulk / cut.

CarpeDiem76 likes this

Been feeling really tired at work too in the afternoon as I train at 3.30 am every morn, maybe not enough carbs or like you say over training ?

23 hours ago, Ross1991 said:

I'm jealous of you :lol: I mean, I can cut really aggressively on 2500, but I have to be ramming 150mcg of T3 down my neck to be doing so :D I love eating, which I could bulk on 5000kcal a day like some of the folks here do. Maybe if I wasn't so lazy when I'm not training then I might burn more calories :lol:

Ross1991 likes this

35 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

I'm jealous of you :lol: I mean, I can cut really aggressively on 2500, but I have to be ramming 150mcg of T3 down my neck to be doing so :D I love eating, which I could bulk on 5000kcal a day like some of the folks here do. Maybe if I wasn't so lazy when I'm not training then I might burn more calories :lol:

Was up to 5100+ on my last bulk to barely see a pound a week. Never felt so sick trying to cram the calories in haha.

I'mNotAPervert! likes this

4 minutes ago, Ross1991 said:

Was up to 5100+ on my last bulk to barely see a pound a week. Never felt so sick trying to cram the calories in haha.

Sounds ideal to me to just eat all day :lol: I shouldn't be hitting my calories during a bulk and still have to show restraint on what I'm eating, but that's what happens!

Ross1991 likes this

8 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Sounds ideal to me to just eat all day :lol: I shouldn't be hitting my calories during a bulk and still have to show restraint on what I'm eating, but that's what happens!

I suppose I'd rather find it harder to gain weight (eat more shite) then be able to lean up easier than the other way around.

just lack of appetite I hope after this cut I can get to sensible eating and still progress :thumb

I'mNotAPervert! likes this

11 minutes ago, Ross1991 said:

I suppose I'd rather find it harder to gain weight (eat more shite) then be able to lean up easier than the other way around.

just lack of appetite I hope after this cut I can get to sensible eating and still progress :thumb

If I could get away with running high doses of T3 forever then I would do haha, but I get side effects after a month so I can't. Not saying I absolutely cannot cut up without using thyroid and fat burners, but it's shocking how much I find the side effects of those more tolerable than constant hunger from consuming even less calories without them :lol: But yeah, it ain't all bad these days. Bulk on 3500 which is a decent amount for me, then when it's time for a mini-cut just bang in the T3 and DNP for a couple weeks, lower the calories to 3000 and watch the fat fall off :D At times, I'm the epitome of letting the drugs do the work :lol:

Ross1991 likes this

On 20/04/2017 at 7:22 PM, Jeddy11 said:

208 x 4 = 832

187 x 4 = 748

43 x 9 = 387

Around 1967 and then he has another meal 2500 is doable :)

My point was he thinks he's eating 2500 PLUS his evening meal, but in reality it's probably lower than that by enough of a margin to make a big difference (500 cals is enough to make a deficit into maintenence or less)

Are you using Myfitnesspal? If so your total calories are probably right and it's just some of the macro data that's off. The data is just entered by other users, many of whom only care about calories and so don't always bother entering all the macro data. It's not essential but it's worth checking if you want the totals to be right.

For info. the total calories on food labels includes 2 kcal/g for fibre, in addition to the main macronutrient contributions discussed above.

See I ignore cals and go by macros alone, tbh as long as I check the foods and stick to getting protein, carbs and fats right it makes it easy to gauge progress, fibre is incidental for me as long as I make a conscious effort to include it :) cals are always higher by 4-5% I reckon so fibre could well explain that :) nice point there