Apple04

The fear of getting fat and overtraining

62 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, superdrol said:

Everyone does daft things pal, just learn from it or learn a touch of self control, rome wasn't built in a day, slow n steady wins the race ;)

as your paying him, maybe ask him what you should be lifting and see how he'd structure your program, he has first hand experience of you, tell him you want to learn how to bench, squat and deadlift with proper form and learn it from very light weights if he says so, as he probably just thinks you've skipped learning the basics and jumped to heavier weights than you should be too quickly hence him trying to get you on machines where it's harder to damage yourself or cause yourself injury

as much as PTs can be dickheads they are paid to learn stuff, come back with what he says and where he'd start and then take it from there, but also remember that his observations and instructions are based on actual physical contact with you and not second hand based on what you say on here :)  consistency is key though!

Also thanks for the reply mate :)

@Apple04

Learn the basics with light weight, focus on compound movements, the best bang for your buck are;

Bench

Dips

Deadlift

Chin-ups

Barbell Rows

Standing Overhead Press

Squats 

Practice those with light weight for a few weeks, sets of 5-10. After a few weeks start to add weight weekly and up your kcals to 3200. Probably the best approach for you. 

Add somd curls and rear rear delt work to the above, all you need for now. 

Apple04 likes this

5 hours ago, Apple04 said:

I wish you could see me right now because I literally don't know what to do at this point. And yes I do have an obsession with weight when it comes to not training for a week. It's getting me really nervous right now.

Big picture - there is absolutely nothing for you to be feeling nervous about. You're young, healthy and still growing naturally. 

There is no need to be scared of gaining a little fat as losing it again is pretty straightforward, especially for someone as naturally lean as yourself.

5 hours ago, Mayzini said:

I am interested in your opinion on this one, on the one had 2600 calories would appear to be approximately 500 above his maintenance ( obviously at a rough guess as no one is fixed) but with running etc.  My gut says he is probably a hard gainer, and needs to up his intake by another 500 calories, especially if he is going to implement a structured training regime.    @Apple04 I am concerned that you appear obsessed with this getting fat idea, which already appears an unhealthy obsession. 

If you weight isnt going up then you need to take in more calories and train consistently. 

My suggestion would be to increase calories by 100 kcal per week until he starts gaining weight.

(For myself, when weight gain stalls I find as little as a 50 kcal increase can get things going again. In a recent interview I heard Mike Israetel suggest 100 kcal increases. I don't think people need as large an increase in calories as is commonly used. From the weights Apple04 has posted I don't think he's too far off the right level.)

Mayzini and Apple04 like this

One other quick thought: stop worrying about trying to get things somehow 'perfect'. Its impossible and unnecessary. 

Take calorie intake for example. Everyone's energy expenditure varies from day to day so it is flat out impossible to ever know what the 'perfect' calorie intake is for a particular day. All anyone can ultimately do is monitor what is happening to their weight and body fat levels over time and make adjustments based on this. Sure I'll eat more if I'm particularly active on a particular day, but it's very much a guesstimate rather than any sort of carefully calculated adjustment!

Apple04 and Mayzini like this

When i'm doing tht workout when I wake up I ain't gonna no warm up sets because I don't see how you can do warm up sets with bodyweight exercise, anyway i'll stretch and that's basically it for my warm up.

I think you have anorexia (seriously) To weigh 55kg as a MALE and be 17 is really unhealthy and the fact you worry about getting fat so you feel you must do things to limit that just screams anorexia.

47 minutes ago, NoGutsNoGloryy said:

I think you have anorexia (seriously) To weigh 55kg as a MALE and be 17 is really unhealthy and the fact you worry about getting fat so you feel you must do things to limit that just screams anorexia.

That's just not true. He is in the healthy weight range on the BMI chart I posted on one of the OP's many threads. You probably aren't factoring in that he isn't particularly tall but it's really not helpful to start throwing around terms like anorexia.

38 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

That's just not true. He is in the healthy weight range on the BMI chart I posted on one of the OP's many threads. You probably aren't factoring in that he isn't particularly tall but it's really not helpful to start throwing around terms like anorexia.

Your right in that his weight isn't low, however his disproportionate fear of gaining an ounce of fat is worrying to me.... anorexic.... no not that serious, but overly body concious verging on the unhealthy is more like it and it's good he's going to see someone about it aswell 

16 minutes ago, superdrol said:

Your right in that his weight isn't low, however his disproportionate fear of gaining an ounce of fat is worrying to me.... anorexic.... no not that serious, but overly body concious verging on the unhealthy is more like it and it's good he's going to see someone about it aswell 

I encouraged Apple04 to see his GP about this in one of his threads for exactly this reason. 

superdrol likes this

6 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

I encouraged Apple04 to see his GP about this in one of his threads for exactly this reason. 

Yup, I saw that and it can only be a good thing, maybe show the doc his words in here and he'll get more of an idea what we're seeing

On 19/04/2017 at 2:34 PM, Apple04 said:

Yes I do it's at the other side of the city, which is 6 miles

6 miles? That's like 40 mins on push bike? Why not do that?

43 minutes ago, Haunted_Sausage said:

6 miles? That's like 40 mins on push bike? Why not do that?

He doesn't have a bike and very little to no income bud, gets fifteen quid a week from college and his dad buys his food, someone has suggested a job already before you say it 

Haunted_Sausage likes this