Apple04

The fear of getting fat and overtraining

62 posts in this topic

Everytime I start something new I feel like I have to do it a lot. I went for a 2 mile run yesterday as you know but I don't know if I should do it today, man it's annoying me because I just feel i'll get fat if I don't do it because tdee goes down which in turn means you have to eat less. I feel like doing it but then I don't. I do LISS everyday. It's really worrying me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A two mile run is not much. You could do that daily the rest of your life IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Apple04 said:

Everytime I start something new I feel like I have to do it a lot. I went for a 2 mile run yesterday as you know but I don't know if I should do it today, man it's annoying me because I just feel i'll get fat if I don't do it because tdee goes down which in turn means you have to eat less. I feel like doing it but then I don't. I do LISS everyday. It's really worrying me.

Does the following sentence below sound familiar to you, or would you say it's something you've never heard of before?

Periodisation and gradual progressive overload.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad said he's giving me his bus ticket when he gets back so i'm going to the gym. I'm wondering how much sets I should do though. 20 sets? Or more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Apple04 said:

My dad said he's giving me his bus ticket when he gets back so i'm going to the gym. I'm wondering how much sets I should do though. 20 sets? Or more?

How old (or young) are you mate? How much do you weigh and how tall are you? How long have you been weight training?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Apple04 said:

My dad said he's giving me his bus ticket when he gets back so i'm going to the gym. I'm wondering how much sets I should do though. 20 sets? Or more?

What you normally do and stick to it, if you keep changing s**t your calorie requirements will be all over the place, make a four week plan and stick to it, no more or no less, is that so hard to do, otherwise you will never know what your doing! Set a day for a run, set routines for the gym, it sounds like you need structure or you just do whatever you feel like, some people can do that and adjust as they go, but you don't known enough to do that, the end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Apple04 said:

My dad said he's giving me his bus ticket when he gets back so i'm going to the gym. I'm wondering how much sets I should do though. 20 sets? Or more?

Honestly are you trolling or honestly asking for advice.    if asking for advice, could I ask you age and stats height weight , training history. what your eating is like now.  from there we can help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're massively overthinking things. Chill.

For now just worry about pushing yourself to get stronger in the gym and eating enough so you are gradually gaining weight but not getting really fat.

The only time to consider you might be overtraining is if you find yourself getting weaker from one gym session to the next. You'll also generally feel crap/exhausted.

(IIRC you're 16 and have only recently started lifting, right?)

Edit - I see you're 17 but my advice holds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mayzini said:

Honestly are you trolling or honestly asking for advice.    if asking for advice, could I ask you age and stats height weight , training history. what your eating is like now.  from there we can help 

I'm 55.5kg and 5'6 feet, my training history is 6 months and my diet is at 2620 calories eating oats for breakfast with whey, peanut butter and a bagel. Then for lunch tuna and rice, then for dinner. Chicken/Fish/Red meat with rice and vegetables. Then for a snack if i'm low on fats I hsve peanut butter and if i'm not I have a bagel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Apple04 said:

I'm 55.5kg and 5'6 feet, my training history is 6 months and my diet is at 2620 calories eating oats for breakfast with whey, peanut butter and a bagel. Then for lunch tuna and rice, then for dinner. Chicken/Fish/Red meat with rice and vegetables. Then for a snack if i'm low on fats I hsve peanut butter and if i'm not I have a bagel.

blimey your 8 stone, are you male ??  I assume you are.   your 17 you cannot overtrain that your age,   Blimey your not going to get fat on that. whats your goal, if its to put on size which it would be for me if I was a guy at that weight ( my wife is the same height and weight not slating you just saying your light to say the least) . You need to eat more and structure your training but that depends on your goal, but  I assume your on this forum for a reason.   I dont think your eating enough personally, but calories are dependent on goal. 

Apple04 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mayzini said:

blimey your 8 stone, are you male ??  I assume you are.   your 17 you cannot overtrain that your age,   Blimey your not going to get fat on that. whats your goal, if its to put on size which it would be for me if I was a guy at that weight ( my wife is the same height and weight not slating you just saying your light to say the least) . You need to eat more and structure your training but that depends on your goal, but  I assume your on this forum for a reason.   I dont think your eating enough personally, but calories are dependent on goal. 

To get bigger and healthy, that's it really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Apple04 said:

My dad said he's giving me his bus ticket when he gets back so i'm going to the gym. I'm wondering how much sets I should do though. 20 sets? Or more?

Just stick to whatever routine you normally do, no need to change it because you've been for a run. The two mile runs daily are fine if they're just jogging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Just stick to whatever routine you normally do, no need to change it because you've been for a run. The two mile runs daily are fine if they're just jogging.

The PT last week suggested a 4 sets of 5 exercises upper body and the same for legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Apple04 said:

The PT last week suggested a 4 sets of 5 exercises upper body and the same for legs.

Very vague, not surprised seeing that it's a PT :lol: Try this https://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696

Oddly, it says it's not a beginner routine, but I'd ignore that. I say it's perfect for beginners. A good focus on the basics, high frequency, a standard progression system - only thing I'd change is, rather than deloading at intervals, just deload when you start seeing lifts stall.

Ultrasonic likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Very vague, not surprised seeing that it's a PT :lol: Try this https://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696

Oddly, it says it's not a beginner routine, but I'd ignore that. I say it's perfect for beginners. A good focus on the basics, high frequency, a standard progression system - only thing I'd change is, rather than deloading at intervals, just deload when you start seeing lifts stall.

I'm only allowed to train 3 days a week because cannot my dad can only afford that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Very vague, not surprised seeing that it's a PT :lol: Try this https://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696

Oddly, it says it's not a beginner routine, but I'd ignore that. I say it's perfect for beginners. A good focus on the basics, high frequency, a standard progression system - only thing I'd change is, rather than deloading at intervals, just deload when you start seeing lifts stall.

Yeah if I don't follow the PT's routine he said he's going to cancel my membership for lifting too much and doing too much. He did tell me to do resistance machine exercises so you get used to the form. He told me for Upper Body. Shoulder Press, Chest Press, Bicep Curl, Tricep extension and lat pull down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the PT cannot cancel your membership for lifting to much, what a prat I would be complaining to the gym, how are machines going to teach you form again rubbish.  At your age, you would be good to just do a full body routine 3 days a week monday/wednesday/friday but dont get uptight about which days essentially just stay consistent with the three days a week. There are plenty of plans if you google.  I lifted this from somewhere but its covers the basics. you can substitute exercises week on week if you like, exampled swapping wide grip chins, with lat pulldowns.   

Monday

  • Dumbbell bench presses 3 x 10
  • Seated dumbbell presses 2 x 10
  • Wide-grip chins 3 x 10
  • Leg presses 3 x 10
  • Glute/ham raises 3 x 15

Wednesday

  • Flat-bench flyes 3 x 10
  • Bent-over rows 3 x 10
  • Squats 3 x 10
  • Leg extensions 3 x 12
  • EZ-curl-bar curls 2 x 15
  • Dips  1 x 15-20

Friday

  • Incline dumbbell presses 3 x 10
  • Cable rows 3 x 10
  • Stiff-legged deadlifts 4 x 8
  • Dumbbell lunges 2 x 15
  • Standing calf raises 3 x 20-25

just being consistent with this would see you right,  you could throw in a little cardio if you like for general fitness, but be careful if your looking to bulk as at your weightI assume you might be a struggle to gain weight.  again I would ask what is you goal as I cant seem to find what you want to achieve long term.

Apple04 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If my dad comes back at 5pm or more I can't to the gym as it will be too late so if that happens Quackerz and some other nice people suggested me a bodyweight workout I can do tomorrow, Friday and Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mayzini said:

the PT cannot cancel your membership for lifting to much, what a prat I would be complaining to the gym, how are machines going to teach you form again rubbish.  At your age, you would be good to just do a full body routine 3 days a week monday/wednesday/friday but dont get uptight about which days essentially just stay consistent with the three days a week. There are plenty of plans if you google.  I lifted this from somewhere but its covers the basics. you can substitute exercises week on week if you like, exampled swapping wide grip chins, with lat pulldowns.   

Monday

  • Dumbbell bench presses 3 x 10
  • Seated dumbbell presses 2 x 10
  • Wide-grip chins 3 x 10
  • Leg presses 3 x 10
  • Glute/ham raises 3 x 15

Wednesday

  • Flat-bench flyes 3 x 10
  • Bent-over rows 3 x 10
  • Squats 3 x 10
  • Leg extensions 3 x 12
  • EZ-curl-bar curls 2 x 15
  • Dips  1 x 15-20

Friday

  • Incline dumbbell presses 3 x 10
  • Cable rows 3 x 10
  • Stiff-legged deadlifts 4 x 8
  • Dumbbell lunges 2 x 15
  • Standing calf raises 3 x 20-25

just being consistent with this would see you right,  you could throw in a little cardio if you like for general fitness, but be careful if your looking to bulk as at your weightI assume you might be a struggle to gain weight.  again I would ask what is you goal as I cant seem to find what you want to achieve long term.

To look lean long term. I don't want a 6 pack because I feel as though that's overrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mayzini said:

the PT cannot cancel your membership for lifting to much, what a prat I would be complaining to the gym, how are machines going to teach you form again rubbish.  At your age, you would be good to just do a full body routine 3 days a week monday/wednesday/friday but dont get uptight about which days essentially just stay consistent with the three days a week. There are plenty of plans if you google.  I lifted this from somewhere but its covers the basics. you can substitute exercises week on week if you like, exampled swapping wide grip chins, with lat pulldowns.   

Monday

  • Dumbbell bench presses 3 x 10
  • Seated dumbbell presses 2 x 10
  • Wide-grip chins 3 x 10
  • Leg presses 3 x 10
  • Glute/ham raises 3 x 15

Wednesday

  • Flat-bench flyes 3 x 10
  • Bent-over rows 3 x 10
  • Squats 3 x 10
  • Leg extensions 3 x 12
  • EZ-curl-bar curls 2 x 15
  • Dips  1 x 15-20

Friday

  • Incline dumbbell presses 3 x 10
  • Cable rows 3 x 10
  • Stiff-legged deadlifts 4 x 8
  • Dumbbell lunges 2 x 15
  • Standing calf raises 3 x 20-25

just being consistent with this would see you right,  you could throw in a little cardio if you like for general fitness, but be careful if your looking to bulk as at your weightI assume you might be a struggle to gain weight.  again I would ask what is you goal as I cant seem to find what you want to achieve long term.

I'm gonna use that plan and stick to it, and yes I will indeed add in some cardio work. If it's not too late to go to gym I will do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Apple04 said:

I'm gonna use that plan and stick to it, and yes I will indeed add in some cardio work. If it's not too late to go to gym I will do this.

Do you live a long way from the gym?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snorbitz1uk said:

Do you live a long way from the gym?

Yes I do it's at the other side of the city, which is 6 miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, Apple04 said:

To look lean long term. I don't want a 6 pack because I feel as though that's overrated.

but your 8 stone now that is pretty skinny, if you want to build muscle, you need to eat sufficient surplus calories and train consistently, at your age you should have amazing results especially in your first year of training if done right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now