UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Feeder workouts, do they work?

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  66983 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

This guy did bicep and tricep feeder exercises 5 x week and put just over 1/2" on his arms in a month,

Know I understand that this is NOT muscle growth as explained by someone from Reddit below, but my question is if it does promote growth (and lets be honest any growth is good yes?) would you keep the added size afterwards if you went back to doing arms say twice a week?

Also would you continue to add size if you kept on doing the feeder exercises indefinitely?

Quote: When cells in your body go without oxygen for a prolonged period, they release special chemicals, called growth factors, that basically tell your body "hey, we're not getting enough oxygen over here, how about we grow some more capillaries (the smallest type of blood vessel, about as wide as a single red blood cell) so we can get some blood.

When the guy in the video does sets of 100 reps, his arm muscles will use up all the available oxygen and enter a hypoxic or anaerobic state.

The cells in his arms then release the growth factors, and over the course of a month he likely grew significantly more capillaries in his arms.

I called this a permanent increase in blood flow, but I'm not quite sure that's accurate.

I'd have to read up on it again, but I believe if he completely stopped working out he would eventually lose those new capillaries.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19258658

See less See more
#2 ·
Just to add to this, I started Monday this week with 100 x bicep curl and 100 x tricep push down's.

Yesterday I did 3 x 100 bicep curl and 300 x bicep pushdown/skull crushers.

Will do this for a month and post the results.

This is extra to my standard 5 x day workout.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not got time to watch the video but if the question boils down to does metabolite ('burn'/pump) training lead to growth then the answer is yes. That's not the same as saying it's the best way to train long term but I think periodically is probably a good idea. Note that blood flow restriction training would fall under the same category.

(The mechanisms of WHY it works are almost certainly not properly understood.)

#4 ·
Not got time to watch the video but if the question boils down to does metabolite ('burn'/pump) training lead to growth then the answer is yes. That's not the same as saying it's the best way to train long term but I think periodically is probably a good idea. Note that blood flow restriction training would fall under the same category.

(The mechanisms of WHY it works are almost certainly not properly understood.)
With this not being actual muscle growth, do you think you would still gain size whilst on a calorie deficit?

#6 ·
From mild experience i can say they work, I did Lateral side raises every day at home 2 x 50 reps with a weight i could handle for 4 weeks as a test. I also did a 1 shoulder workout per week. I saw growth for sure and would look to do it again potentially. All i would say was i seemed to gain more niggles in my shoulders, No way i could do it any longer than 4 weeks. Next one i am looking at doing is 4 weeks of Squats or lunges.

#8 ·
It's worth bearing in mind this approach is combining two things - high frequency and metabolite build-up. High frequency conventional training is another option to consider. I've particularly seen this suggested for muscles that recover quickly like biceps and lateral delts. I've recently started experimenting with training lateral delts three days per week and biceps 4 days per week with this in mind actually.

#12 ·
First week was damn sore after the 4th day, but by 7th day my body had got use to it, One thing to note increased strength, I lateral raise the 17.5kg with ease and can even get the 20kg moving, before i did it i struggled with the 15kgs

At the moment i am testing the 100 reps with a standard 7ft barbell twice a week, supposedly you can only achieve this if you have around 17 inch arms. I got up to 60 reps at the moment ( last 15 cheats to be honest).

#13 ·
First week was damn sore after the 4th day, but by 7th day my body had got use to it, One thing to note increased strength, I lateral raise the 17.5kg with ease and can even get the 20kg moving, before i did it i struggled with the 15kgs

At the moment i am testing the 100 reps with a standard 7ft barbell twice a week, supposedly you can only achieve this if you have around 17 inch arms. I got up to 60 reps at the moment ( last 15 cheats to be honest).
My arms are over 17 inches and I don't know if I could do it :lol:

#21 ·
Finished for this week, did an extra 200 reps each for bi's and tri's, that's 3000 reps this week.

I have done a cheeky measure this morning with arms cold (not after training and pumped) and I have actually put a bit on.

Mondays measure was 44cm (17.3228 inches).

Fridays measure 45cm (17.7165 inches).

Using a body comp tape.

Not a huge amount I know but lets see what happens over the next 6 weeks.

#22 ·
I always envisaged these size gains to be temporary and predominantly due to inflammation which would subside after a prolonged period of rest.

Will be interested to hear the results and if they remain after a period of a couple of weeks when you return to normal training splits. Fingers crossed they stay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.