Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boaz

Best cardio for fat man to lose weight

9 posts in this topic

Hi all joining the gym next week just wondering what would be the best routine to lose weight?  I enjoy rowing plus flywheel bike. I could also push myself onto a treadmil although I'm proper garbage at running. Would these 3 exercises be sufficient. Please could some one guide me on how long I would need to do these for length of time per exercise?  

I'm also doing weights as I enjoy lifting. Used to do it years ago. I'm chasing the body I used to have when I was younger 

I'm 111kg 5ft 11  29 years old eating clean non processed foods now. 

I'll be taking 3 maybe 4 trips per week to the gym doing both cardio and weights on each visit. Should I be doing my weights first then cardio or other way around 

Thanks for any help you can give 

Eating in a calorie deficit is the most effective way to lose weight.

Low impact cardio would be my choice to start off with. Exercise bike and rowing machine would be ideal.

Ultrasonic and Sasnak like this

Yeah I've got no problem with understanding the deficit.   I'm fat I eat too much and move to little.

I know I could lose weight currently by eating correct but to boost this with cardio would be nice along with helping be become fitter is always good 

1 hour ago, Boaz said:

Yeah I've got no problem with understanding the deficit.   I'm fat I eat too much and move to little.

I know I could lose weight currently by eating correct but to boost this with cardio would be nice along with helping be become fitter is always good 

That is in essence the summary of fat loss, despite a billion internet articles on the subject. Ok we can take about what foods but you get the point

You should do cardio to boost the weight loss but more importantly a whole raft of other health benefits and will massively increase your fitness, It will just make like a lot easier

As for what to do, bike, rowing, cross trainer or anything that doesn't bang you about. A brisk walk on an incline threadmill would be better than a run for the sake of your knees.

Treadmills are good in that with a bike you can easily lose concentration and before you know it you RPM have dropped. On a threadmill you have no choice, otherwise you are in the floor. Don't get into the habit of grabbing the bar on the incline. If you need to,  the incline is too steep

Also, a spinning class or any group class is excellent motivation as if you jack it in half way you have the walk of shame out the door. 

Forget HIIT or anything like that for now. You can do more damage than good if your unfit

Try aim to complete the time, if its too hard, reduce the pace temporarily, but ensure you finish the time. It will keep your cardio sessions consistent 

As for time, the more you do the better it is, but there has to be a sensible limit to fit nicely in with your lifestyle

DC1 likes this

Should it be an hours cardio though?

Bike 25 mins 

Rest 10 mins

Rowing 25 mins

And like 40 mins of weights. Doing different areas each day in the week 

Thanks for your help mate very juch appreciated

18 hours ago, Boaz said:

Should it be an hours cardio though?

Bike 25 mins 

Rest 10 mins

Rowing 25 mins

And like 40 mins of weights. Doing different areas each day in the week 

Thanks for your help mate very juch appreciated

Doing an 1h 40mins in the gym will soon hack you off I think. If you want to lost weight go top heavy on cardio. You can switch back later to more weights if you want. I admit cardio is dull as sh#t at times. Why people want to run a marathon is beyond me lol

My routine these days is 

4 days: 30: to 40mins weights + 30mins cardio

1 day: 1 hour cardio.

i am doing this because I have let body fat get out of hand but at the same time want to preserve muscle. 

If you like doing it and know you will consistently do it, then that's the one to choose. So choose the machines that interest you. Remember if you heart is beating fast and you are tired afterwards, you have done a good session. If you can hold a conversation with someone during cardio its benefits are very limited (better than nothing of course)

I'd say try

Weights first 30mins.  

Then 30mins of cardio, no rest (15mins bike, 15mins row if you like those machines). If too easy, up the tempo. If fatigue sets in after a few weeks, ease off on it. 5 days might be too much so 3 to 4 at the start and then reassess. I am at it a long time so can recover pretty much straight away.

The benefit of cardio doesn't end the moment you leave the gym it will continue for the rest of the day. Measure you heart rate later on that day and you will see

By the way your diet will trump all of this in terms of fat loss (ignoring health benefits), so don't neglect it. You can lose weight just by cutting down your portion size, i.e. like a stick thin girl who never eats and never exercises 

Please don't take this the wrong way but given what you've told us about your height and weight it does sound like you're quite out of shape and unfit.

As such I'd recommend something like 3 sessions of cardio each week. 2 of low intensity steady state and 1 of High intensity impact training.

(commonly abbreviated as LISS and HIIT)

But for your HIIT session rather than trying to run up an incline treadmill for sprints I'd suggest something like getting in a swimming pool and trying to swim a length as fast as possible. Then a length to recover. Repeat 8 times.

Its done and dusted in about 20 minutes and it's very low impact on your joints and helps support your weight.

At the size you are now, one session a week where you are still working out (and hard) but giving your joints a rest is going to be very beneficial imo.