rsd147

Lower Back...

8 posts in this topic

So around 8 weeks ago I went to the doctors with lower back pain. Hurt to squat, deadlift and in general was very painful. He suggested it was the sacroiliac joint and prescribed me with naproxen 500mg and gave me some exercises to do. He said if the pain hasn't cleared up, then get in touch.

In the meantime a mate of mine in the gym who is a physio examined me and believed it could be a bulging disc so did some work on the area and gave me some stretches and told me to avoid any lower body/OHP work. As it wasn't really getting any better to be honest (Did have some good days) I have been back to my doctors and awaiting an appointment for physio and hoping for a scan but still awaiting an appointment as I needed to go down proper channel rather than seeing a friend.

It is driving me crazy, 8/9 weeks on and to be honest it feels worse, pain is horrific when standing up and first set off walking for while, pain through left buttock, all the way down my calf. Constant achy pain and sudden movements are really painful. As weird as it sounds, feels sometimes like it is dislocated :/ and find naproxen is not helping.

Is there anything people recommend or feel it could be as I know it has got worse?

Thanks

On 4/11/2017 at 10:48 PM, rsd147 said:

So around 8 weeks ago I went to the doctors with lower back pain. Hurt to squat, deadlift and in general was very painful. He suggested it was the sacroiliac joint and prescribed me with naproxen 500mg and gave me some exercises to do. He said if the pain hasn't cleared up, then get in touch.

In the meantime a mate of mine in the gym who is a physio examined me and believed it could be a bulging disc so did some work on the area and gave me some stretches and told me to avoid any lower body/OHP work. As it wasn't really getting any better to be honest (Did have some good days) I have been back to my doctors and awaiting an appointment for physio and hoping for a scan but still awaiting an appointment as I needed to go down proper channel rather than seeing a friend.

It is driving me crazy, 8/9 weeks on and to be honest it feels worse, pain is horrific when standing up and first set off walking for while, pain through left buttock, all the way down my calf. Constant achy pain and sudden movements are really painful. As weird as it sounds, feels sometimes like it is dislocated :/ and find naproxen is not helping.

Is there anything people recommend or feel it could be as I know it has got worse?

Thanks

They way the treat back pain in the UK is ridiculous. Prescribing medicine is beyond retarded. Its a mechanical problem and anti - inflammatory and pain killers just provide temporary relief and can actually worsen the problem as you start training and exercising an injury whilst deadening the pain hence you are just exaggerating the issue. The pain is there for a reason

I suffer with 3 prolapses disks, offset spinal column and hypersentitative nerves and had to take epilim fro years (same as what epileptics take) . I have been to 3 counties for treatment including £1000 hour for one hour with a neurosurgen. All made little difference apart from one or two private fellows. Spend a year off work and had to wear a foot brace due to wasted calf muscles

Only thing that works and consistently works over the 20 years is a good osteopath or chiropractor. I'd imagine a sports physio could help but never seen one. A chiropractor can manipulate the bones through various techniques, however you must to do a lot of stretching yourself at home several times a week, every day at the start. Its not a quick fix, hamstring / quads  / hip flexors, rotational hip movements stretch,  low back stretch etc. Nothing that puts pressure on the disks so no bending forward to tip your toes. A solid strong core will also help immensely. But whatever you do, you should not feel nerve pain, muscle "sweet" pain is good 

I see a Chinese Doctor here in china, some fat man who beats the sh#t out of me every month for an hour for £20. These guys know what they are doing. Acupuncture, spinal manipulation and forceful muscle messaging (it f#cking hurts) but it works better than any treatment I have ever had in the UK including private hospitals and groomed shiny Harley street doctors with numerous MRI scans and XRays. The problem in the UK is that they spend 10mins with you and f#ck you out. It's a long process and will work no question. 

superdrol and charlysays like this

TBH the above is bang on about uk docs... have some pain meds, go away and see if it gets better... at the minute my back is loads better.... but I have a numb calf and permenant pins and needles in my foot... sciatic nerve central... just waiting to see doc about my second MRI scan results next weds

JohhnyC likes this

Think it's hard to really offer concrete advice until you've had a scan to find out what's actually going on. Sounds rough though, especially given how long it usually takes to actually get a scan.

superdrol likes this

I had this when I was about 18. Widebased left paracentral L5 disc prolapse but with no significant foraminal narrowing and an "adequate spinal canal" (MRI scan came 3 yrs after injury mind so was probably a larger prolapse at the time). It sucks. Used to take 15 mins just to get out of bed and then I'd be walking around taking mini steps for an hour. Slightest wrong movement, even reaching up to a cupboard and i'd sometimes end up on the floor. After 6 months it was quite a lot better but I'd still get bad pain if standing still more than 20 mins. I'd say it was 18 months before it wasn't bothering me to any significant degree. I don't do deadlifts anymore and rarely squat. For legs I use leg press and go cycling. 10 yrs later and I can do everything I want to basically, surfing is certainly fine. Occasionally if I push it and use my back stupidly it feels a bit on edge for a day or two then it's Ok. Sometimes get some mild sciatic pains.

The best things I've found are active rest (walking is good), inversion tables and being extremely mindful of how you use your back outside of the gym in everyday life. Lots of people aren't aware that they habitually sit with a rounded back or pick stuff up off the floor by bending the back and not the knees. I'm not saying this is you, but it pays to be aware of how the spine works, how flexion and extension put different pressure on the discs and how daily movements affect this. In general whilst you have pain avoid all flexion. In time start gradually stretching your lower back into flexion whilst lying on the floor by pulling your knees to your chest.

I personally found mackenzie exercises helpful- most physios will prescribe this. They basically involve putting your lumbar spine into extension which has the effect of the vertebre either side of the damaged disc squeazing on the bulge and encouraging the nucleus of the disc to move anteriorly away from the nerve. Over time this often reduces the prolapse and encourages the outer 3rd of the annulus (which has a blood supply and nerves and is able to heal slowly) to heal leading to recovery.

This disc is always weak then, as the inner 2/3 of the annulus aren't really able to heal. If some of the nucleus was extruded then the disc will loose height too which may or may not be a bad thing (less pressure internally= less chance of re-herniation but also will cause some instability and degeneration).

I know people who've had great results with chiropractors and osteopaths but also know people who had a minor bulge which was turned into a massive herniation by a high velocity manouvre. Perhaps find a McTimoney chiropractor first before going for one who goes in for crunching your back. Hope you get better soon mate.... rest assured that with appropriate conservative treatment 90%+ of disc problems resolve :)

So just an update....

Managed to get a cancellation on the NHS physio and was seen Tuesday to be told the same thing that something has triggered the sciatic nerve pain so I have been given some further stretches which hopefully will help and will need to go back in 3 weeks. Work on more rotation and leaning forward.

Also on Tuesday I went for a Deep tissue/sports massage (also Rehabilitation Practitioner) and I told him my pains and what I think has caused it from Squatting and deadlifting. He asked me to do a squat and observed that I slightly lean on my left side (Almost like a S shape as I go out, then in) which may have triggered the pain. He said my back was very stiff and tight so he has relieved some of the stiffness and pain. He thinks this is causing pain on the sciatic nerve. Told me to go away work on my squat with just the bar, lunges, Kettlebell swings and rotation work like the NHS physio suggested. Any ideas on what you think to this?

Since Tuesday, It felt really good, best it has felt in 9 weeks, however, I did some squats this morning, very slow and controlled using just the bar trying to ensure I am not leaning on any side but I in a little pain now in the back. Would you think this is normal or should I lay off them?