UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

wifi extender problem

409 views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  BLUE(UK) 
#1 ·
Hi, does anyone using wifi extenders? Im at my dad atm he had a brilliant idea he wants to have his wifi in the garage so he bought a wifi extender and there is a problem. I spent half day yesterday to set it up by 3 different methods few times and there is always same result...

so it works for few minutes and then when it lose signal it cant reconnect, you can see your wifi is in range but when you connect it shows "obtaining ip adress..." and cant connect...

Is it possible is because his internet dont have static ip but dynamic?

#2 ·
Hi, does anyone using wifi extenders? Im at my dad atm he had a brilliant idea he wants to have his wifi in the garage so he bought a wifi extender and there is a problem. I spent half day yesterday to set it up by 3 different methods few times and there is always same result...

so it works for few minutes and then when it lose signal it cant reconnect, you can see your wifi is in range but when you connect it shows "obtaining ip adress..." and cant connect...

Is it possible is because his internet dont have static ip but dynamic?
The extender isn't connecting to the internet, your router is... so I can't see it being an IP issue. Also not many domestic users use a static IP, so it shouldn't be reliant on that. Don't know what setting you have on the extender but I'd imagine things like dhcp should be off so the router issues the local IP addresses to the devices... basicaly making it as dump as possible. I've never used an extender though so I can't really offer any advice.

When you say 'it' loses signal, do you mean the extender or the device connected to the extender? The extender should be located in the direction of the garage, but still in a good wifi signal area i.e. not in the garage itself,

#6 ·
The extender isn't connecting to the internet, your router is... so I can't see it being an IP issue. Also not many domestic users use a static IP, so it shouldn't be reliant on that. Don't know what setting you have on the extender but I'd imagine things like dhcp should be off so the router issues the local IP addresses to the devices... basicaly making it as dump as possible. I've never used an extender though so I can't really offer any advice.

When you say 'it' loses signal, do you mean the extender or the device connected to the extender? The extender should be located in the direction of the garage, but still in a good wifi signal area i.e. not in the garage itself,
Router works fine and if you in in range of the router its fine but then if you go outside it disconnect and try to reconnect to the extender and then it shows "obtaining ip adress"

Weird thing when I first set it up it worked outside but then disconnected and couldnt reconnect

#3 ·
Maybe try changing channels?

i've also had problems where other gizmos connected blocks the 2.4Ghz signal and therefore is better with 5Ghz although 5Ghz doesn't stretch as far.

I now mostly hardwire if I want a good fast connection. 2 TV's so far and will probably do my PC in my 'office' next.

#8 ·
You tried moving it closer to the router?... its supposed to be in between the router and the location which needs wifi. Not at the location the wifi is needed.

TBH. He's probably better running a cat5 out to the garage!
Tried next to the router and in different location still same problem with ip...

It supposed to be plug & play, there is wps button in the router you press "range extender" in the extender, this is one of the method, other method you plug it to computer by ethernet or do it wireless by login to extender wifi and set it up with home network

In both cases it works max few mins then disconnect and cant reconnect

it could be something with dhcp? Coz it is originally switched off but Im not some geek and simply dont get it

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'd just run a cable.

I have Lync/Skype for business on my work laptop and use it as my phone, bloody thing never works on the wifi properly and i'll have full reception one minute and then zero the next, it's so annoying. I've just ended up plugging a cable into the router run it across the room when i work from home.

Something to do with packets of data dropping or something, that's what our IT support say anyway, they're probably lying and just can't be fvcked to look in to it for me though.

Does it make a difference if he's trying to use it for video etc?

#10 ·
I'd just run a cable.

I have Lync/Skype for business on my work laptop and use it as my phone, bloody thing never works on the wifi properly and i'll have full reception one minute and then zero the next, it's so annoying. I've just ended up plugging a cable into the router run it across the room when i work from home.

Something to do with packets of data dropping or something, that's what our IT support say anyway, they're probably lying and just can't be fvcked to look in to it for me though.

Does it make a difference if he's trying to use it for video etc?
Wifi works well, 2 laptops, 2 tvs and few phone connected and no problem but he is fvcking stubborn and want have wifi in the garage lol I told him already to use phone data there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.