Old timer

Advise for 47 year old

33 posts in this topic

Been out of the game for 5 +years now, it's always been on my mind (don't think it will ever go) but didn't have the 100% commitment. 

Anyway, went to the gym last week and done a work out , God I missed those awesome feeling aches I had for days afterwards.   Im a fitish bloke still playing footie active and healthy and I want to give training one last bash.   

As I hope you can appreciate I'm no 20 year old with the world being their oyster and Im going to have a little assistance in my training. 

Being out of the game for so long and the way things move on so fast I thought I would ask advice.

Yes I know how to train and eat  it's the medical scinence side of things I need help on.

In your opinion taking my age into consideration would taking 

50mg of anavar E/d for 10 weeks do any harm, I'm only looking for a few lbs lean muscle upper body. 

All my contacts have gone so no idea what's hot and not.

Thanks for reading.

bundi likes this

Well you'll be better off taking it than not taking it, if I was gonna run an oral only cycle I'd do dbol or oxy though as anavar is very mild. 

Injecting test will be your best option, as everyone will say, particularly in your forties you'll feel the benefit more with increased libido etc. 

Sasnak, Old timer and bundi like this

Im 47 later this year and I can tell you straight up inject testosterone 300-500mg a week is your best option here mate.

At our age our natural test levels are low and taking an oral will shut down any natural you have anyway.

Possibly ask your doctor about TRT ?

1 hour ago, Old timer said:

Been out of the game for 5 +years now, it's always been on my mind (don't think it will ever go) but didn't have the 100% commitment. 

Anyway, went to the gym last week and done a work out , God I missed those awesome feeling aches I had for days afterwards.   Im a fitish bloke still playing footie active and healthy and I want to give training one last bash.   

As I hope you can appreciate I'm no 20 year old with the world being their oyster and Im going to have a little assistance in my training. 

Being out of the game for so long and the way things move on so fast I thought I would ask advice.

Yes I know how to train and eat  it's the medical scinence side of things I need help on.

50mg of anavar E/d for 10 weeks do any harm, I'm only looking for a few lbs lean muscle upper body. 

Thanks for reading.

Get back in to training first

It's been a week. Why take drugs now you may not stick it and be out for another 5 years.

PEDs are pointless without commitment 

Old timer, Sasnak, big vin and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, simonboyle said:

Get back in to training first

It's been a week. Why take drugs now you may not stick it and be out for another 5 years.

PEDs are pointless without commitment 

Agree, can look at this down the road. Way to early.

No reason you can't get up to a very decent of fitness and body shape naturally. I not far behind you. At the start, 10mins are you knackered but every session, you will improve. Protein and creatine, possibly L-Gluatmine will help lots. All cheap and perfectly safe 

Old timer and simonboyle like this

But there is more to this than just training though. In your 40s your test is going to be low anyway so even if you were to only go to the gym once per week you would feel better on test not just in a bodybuilding perspective but in a general health perspective too. I would look at 150 to 200 mg per week of test and see if you are bought back to life.... I'm 47 btw 

Old timer and 2004mark like this

I am in my 40's I blast and cruise,,  I cruise at between 125-175mg a week I feel better at the 175mg.   I am currently cutting and its currently been the easiest and most successful cut to date, even  when I was in my 20's.  I have retained a large amount of muscle from the last blast and steady losing 1.5lbs of fat a week.

Old timer, Sasnak and 2004mark like this

Gotta say I agree with the lower doses of test being recommended. I know 500 mg isn't a massive dose, but it's enough to cause high bp, acne etc... 150-200mg a week would be plenty to get started with and far less problomatic if you wanted to run it longer than the standard 12 weeks.

Might be worth having a quick medicheck blood test to see exactly where you are with your natural test first though... only costs something like £40 so I hear.

Sasnak and Old timer like this

4 hours ago, DavePT said:

But there is more to this than just training though. In your 40s your test is going to be low anyway so even if you were to only go to the gym once per week you would feel better on test not just in a bodybuilding perspective but in a general health perspective too. I would look at 150 to 200 mg per week of test and see if you are bought back to life.... I'm 47 btw 

No it isn't. Get it tested.

Just assuming that you are 40 and have low test is silly.

Test levels increase with training too, regardless of age.

monkeybiker and Sasnak like this

1 hour ago, simonboyle said:

No it isn't. Get it tested.

Just assuming that you are 40 and have low test is silly.

Test levels increase with training too, regardless of age.

What you think a guy in his 40's is going to have the test of a younger guy?

He will have the test of a 47 year old guy nothing more

^that can vary a lot from person to person though. I wouldn't advocate op getting base levels, I'd advocate everyone doing it. If you know your natural levels before you dive in it will help enormously if there is a problem and when you come off 

simonboyle likes this

21 minutes ago, DavePT said:

What you think a guy in his 40's is going to have the test of a younger guy?

He will have the test of a 47 year old guy nothing more

Test levels increase with exercise. Established verifiable fact.

There is no "level of a 47 year old guy"

That's a ridiculous concept.

Are all 47 year old guys going to have exactly the same number? No!

Can this number be increased througj training and diet? Yes!

And unless he gets his levels checked it is a redundant point.

Sasnak likes this

2 minutes ago, simonboyle said:

Test levels increase with exercise. Established verifiable fact.

There is no "level of a 47 year old guy"

That's a ridiculous concept.

Are all 47 year old guys going to have exactly the same number? No!

Can this number be increased througj training and diet? Yes!

And unless he gets his levels checked it is a redundant point.

I can't see where I said all 47 year olds will have the same test level? Yes we all know exercise can increase free test levels. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't get tested but if you want to remain young and feel good then test is the way forward in your 40s 

8 minutes ago, DavePT said:

I can't see where I said all 47 year olds will have the same test level? Yes we all know exercise can increase free test levels. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't get tested but if you want to remain young and feel good then test is the way forward in your 40s 

I'm 37.

Where does the line get drawn? A fit man in his 40s will have a better reading than most I know in their 20s. Due to diet habits and lack of exercise.

Just stating that he should get on drugs for the rest of his life is silly.

You stated it by saying "he'll have the levels of a 47 year old" which you can scroll up and read for yourself. In your post.

18 hours ago, Old timer said:

Thanks for reading.

Go with test only cycle mate. 500mg is fine, I see absolutely no reason why I see people advising you to do less, especially when these same people would most likely advise someone in their 20s to run 500mg for a first cycle. 

You're older than me, but not by a massive amount. I feel certain people on this thread think you might be physically incapable of running 500mg test or maybe even not smart enough to know where and when you want to jump back on the juice lol. Possibly over 40 so geriatric, who knows lol.

Do what you feel mate. Back in the gym for a week or a month and want to try aas again? Fuckin go for it man.

But get some test in ya and leave the anavar to the girlies and the pretty boys with the floppy hair and skin tight jeans lol.

GeordieOak70 likes this

24 minutes ago, stuey99 said:

Go with test only cycle mate. 500mg is fine, I see absolutely no reason why I see people advising you to do less, especially when these same people would most likely advise someone in their 20s to run 500mg for a first cycle. 

You're older than me, but not by a massive amount. I feel certain people on this thread think you might be physically incapable of running 500mg test or maybe even not smart enough to know where and when you want to jump back on the juice lol. Possibly over 40 so geriatric, who knows lol.

Do what you feel mate. Back in the gym for a week or a month and want to try aas again? Fuckin go for it man.

But get some test in ya and leave the anavar to the girlies and the pretty boys with the floppy hair and skin tight jeans lol.

No. You assume wrong.

It's the fact that 500mg of test seems to be the cookie cutter cycle for anyone.

Are you ignoring that the guy was contemplating a course of var? Or the bit where he expressed concern about his age not being 20 any more? This all says to me he's looking for a little step up, not looking to step on stage this time next year.

500mg of test would blow var out the water... as it would the natty test levels of a teenager. It's simply not like for like.

I was training with a lad almost 20 years younger who had high bp and a nasty case of cystic acne from 1st cycle of 500mg. Not devastating, but why even risk it when it's not needed.

As for you seeing absolutely no reason why people are advising him to do less... my suggestion is based upon the fact it sounds to me like it would reap more than the results expected and the cycle can be extended way past what the norm for a bigger cycle would be... nothing to do with age.

simonboyle and JohhnyC like this

6 minutes ago, 2004mark said:

No. You assume wrong.

It's the fact that 500mg of test seems to be the cookie cutter cycle for anyone.

Are you ignoring that the guy was contemplating a course of var? Or the bit where he expressed concern about his age not being 20 any more? This all says to me he's looking for a little step up, not looking to step on stage this time next year.

500mg of test would blow var out the water... as it would the natty test levels of a teenager. It's simply not like for like.

I was training with a lad almost 20 years younger who had high bp and a nasty case of cystic acne from 1st cycle of 500mg. Not devastating, but why even risk it when it's not needed.

As for you seeing absolutely no reason why people are advising him to do less... my suggestion is based upon the fact it sounds to me like it would reap more than the results expected and the cycle can be extended way past what the norm for a bigger cycle would be... nothing to do with age.

I've just never seen anyone advise 150-200mg test for a cycle before. I've advised 250, but I see no reason for basically advising a trt dose other than his age. 

So I'm assuming you'd advise 150-200 for a 25 year old then? 

49 minutes ago, stuey99 said:

I've just never seen anyone advise 150-200mg test for a cycle before. I've advised 250, but I see no reason for basically advising a trt dose other than his age. 

So I'm assuming you'd advise 150-200 for a 25 year old then? 

So why not recommend 250mg in this instance? Seems much more akin to what the OP is looking for.

Again, my advice to run a smaller cycle is entirely based upon the fact it seems more inline with what the OP was looking for; he's been out of training for a prolonged period and most importantly it can be ran much longer (if not indefinitely if wanted). The tortoise always beats the hare remember :P

Reason why I probably wouldn't recommend a dose quite that low to a 25 year old is I wouldn't say that running test for long periods of time is ideal if fertility down the line is a concern.

simonboyle and DavePT like this

47 is NOT old. I started at 42 with sust 250mg/wk and 400mg/wk deca and used pretty high doses and harsher products on later cycles with no issues. Now, based on what I've learned by "experiment" (it's all experimental, right?),  I suggest test, eq, var. That's a good slow quality gainer, not particularly harsh if you are not impatient with limited estrogen and water retention issues. This is a point because older men typically have increased estrogen naturally. Test e or c 300-500mg/wk, eq 400-60mg/wk, var 50mg/day. Run that 12 to 16 weeks and you'll be a happy old dawg. You could use tbol instead of var for 2 reasons. It suppresses SHBG which means more free test and it's cheaper then var. But then again, you need more tbol than var so it nearly evens out costwise.

14 hours ago, 2004mark said:

Reason why I probably wouldn't recommend a dose quite that low to a 25 year old is I wouldn't say that running test for long periods of time is ideal if fertility down the line is a concern.

Mate, so you ARE recommending a lower dose because of his age then lol. I see no reason to argue about it...if you wouldn't recommend 150-200 for a 20 something but you would to the op. 

This is a trt test dose, not a cycle. 

I'm 45 this year, currently 500 test E and 400 Deca wk.

Cruise at 125 - 300 Test E. 

Probably the best thing for the older lifter is HGH and Test. 

I'm into my 3rd year after a long 10 year lay off, the 1st year I started back, I did't feel like I gained at all just lost weight and toned, the second year I did sh1t loads of gear (£2000) and made more progress than ever before. 

This year I have calmed off after an 'Experience' with over a gram of tren a wk.

I would personally look at your diet and training, if funds run to it maybe get a personal trainer and just give 100%, see how you progress.

You can always add assisted supplements in later.

simonboyle and Sasnak like this

1 hour ago, stuey99 said:

Mate, so you ARE recommending a lower dose because of his age then lol. I see no reason to argue about it...if you wouldn't recommend 150-200 for a 20 something but you would to the op. 

This is a trt test dose, not a cycle. 

Missing the point totally and only quoting half ny post.

Let me make this clear. It's nothing to do with me thinking someone that age should steer away from larger doses.

You also conveniently ignored my question.

simonboyle likes this