Taronp9

New nutritionist

30 posts in this topic

I'm planning to start a 'diet' in a couple of weeks and I've never done dieting or meal planning before so looking for help and advice. I'm 5'10 and 175lb my aim is to put on a stone of muscle through healthy eating and eating the right things for me. I used the calculator to work out how many kcal are needed and macros. It's said I should consume 2745kcal carbs-406g protein-243g fats72g does this sound right to you guys? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The calculators are just estimates and a stone of muscle will take some amount of time if you are natural, start at that amount of cals and if it doesn't do anything after a few weeks up it slightly untill you are slowly gaining, macro wise just hit your protein and make sure you get enough carbs to full your workouts, I would download myfitnesspal and record everything

Ultrasonic and OPTIGURA UK like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Taronp9 said:

I'm 5'10 and 175lb my aim is to put on a stone of muscle through healthy eating and eating the right things for me.

 

And weight training I hope? A stone of muscle is a huge amount BTW!

 

Charlee Scene and Jon.B like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw your other post with more info...

My guess is that 2745 kcal will be on the low side for you. As you say you aren't starting this yet what I'd encourage you to do is to track your current diet for a couple of weeks in Myfitnesspal. Eat as normally as you can and record all you eat and drink. This will then give you a baseline to make changes from.

The macro figures in your post don't match the calorie total though - they'd give you 3244 kcal. (Carbs and protein are 4 kcal per g, and fat is 9 kcal per g.)

Taronp9 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charlee Scene said:

The calculators are just estimates and a stone of muscle will take some amount of time if you are natural, start at that amount of cals and if it doesn't do anything after a few weeks up it slightly untill you are slowly gaining, macro wise just hit your protein and make sure you get enough carbs to full your workouts, I would download myfitnesspal and record everything

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Il keep an eye on my kcal and see what happens and go from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

And weight training I hope? A stone of muscle is a huge amount BTW!

 

That's why I've become a member on this forum. For a wake up call like this. So a stone of muscle is a lot. Can I put a stone on of good muscle/fat without me looking/becoming fat? I can't do any steroids or anything like that because we get drug tested so natural is the only way. I'm determined to go down the diet route as long as I know (through you guys) that I'm doing it right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

Just saw your other post with more info...

My guess is that 2745 kcal will be on the low side for you. As you say you aren't starting this yet what I'd encourage you to do is to track your current diet for a couple of weeks in Myfitnesspal. Eat as normally as you can and record all you eat and drink. This will then give you a baseline to make changes from.

The macro figures in your post don't match the calorie total though - they'd give you 3244 kcal. (Carbs and protein are 4 kcal per g, and fat is 9 kcal per g.)

What kcal would you suggest and what macro figures should I be aiming for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Taronp9 said:

What kcal would you suggest and what macro figures should I be aiming for? 

Follow my advice above about tracking your current diet and post back...

Macros in the region of 0.8g of protein per lb bodyweight, 25% of calories from fat and the rest from carbs is a sensible starting point.

There's no real point having a target muscle weight gain in mind. Train hard and eat appropriately and what will be will be. Target weight gain figures pretty much always result in people gaining unnecessary body fat in my experience.

 

 

Taronp9 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

Follow my advice above about tracking your current diet and post back...

Macros in the region of 0.8g of protein per lb bodyweight, 25% of calories from fat and the rest from carbs is a sensible starting point.

There's no real point having a target muscle weight gain in mind. Train hard and eat appropriately and what will be will be. Target weight gain figures pretty much always result in people gaining unnecessary body fat in my experience.

 

 

I've got the app now so il track what I eat from now on. I've never watched what I eat but I don't eat rubbish everyday the misses is a pretty good cook? As for protein then I should consume 140g. Is that right? I'm struggling to understand the % of fat and carbs? Is there anyway to break it down? Sorry to sound so simple but ive never really understood dieting and numbers combined as like I said I haven't watched what I eat. But really appreciate the feedback??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Taronp9 said:

I've got the app now so il track what I eat from now on. I've never watched what I eat but I don't eat rubbish everyday the misses is a pretty good cook? As for protein then I should consume 140g. Is that right? I'm struggling to understand the % of fat and carbs? Is there anyway to break it down? Sorry to sound so simple but ive never really understood dieting and numbers combined as like I said I haven't watched what I eat. But really appreciate the feedback??

Do the tracking for a couple of weeks then post back, and I'll help you out then. The simple act of tracking will in itself start to increase your understanding of where your calories come from, and if you want it will also show you the percentage of calories you get from fat, carbs and protein. For right now the most important thing is to start to work out the right calorie intake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Taronp9 said:

So by this it should take me 7months to put a stone on.? And just maintain it after?

It can vary wildly between individuals. There are huge numbers of people for whom gaining a stone of muscle in 7 months would be a dream result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

Do the tracking for a couple of weeks then post back, and I'll help you out then. The simple act of tracking will in itself start to increase your understanding of where your calories come from, and if you want it will also show you the percentage of calories you get from fat, carbs and protein. For right now the most important thing is to start to work out the right calorie intake.

Cheers mate really helpful info and will see how the next two weeks go without changing anything. Il do some research now on the right gym excersises to do and also wether an hour in the morning 5xs a week is long enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was my progression in the first 6 months of joining this site (Oct 10 - Apr 11).

All I did was follow mfp cal recommendation for gaining 2lbs per week... then upped it a bit more myself manually. Probably circa 200g of protein a day and a four day split. Didn't worry about macro split particularly... just got the required cals down me.

Think weight went from about 10st8lbs to about 14st.

This was natural, but I would add I'd been upto about 13st 6lbs on the past so there was an element of muscle memory.

Think it goes to show though that there isn't a magic key... it's just pure and utter consistency (day in day out for 6 months solid).

progress.jpg

Ultrasonic and Taronp9 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2004mark said:

This was my progression in the first 6 months of joining this site (Oct 10 - Apr 11).

All I did was follow mfp cal recommendation for gaining 2lbs per week... then upped it a bit more myself manually. Probably circa 200g of protein a day and a four day split. Didn't worry about macro split particularly... just got the required cals down me.

Think weight went from about 10st8lbs to about 14st.

This was natural, but I would add I'd been upto about 13st 6lbs on the past so there was an element of muscle memory.

Think it goes to show though that there isn't a magic key... it's just pure and utter consistency (day in day out for 6 months solid).

progress.jpg

Thanks pal. What do you mean by a four day split? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Taronp9 said:

Thanks pal. What do you mean by a four day split? 

As in training... splitting full body into 4 sessions... back, chest, legs, shoulders.

Not saying that's what you should do, just suited me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 2004mark said:

As in training... splitting full body into 4 sessions... back, chest, legs, shoulders.

Not saying that's what you should do, just suited me.

Ah I know what you mean now!! Is that good way to start off for me? And could you possibly squeeze the session in to an hour? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Taronp9 said:

Ah I know what you mean now!! Is that good way to start off for me? And could you possibly squeeze the session in to an hour? 

It's just what felt right to me. You might like it you might not. There's many more variables just as influential like exercise selection, amount of exercises, sets, reps etc. So there's nothing to say your 4 day split would be anything like mine.

My sessions would be between 35-50 min usually.

At the moment I'm doing half body workouts as I can't get to the gym 4-5 times a week, so sessions are more like 50-70min. I don't enjoy it as much, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Taronp9 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2017 at 2:36 PM, 2004mark said:

This was my progression in the first 6 months of joining this site (Oct 10 - Apr 11).

All I did was follow mfp cal recommendation for gaining 2lbs per week... then upped it a bit more myself manually. Probably circa 200g of protein a day and a four day split. Didn't worry about macro split particularly... just got the required cals down me.

Think weight went from about 10st8lbs to about 14st.

This was natural, but I would add I'd been upto about 13st 6lbs on the past so there was an element of muscle memory.

Think it goes to show though that there isn't a magic key... it's just pure and utter consistency (day in day out for 6 months solid).

progress.jpg

How long was it since you took the picture you have for your profile ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SimpleLimit said:

How long was it since you took the picture you have for your profile ?

Not sure. Maybe a year later... only had 2 profile pics on here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2017 at 8:20 PM, Sparkey said:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-how-much-muscle-can-i-put-on-naturally.html

Generally these things as a bit 'take it with a pinch of salt'  but the gains do definitely get less over the years.

 

Noname.jpg

indeed and after a few years you are done nearly for life, ups and down but basically you reach your max around the 5  / 6 mark, depending on your age and then its maintenance forever

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 2004mark said:

It's just what felt right to me. You might like it you might not. There's many more variables just as influential like exercise selection, amount of exercises, sets, reps etc. So there's nothing to say your 4 day split would be anything like mine.

My sessions would be between 35-50 min usually.

At the moment I'm doing half body workouts as I can't get to the gym 4-5 times a week, so sessions are more like 50-70min. I don't enjoy it as much, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

As he said ^^, I spend years and years doing long long gym sessions (1.5hours). Eventually I just got hacked off with it because I was getting nowhere, so lost interest, dropped half the supplements I was taking, cut training right back, stopped reading piles of bro science and cut sessions back to 45mins. Biggest surprised of many training life, I broke through a plateau quick fairly quickly

 

 

Taronp9 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Taronp9 said:

Ah I know what you mean now!! Is that good way to start off for me? And could you possibly squeeze the session in to an hour? 

You may find an ULUL works well for now, this is what I am doing at the moment as I have been away for a few months. With a 4 day split you can get it more welly so to speak but with ULUL you have the advantage of frequency. Both work perfectly well in my view but bear in mind it seems to be the accepted view that higher frequency is better for muscle gain on this site, i.e. twice a week training etc. Few articles posted recently about it . I personally disagree as I have tried both ways many many times and one definitively trumps the other

Either way, all sessions can be done in a hour 

Taronp9 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming ULUL mean upper, legs? Any advice at the the minute on training is good advice for me being a novice with it all. I've read a few articles about higher frequency and know what you mean. I know everyone is different but it's a foundation for me to start with and il review in the future. Thanks for the feedback appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now