Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fadi65

Creating the worst condition for training...on purpose!

1 post in this topic

This thread may be one of a kind, however I believe some of you may find some real benefit herein. My topic today deals with the creation of the most un-ideal situation/condition you most likely would not find yourself in...,not on purpose anyway.

This is about training on full stomach when you can not stomach anything in there. This is about training on empty stomach when you can not but have something in there. This is about training with no mirrors  or music if that's what you've come to rely on to push you through. OK, the message is amply clear I'm sure we can agree on that. So let us move on.

So why on earth would a sane bodybuilder/or a strength athlete want to put himself in such an uncomfortable situation...,on purpose? Because it's the only true and productive way that will force your mind to adjust and gain experience in dealing with such unfavourable conditions. In my opinion, we like to cling to our comfort zone way too often and way too much.

It's time to let go for a bit...

I have not researched this topic on the net or read a book about the psychology of what I'm sharing with you here. However I am basing it on my own experience as well as the experience of former world weightlifting champions from the eastern block.

My past is known on some Australian bodybuilding forums. However for the benefit of  this forum; I began my Olympic weightlifting journey back in 1980, and by 1982, I was offered a weightlifting scholarship at the AIS (the Australian Institute of Sport) in Canberra. The reason I'm mentioning this here is not to blow my own horn, as I've really got nothing to prove these days except to my own-self.  At the AIS, we were visited by many international athletes, including some from your mighty country Great Britain. At the AIS (at least back then in the 80s), you'd find all the frills an athlete would wish for. From your own medical doctor, masseurs, nutritionist, sport psychologist..., and the list goes on, all were there to serve you and ensure you perform at an optimal level. However in addition to all of that (if that wasn't really enough), these professionals were there to ultimately make my job of lifting the heavies safer; more productive, and most of all...comfortable.

However all the above benefits come crashing down on you when you visit other places around the world that do not offer such "comforts". Try lifting on bent weightlifting bars; rusty bars, try lifting on broken, smaller than usual weightlifting platforms. Try drinking water you can't stomach or food you can't eat. Try falling ill and expected to lift at your best. Try ripped hands lifting on the roughest bars in the world.

On this and other forums, we're all striving to gain some edge, be it through taking some supplement or some diet that's low in carb or high in fat, or by employing program X, Y, or Z into our training. The $64,000 question is: how well have you conditioned your mind to deal with the unforeseen and unexpected and still perform at your ultimate best and sometimes beyond?

Thank you for your time.