smallboy

Your preferred gaining muscle rep range

Your preferred gaining muscle rep range   7 members have voted

1. 1. Your preferred gaining muscle rep range

• First set 12 reps for progressive overload, then next sets any reps you can hit max until total 40 reps. 3 mins rest between set
    • standard 5x5 with 3-5 mins rest between set.
    • Waterbury's 10x3. 1 min rest between set.
    • 3x8 or 3x10 or 4x10 RPT

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 posts in this topic

Sets 3-5 reps for anywhere between 4 and 8 sets I prefer personally, no idea what the f**k waterbury's is though. 

My prefered is one heavy working set to about 4-8 reps for the majority of movements (after a couple of warmup sets). Maybe with a dropset after.

Not saying that it's the best method, just my prefered one as that's what I enjoy it the most (although you could argue that you're more likely to make better gains on doing what you enjoy as you're more likely to stick to it)

Edit: 10,000 posts :beer:

Doing only say 8-12 reps or less will only develop some of the fibres. Anyone who wants to primarily get big needs to mix it up doing anything from 5 reps to 30 reps per set. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:02 AM, smallboy said:

Your preferred gaining muscle rep range

When all is said and done, it's not (strictly) about a particular rep range as it is about applied effort. Allow me to "demonstrate".

Please grab yourself a d/bell and curl it up to a level of 90 degree angle..., parallel with the floor if you like. Now hold it there. Mmm, I see you're beginning to shake slightly..., now your face is getting slightly more red..., even your breathing and heart rate have slightly increased. But hey wait a minute mate! What exactly is going on here deep within my arm flexors (that's your arm from wrist to biceps)? We have not increased the weight, and everyone knows that we most definitely have not even done a single full rep (let alone applied some rep range) to our isometric hold of the d/bell. So what gives? Effort, your effort, that's what. Your effort has increased over time. Big deal mate so what! So this ought to prove to you that effort above all else is what really matters.

Sure I can discuss with you different rep ranges all the way from 2 to 20 and beyond. However I thought it'll be more beneficial I should have you look outside the box instead.

Cheers,

Fadi.

5 hours ago, Fadi65 said:

When all is said and done, it's not (strictly) about a particular rep range as it is about applied effort. Allow me to "demonstrate".

Please grab yourself a d/bell and curl it up to a level of 90 degree angle..., parallel with the floor if you like. Now hold it there. Mmm, I see you're beginning to shake slightly..., now your face is getting slightly more red..., even your breathing and heart rate have slightly increased. But hey wait a minute mate! What exactly is going on here deep within my arm flexors (that's your arm from wrist to biceps)? We have not increased the weight, and everyone knows that we most definitely have not even done a single full rep (let alone applied some rep range) to our isometric hold of the d/bell. So what gives? Effort, your effort, that's what. Your effort has increased over time. Big deal mate so what! So this ought to prove to you that effort above all else is what really matters.

Sure I can discuss with you different rep ranges all the way from 2 to 20 and beyond. However I thought it'll be more beneficial I should have you look outside the box instead.

Cheers,

Fadi.

Thx Fadster

Only one of those I ever use is Waterbury's, so I voted that one. My 3 favourites are either 10-8-6 with 2-3 minutes rests; Vince Gironda 6x6; or Yates HIT.