swole troll

Post your best lifts

144 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

Did you film it on a smart phone?  

You need go to youtube and set up an account. If the video is on your phone your can select the share option and select youtube. Google it or go on youtube and look for a video on how to put a video on youtube.

I did mate yes.

Sounds like a s**t ton of effort for something that's only gonna end up with me looking a tit.

Not sure I want to put myself in the firing line of ridicule for not being able to lift such a relatively light weight.

After all. I'm not claiming to be able to do something! I've already said I failed miserably haha.

3 minutes ago, Donny dog said:

I did mate yes.

Sounds like a s**t ton of effort for something that's only gonna end up with me looking a tit.

Not sure I want to put myself in the firing line of ridicule for not being able to lift such a relatively light weight.

After all. I'm not claiming to be able to do something! I've already said I failed miserably haha.

Why would you look like a tit?

I've yet to meet a perfect person.

Quackerz likes this

4 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

Why would you look like a tit?

I've yet to meet a perfect person.

Because I get to the bottom of the rep, attempt to throw it back up and I can't even get my arms past parallel.

Its not even a half decent effort where I look to be anywhere close to it.

Trust me, I look a tit. HA.

monkeybiker likes this

19 minutes ago, Donny dog said:

I did mate yes.

It's simply for the benefit, if you can get a video up people can give you technical advice they would not be able to do otherwise. No ones going to take the piss as everyone has always struggled with technique on at least one lift IMO, it's a learning curve.  

20 minutes ago, Donny dog said:

Set up needs work. You slid along the bench as you were unracking. You need to be solid.

Others can advise better as my set up is far from perfect.

Another thing to consider is do not do 1 rep maxes too often. Rep work is how you build the strength. 

3 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

Set up needs work. You slid along the bench as you were unracking. You need to be solid.

Others can advise better as my set up is far from perfect.

Another thing to consider is do not do 1 rep maxes too often. Rep work is how you build the strength. 

I know mate but the pins on the bench are at weird angles. If I didn't slide alone the bench I'd end up lowering the bar to my midriff and flaring my elbows out way too far to engage my pecs. 

That was my first ever attempt at 100kg and I attempted that after my first ever completion of 5x5 @ 75kg so I know I had very very little in the tank when I made the attempt. 

But thanks for not just pissing yourself with laughter anyway. Well, keeping it to yourself if you did haha.

1 minute ago, Donny dog said:

I know mate but the pins on the bench are at weird angles. If I didn't slide alone the bench I'd end up lowering the bar to my midriff and flaring my elbows out way too far to engage my pecs. 

That was my first ever attempt at 100kg and I attempted that after my first ever completion of 5x5 @ 75kg so I know I had very very little in the tank when I made the attempt. 

But thanks for not just pissing yourself with laughter anyway. Well, keeping it to yourself if you did haha.

Get someone to help unrack the bar.

40 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

Get someone to help unrack the bar.

I train on my own bud.

Doubt anyone would be too impressed with me asking them to help me unrack the bar every set.

1 hour ago, Donny dog said:

* doesnt look like you have your scapula retracted, pinch your shoulder blades together and pull them down

imagining youre holding a pencil between them and then pull them down toward your ass pockets and hold it in that position throughout the full ROM.

* your feet are too close together and loosely placed, if you are going to have your feet that close together you want them tucked right up under the bench to help with your arch, you may find going up on your toes is comfortable if you like having your feet that close

if you find you are unstable then widen them out but plant them firmly and you want to be pushing the ground away from you whilst keeping your feet firmly on the ground, easiest way i can describe it is imagine you are trying to slide a rug away from you by pushing it with the soles of your feet.

* youre benching all arms and front delts, work on getting your arch well set up, doesnt need to be a massive arch but you want to be digging your traps into the bench and the only other point of contact to be your glutes

just getting into this position with the scapula retracted will engage your pecs a lot more, tuck your elbows in like you are trying to snap the bar like a twig as you descend and your back will also engage creating a more stable base to bench off.

i know that's a lot of points but to put it simply you just need to be tighter, youre benching all in your front delts and arms and your legs are lifeless, work on a tighter set up following the above points and you'll blast through the 100kg 

for a detailed tutorial youtube "matt wenning so you think you can bench" and watch the full series

Quackerz, monkeybiker and Donny dog like this

8 hours ago, swole troll said:

* doesnt look like you have your scapula retracted, pinch your shoulder blades together and pull them down

imagining youre holding a pencil between them and then pull them down toward your ass pockets and hold it in that position throughout the full ROM.

* your feet are too close together and loosely placed, if you are going to have your feet that close together you want them tucked right up under the bench to help with your arch, you may find going up on your toes is comfortable if you like having your feet that close

if you find you are unstable then widen them out but plant them firmly and you want to be pushing the ground away from you whilst keeping your feet firmly on the ground, easiest way i can describe it is imagine you are trying to slide a rug away from you by pushing it with the soles of your feet.

* youre benching all arms and front delts, work on getting your arch well set up, doesnt need to be a massive arch but you want to be digging your traps into the bench and the only other point of contact to be your glutes

just getting into this position with the scapula retracted will engage your pecs a lot more, tuck your elbows in like you are trying to snap the bar like a twig as you descend and your back will also engage creating a more stable base to bench off.

i know that's a lot of points but to put it simply you just need to be tighter, youre benching all in your front delts and arms and your legs are lifeless, work on a tighter set up following the above points and you'll blast through the 100kg 

for a detailed tutorial youtube "matt wenning so you think you can bench" and watch the full series

Excellent mate.

I know my feet are close together there but usually when I'm into my position they are pretty stable.

But thanks for the pointers.

12 hours ago, Donny dog said:

This is wrong at every level.

1. no spotters.

2. weight too heavy.

3. rushed into lift.

4. weight lowered too fast.

5. back to basics.

6. No pre lift set up.

Well done for posting the video.

You MUST go back to basics and lower the entire weight and start from scratch. This is dangerous and if abused the Bench press can kill you or break ribs, all sorts of issues can occur.

Sorry pal, this is not meant to make you feel s**t but I would rather warn you than you be crushed by the weight breaking a rib.

12 hours ago, Donny dog said:

Don't worry about the weight on the bar. Strip it right back to 5kg a side and work on getting some rep work in with good form.

Get your back nice and tight, imagine while lying there you are trying to tuck your shoulder blades into your back pockets.

When you lower the bar onto your chest imagine there is a sheet of paper on there and your goal is to touch the bar on your chest without creasing the paper.

Feet slightly wider apart, think of them being there for support to stop you tipping either way - a triangle formed with both feet and your head.

Once you're nailing form and managing to hit 5 reps easily then start adding a bit more weight, get the technique nailed down first though and the strength will follow in time :)

karbonk likes this

2 hours ago, karbonk said:

This is wrong at every level.

1. no spotters.

2. weight too heavy.

3. rushed into lift.

4. weight lowered too fast.

5. back to basics.

6. No pre lift set up.

Well done for posting the video.

You MUST go back to basics and lower the entire weight and start from scratch. This is dangerous and if abused the Bench press can kill you or break ribs, all sorts of issues can occur.

Sorry pal, this is not meant to make you feel s**t but I would rather warn you than you be crushed by the weight breaking a rib.

The weight was far too heavy in hindsight.

But I'm not a fool, I don't have any ego issues when I train and I can assure you that I usually try and train with a weight that allows me to execute the movement with good form. Regardless of the exercise I'm doing.

Thanks for the advice though and I'll be sure to bear it in mind next time I bench.

I'll probably drop down to something like 4 sets of 8 at 65 next bench session so I can concentrate fully on what you have mentioned.

karbonk likes this

1 hour ago, Donny dog said:

The weight was far too heavy in hindsight.

But I'm not a fool, I don't have any ego issues when I train and I can assure you that I usually try and train with a weight that allows me to execute the movement with good form. Regardless of the exercise I'm doing.

Thanks for the advice though and I'll be sure to bear it in mind next time I bench.

I'll probably drop down to something like 4 sets of 8 at 65 next bench session so I can concentrate fully on what you have mentioned.

Thanks for not taking it personal man, at least you are trying, some folk don't bother their asses to do anything, yes I know your no fool and you have the right idea about dropping down the weight and sticking to reps you can handle, if going for a 1, 2, or 3 RM you must use spotters or safety rails, even if the weight does not damage you, can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to worm your way out of weights stuck on your chest/gut. lol.

You did the right thing posting up the video, now we can help you better and prevent you from injury.

Donny dog likes this

16 hours ago, Donny dog said:

I train on my own bud.

Doubt anyone would be too impressed with me asking them to help me unrack the bar every set.

I see what you mean about the bench being sloped. Do people who design these benches not actually lift themselves:confused1: Like they design them to look pretty.

Your not going to get into a solid pressing position if you need to move about on the bench after unracking. For 1 rep max attempt you really are best to have a spotter. I've asked people many times for a spot and they are fine with it.

Donny dog and karbonk like this

2 hours ago, karbonk said:

Thanks for not taking it personal man, at least you are trying, some folk don't bother their asses to do anything, yes I know your no fool and you have the right idea about dropping down the weight and sticking to reps you can handle, if going for a 1, 2, or 3 RM you must use spotters or safety rails, even if the weight does not damage you, can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to worm your way out of weights stuck on your chest/gut. lol.

You did the right thing posting up the video, now we can help you better and prevent you from injury.

No offence taken at all pal. I appreciate the help.

Haha as it goes the random I asked to film the lift had to drop my phone and him and some other geezer had to lift the bar off me as I was having to roll it off me.

Fit blonde behind me pissing her knickers with laughter!!

Not a good look ha.

karbonk likes this

14 minutes ago, Donny dog said:

No offence taken at all pal. I appreciate the help.

Haha as it goes the random I asked to film the lift had to drop my phone and him and some other geezer had to lift the bar off me as I was having to roll it off me.

Fit blonde behind me pissing her knickers with laughter!!

Not a good look ha.

haha, Quality, at least you have a sense of humour, should have followed it up by asking her Mobile number, she would be pissing her self then lol.

Joking aside you have got a good amount of advice now from different folks and now you can start again.

Best way is to record your lifts, (I bought  tripod recently on ebay for £7) and then get us or someone with experience to guide you.

You have broken the ice and had a laugh but at least you have not broken bones, muscles or tendons, I commend your sense of humour but now the serious approach to benching begins. lol   

swole troll and Donny dog like this