big vin

protein powders

26 posts in this topic

How many of you use protein powders whey etc.  , Do any of you not use them are they really necessary , anyone use them for a while then stopped using them noticed any difference ? 

i prefer 10% fat beef patties or chicken breast, though sometimes I do feel like having some almond milk and a mix of whey/casein.  Protein is protein (unless you buy those cheap garbage off of your local gnc and are eating 70% taurine).

The thing is if I eat meat, it feels incomplete without a side, but 400ml of almond milk and 1.5 scoops is only 200 calories and feels complete, at least as an in-betweener or something to take before sleeping.

I'm not hitting 300g protein a day without some whey, too much effort for probably negligible differences to getting all protein from "real food"

0161M likes this

1 minute ago, Ross1991 said:

I'm not hitting 300g protein a day without some whey, too much effort for probably negligible differences to getting all protein from "real food"

How much protein do you need for your bodyweight ?

I use one with a very high amount of protein and carbs in it per serving , alongside an apple and some nuts for breakfast ,because I can't be arrsed to cook breakfast half awake. Simple convenience. Food is better , if I had a wife  to cook breakfast for me, I wouldn't even bother with them. 

1 hour ago, Ross1991 said:

I'm still trying to learn all this, I don't use powders as I've been told try eat good clean whole foods. So I'm eating min 450g chicken max 600g a day then some milk on top. 

How do do I know exctally how much protein I need to grow? How did you work out 300g? I assume you can utilise more on steroids but say me 15 stone little muscle how much protein is enough to grow? 

@Mingster @Ultrasonic any advise men? 

I use infrequently, less than once a month.

Ive taken to pasta shells and tuna mayo. Now back down to pre-xmas weight after the holidays and getting the shits and chest infection!

4 minutes ago, Tricky said:

I'm still trying to learn all this, I don't use powders as I've been told try eat good clean whole foods. So I'm eating min 450g chicken max 600g a day then some milk on top. 

How do do I know exctally how much protein I need to grow? How did you work out 300g? I assume you can utilise more on steroids but say me 15 stone little muscle how much protein is enough to grow? 

I base mine on 1.5g / pound body weight with being enhanced also. I also need over 5k cals to gain at moment so 1.5g is definitely the upper end of what's usually advised so I might as well go along with that than adding to my already 550+ carbs and 180g fat for the calories.

i believe natty is around 0.8-1g? I doubt I'd use more than 1g if I didn't use gear. 

Tricky and Shaneyboy like this

4 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Protein powder is food just like any other. There's no real difference between 50g of protein from powders or 50g of protein from meat, fish or chicken, save the convenience and price.

As to how much you actually need, I'll leave that answer to Ultrasonic. There's plenty of studies that show you really don't need all that much. Personally, I eat lots of protein. Not because I need to, or to grow bigger faster, but because I like protein foods and my diet is largely made up from protein and fats. Having said that, I only have one protein shake a day, for breakfast, and that is simply for convenience. I'd rather have an extra half hour in bed than get up to prepare a food based breakfast.

Whilst diet is an important factor in bodybuilding, enjoying your food is more important still imo.

Tricky likes this

I'm not having any shakes now so just real food I eat 7 meals a day each meal has 40g of protein whether it comes from fish , chicken , eggs or steak that's a lot of food and meals but it only adds up to 210g of protein which apparently according to studies is not enough for my body weight , their I a no way I can get another 3 solid meals  in and I'm not allowed any protein shakes 

Just now, big vin said:

I'm not having any shakes now so just real food I eat 7 meals a day each meal has 40g of protein whether it comes from fish , chicken , eggs or steak that's a lot of food and meals but it only adds up to 210g of protein which apparently according to studies is not enough for my body weight , their I a no way I can get another 3 solid meals  in and I'm not allowed any protein shakes 

7 meals with 40g of protein adds up to 280g Vin.

ausmaz, Ross1991 and Flipper like this

2 minutes ago, Mingster said:

7 meals with 40g of protein adds up to 280g Vin.

Oh yes well spotted ?

Consistently using protein shakes makes a huge difference to my body comp. Diet is average at best, lack the will power to eat well, so for myself protein powder is a god send.

Id pretty much echo what everyone has previously said, price and convenience make a protein shake handy....however i find them more advantageous when 'bulking' ie trying to add more calories in, when im reducing calories i dont bother with them as satiety is a massive issue for me and i cant stand being hungry again 30 mins after having a shake...

Simple answer: no they are not necessary