IIFYM_ALEX

How bad is bitter orange peel in preworkout?

14 posts in this topic

So ive been using the same pre workout for months now, great stuff - Adapt Nutritions PreTrain. But my mate has pointed out that it has orange peel  in the ingredients , and orange peel contains  Synephrine  which is supposedly quite bad for you? Since that ive googled it a bit and it does have some nasty side effects, but how bad really is it ? Does the pre workout contain enough to be of any worry?

the pretrain contains 140mg bitter orange peel per serving.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/475334-side-effects-of-orange-peel-extract/

Orange peel extract is derived from what is known as the Seville orange, bitter orange or Citrus aurantium. Orange peel has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine and in the Amazon as an herbal remedy for indigestion and nausea, according to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Today, it also is used for appetite suppression in weight loss programs, nasal congestion and fungal skin infections. Orange peel extract should be used with caution, however, for side effects are possible.

General Stimulant Effects

Orange peel contains synephrine, which produces stimulant effects similar to those of ephedra, the substance that the Food and Drug Administration banned in weight loss products in 2004. Ephedra was associated with increased risks of stroke and heart attack in customers. Indeed, several of these diet products now contain concentrated extracts of Citrus aurantium for its stimulant properties in the place of ephedra, reports the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Some general stimulant effects you may experience from synephrine are feeling nervous or restless as well as trouble sleeping. If you take a supplement that also contains caffeine, be aware that the stimulant effects may be magnified. Since the extent of orange peel side effects are unknown at this time, speak with your doctor first before trying this substance.

Cardiovascular Risks

Synephrine is associated with cardiovascular system effects that include high blood pressure or hypertension, arrhythmias, that is, irregular heart rhythms, a fast heart rate or tachycardia, and fainting, heart palpitations as well as chest pain, states EMedTv.com. It is imperative that you avoid products containing orange peel extract until you have discussed this with your doctor -- especially if you have a personal or family history of heart disease.

Weakness and Vision Problems

Another potential side effect of orange peel extract is the sensation of significant weakness or paralysis on one side of your body, notes EMedTv.com. This may or may not be accompanied by vision problems. For example, you may find that your vision has become blurred and that you cannot focus clearly. Also, orange theoretically may worsen narrow-angle glaucoma, warns Wellness.com. Finally, seizures also have been associated with orange peel extract, according to EMedTv.com. Get immediate medical care if these symptoms occur.

Headaches and Hyperthyroidism

Synephrine may produce migraine or cluster headaches, notes Wellness.com. Additionally, those with hyperthyroidism should be careful about taking supplements containing orange peel extract, because this substance may aggravate this thyroid condition.

Ischemic Colitis

Ischemic colitis is a serious potential side effect of orange peel, states EMedTV.com. This gastrointestinal condition has the following symptoms: abdominal cramping or pain, severe diarrhea with bloody stools, vomiting, and fever. If you begin to experience any or several of these symptoms, contact your health provider immediately or get emergency medical attention.

Does this mean marmalade is dangerous?

Serious answer - I suspect the amount is too small to do anything much, but if you're worried just stop using it. You don't need a specific pre-workout supplement at all to be honest.

On 12/29/2016 at 2:21 PM, Ultrasonic said:

Does this mean marmalade is dangerous?

Serious answer - I suspect the amount is too small to do anything much, but if you're worried just stop using it. You don't need a specific pre-workout supplement at all to be honest.

i had just bought another 2 tubs of the pre workout then literally day after my mate tells me about the bitter orange peel health risks lol

7 hours ago, IIFYM_ALEX said:

i had just bought another 2 tubs of the pre workout then literally day after my mate tells me about the bitter orange peel health risks lol

Don't s**t the bed about it, crack on.

13 hours ago, DappaDonDave said:

Don't s**t the bed about it, crack on.

tbf the health things im not too worried about, its just one of the side effects is heart palpitations/fast heart rate... which could be the reason why even if im just laying in bed chilling, i get random bursts of a fast pounding heartbeat for a few minutes ?

Lifesizepenguin likes this

1 minute ago, IIFYM_ALEX said:

tbf the health things im not too worried about, its just one of the side effects is heart palpitations/fast heart rate... which could be the reason why even if im just laying in bed chilling, i get random bursts of a fast pounding heartbeat for a few minutes ?

Stop taking it and see if you still have this problem then.

16 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

Stop taking it and see if you still have this problem then.

but i love pre workout too much :whistling::lol:

56 minutes ago, IIFYM_ALEX said:

Similar to caffeine then. Could be that.

23 hours ago, IIFYM_ALEX said:

Never, ever in my entire life, have I would I worry about the health risks of orange peel.

You definitely do much worse. Theres probably worse other ingredients just in the preworkout.

17 minutes ago, Lifesizepenguin said:

Theres probably worse other ingredients just in the preworkout.

Was about to say... all the shite they put into pwo's and he picks on orange peal lol

Lifesizepenguin likes this

3 hours ago, IIFYM_ALEX said:

sounds like an anxiety attack.

I think if you were to be getting sustained palpitations then maybe. but random ones tend to be something like a panic attack.

Or alternatively it could just be all the other s**t in the PWO. But I dont think the 'half life' of orange peel, or in fact anything in the preworkout, is long enough to affect you after a 2 hour workout, ride home, meal and then in bed plus whatever else.

Why not either:

1. stop taking PWO see if it helps

2. go to the doctors and say to them your having heart palpatations when lying in bed

29 minutes ago, 2004mark said:

Was about to say... all the shite they put into pwo's and he picks on orange peal lol

Could it be the Tren?

nah, nah, gotta be the orange peel.

2004mark likes this