Baka

Farmer walk a must for strength?

26 posts in this topic

I was wondering if this exercice is a must for strength gains in the 3 basic exercices ?

I added this exercice once a week in my routine , but i don't know how many sets etc i have to do , tips ?

thanks

No one exercise is a must, unless you're training specifically for the farmers walk I suppose i.e. a stongman.

Agree with the above, it is a great exercise though (even though I never do it lol)

Baka and theBEAST2002 like this

Nothing beats it for upper back development apart from snatch grip block pulls maybe, works your grip like nothing else also. Just load the handles with the same weight you can do for a 5 set of deads and do 4-6 100 yard runs with them. When you can get 6 full lengths done increase the weight. I would also program it as a main lift also if you intend on using it due to neural fatigue. 

13 hours ago, Quackerz said:

Nothing beats it for upper back development apart from snatch grip block pulls maybe, works your grip like nothing else also. Just load the handles with the same weight you can do for a 5 set of deads and do 4-6 100 yard runs with them. When you can get 6 full lengths done increase the weight. I would also program it as a main lift also if you intend on using it due to neural fatigue. 

ok thanks for the tips :)

Quackerz likes this

4 hours ago, RS86 said:

Bugger it, wasn't going to but may as well chuck this up in here :lol:

nice , i can put 140kg and walk with it , if i put more it's getting too hard to walk

7 hours ago, Baka said:

nice , i can put 140kg and walk with it , if i put more it's getting too hard to walk

I try to keep my steps short and quick. 140kg is really good at your bodyweight

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

I try to keep my steps short and quick. 140kg is really good at your bodyweight

yea , there s no risk that your feet broke to the sides?

I don't know if you get what i mean , like your feet break at it's right or left , i was scared of that since i did farmer walk not on solid ground .

1 hour ago, Baka said:

yea , there s no risk that your feet broke to the sides?

I don't know if you get what i mean , like your feet break at it's right or left , i was scared of that since i did farmer walk not on solid ground .

Yeah there is always a risk that you could fall either side and twist an ankle or hurt a knee, this is why I try to keep my steps smaller and quicker. But then most things we do when we train have risks :lol:

Baka likes this

On 21/12/2016 at 3:14 AM, Quackerz said:

Added snatch-grip rack pulls to my routine recently, fu**ing hell they kill your upper back more than any type of row I've ever tried.

Quackerz likes this

I did these for the first time today, and god damn I love them.

Did them after a full body work out - front squat, bench and row.

I'm 80kg and had 40kg in each hand.  

F**k all weight looking at the numbers above!

This felt pretty damn heavy to me and could only do short walks, and then rest for 45 seconds and then go again.

36 minutes ago, I'mNotAPervert! said:

Added snatch-grip rack pulls to my routine recently, fu**ing hell they kill your upper back more than any type of row I've ever tried.

I know mate, it's fu**ing murder. lol

33 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

I know mate, it's fu**ing murder. lol

What height are you setting the rack at ? Shin? Below knee? Above knee? 

31 minutes ago, gazzamongo said:

What height are you setting the rack at ? Shin? Below knee? Above knee? 

f**k racks, off blocks mate, more natural movement pattern. I set it around knee height usually. Have gone up to 270 from mid thigh. 

gazzamongo likes this

1 minute ago, Quackerz said:

f**k racks, off blocks mate, more natural movement pattern. I set it around knee height usually. Have gone up to 270 from mid thigh. 

:S they don't have those at austerity gyms. I'd have to annoy people making stacks of 20kg plates instead of blocks lol

Quackerz likes this

2 minutes ago, gazzamongo said:

:S they don't have those at austerity gyms. I'd have to annoy people making stacks of 20kg plates instead of blocks lol

Best way to do it mate. lol 

gazzamongo likes this

23 hours ago, zariph said:

Do people do this on back day or leg day? sorry for noob question, never done these but they look great

I generally did them same day as deadlifts as I wouldn't be able to squat and do farmers on the same day without taking it easier on one or the other tbh

zariph and Baka like this

Was cautious about mentioning these at risk of being accused of ' forearm faggotry ' but if you have lady wrists a broken hand and fingers like soggy okra you might find your grip fails while your traps are gagging for more.  so after some unassisted sets I stick these on and keep going. guess you could even pick up kbells then walk on a treadmill if open areas of gym are busy ( not tried this yet as I've only just had the idea)  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014UHD3ZW/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

My weak upper back is holding I'm deadlift back (I think). Will try add these to my program. Doing rack pulls at the moment too due to poverty lockout 

On 12/30/2016 at 11:50 PM, Disclosure said:

My weak upper back is holding I'm deadlift back (I think). Will try add these to my program. Doing rack pulls at the moment too due to poverty lockout 

Do them with a snatch grip, preferably off blocks if you have them at your gym. 

1 hour ago, Quackerz said:

Do them with a snatch grip, preferably off blocks if you have them at your gym. 

Interesting. And nope no blocks unfortunately. Changing gyms soon, perhaps my new one may have some.