YoungBlood

Protein Bars for Newbies

23 posts in this topic

Hi there

Hope you guys can help. im a newbie lifter and im trying to figure out the best protein bar to buy to allow me to get enough protein in each day.

I have read some stuff like that increasing insulin levels is bad over a short period of time.  I am looking at the nutritional stuff on these bars.  Alot of the ingredients seem to be oats and sugars etc

What should I look for a in a protein bar? Should it be low GI, Low carb and low sugar?  If I ate a bar with lots of oats and sugars would it quickly raise my insulin?

Thanks

John

Seriously make your own. The shop ones are full of s**t. 

Protein powder 2/3 scoops

oats 200g

peanut butter 100g

honey 1 table spoon (or sweetener)

chopped dates handful 

maybe some raisens too

mix together and refrigerate. 

You can either have it straight like that. It's more of a sticky flap jack that way. Or bake it for 10 mins for a more firm texture

jacksong likes this

either do the above, but if you cant be arsed, then buy the cheapest with highest protein content

its only one snack when you should be eating more meals anyway, so it wont make much difference,

if your a noobie then most likely you wont be eating enough, so the higher on fats,carbs,protein the better tbh..

dont worry about the other parts like low/high GI, as you wont notice much difference and just need LOTS of food to grow

The few I've bought have all tasted rubbish. Personally I'd just have whey with a normal cake/snack, but as above making your own is another option.

Stop worrying about GI and insulin. Focus on your total daily calorie intake instead.

TinTin10 likes this

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 2:39 PM, 2004mark said:

Being a newbie, why do you think you need protein bars?

I've been training over 15 years and never had one.

And seriously... forget shite like insulin levels until you're preparing for your first show.

100% this ^ 

If you're new then you protein requirement wont be all that high yet so save stuff like this for when you are truly struggling.

On 12/21/2016 at 8:52 AM, simonthepieman said:

Seriously make your own. The shop ones are full of s**t. 

Protein powder 2/3 scoops

oats 200g

peanut butter 100g

honey 1 table spoon (or sweetener)

chopped dates handful 

maybe some raisens too

mix together and refrigerate. 

You can either have it straight like that. It's more of a sticky flap jack that way. Or bake it for 10 mins for a more firm texture

I'm going to try this. I've only got chocolate whey though, shud it be unflavoured whey?

I always have the CNP bars, I buy them when they're on offer, just keep some in my desk at work and in my briefcase for when I'm out and about on meetings etc.

2 hours ago, shockmaster said:

I'm going to try this. I've only got chocolate whey though, shud it be unflavoured whey?

Why would it matter?? Whey is whey, as said, you just want plenty of food right now and grow... a protein bar isn't gonna make any odds, most have very little in, you'd be better getting 4 pints of gold top or semi skimmed and drinking that through the day ;) 

IMG_4343.PNG

3 hours ago, superdrol said:

Why would it matter?? Whey is whey, as said, you just want plenty of food right now and grow... a protein bar isn't gonna make any odds, most have very little in, you'd be better getting 4 pints of gold top or semi skimmed and drinking that through the day ;) 

IMG_4343.PNG

i just wanted his preference for taste... chocolate flapjacks dont sound great to me

have a mars bar and wash it down with a protein shake.

only time i use protein bars now is if im doing a lot of driving and unable to eat proper foods, or stop for foods, and even then i buy tasty bars that are probably full of fat and sugar lol. I just need to keep cals and fats up during starving times.  I usually stock up on USNs Protein Delite Bars when they have 60% off offers. Toffee Almond, mmmm. 

16 hours ago, Smitch said:

I always have the CNP bars, I buy them when they're on offer, just keep some in my desk at work and in my briefcase for when I'm out and about on meetings etc.

I get these, cheap as f**k to buy. The lemon meringue one tastes fu**ing good too. 

11 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

I get these, cheap as f**k to buy. The lemon meringue one tastes fu**ing good too. 

choc orange CNP are the best. Havent had any of those in donkeys. Ate so many in the past i got bored of them ha.

14 minutes ago, Clubber Lang said:

choc orange CNP are the best. Havent had any of those in donkeys. Ate so many in the past i got bored of them ha.

LOL

Yet to try mate, I just buy them in bulk, I'll grab a box next time. 

40 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

Yeah, that's the flavour I get, and the cherry one.

Always can get a deal on them somewhere on line.

Quackerz likes this

1 hour ago, Smitch said:

Yeah, that's the flavour I get, and the cherry one.

Always can get a deal on them somewhere on line.

Got some cherry ones too. HA 

I think you're over thinking things which has been commented on already. 

Get a protein shake and set up a good diet plan. That's all most people need. If you want to have a protein bar, have any, or if counting macros, but one that fits in to your daily amount. 

On 30/12/2016 at 8:55 PM, Smitch said:

This or the BBW premium when on offer 

Smitch likes this

1 hour ago, Ross1991 said:

This or the BBW premium when on offer 

Yeah, they're pretty good too those ones, haven't had them for ages though.

I'll have to keep my eye out for some offers. :thumb

Ross1991 likes this