UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Cats not Interested In going outside.

885 views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  The-Real-Deal 
#1 ·
So the not so Kittens me and the Girlfriend have, both are 7 Months old now and are ready to go out, only Issue is neither want to, not only that but seem petrified of It.

Over September when It was nice quiet day during the Week we left both our front Doors open (we live in a first floor Flat of a house) and tried to coax them out but they wouldn't come down the first step, I tried to carry them down but ended up getting torn to Shreds so won't do that again.

We have Cat flaps on both Doors so when the Female Is Spayed next week we were thinking of just unsealing both Flaps and leaving them to It, maybe briefly teaching them how to use them and leave it to them to decide when to go out.

A lot of people have said we are lucky they want to be Indoor Cats but I just worry they are getting big and need to burn off Energy and Hunt outside!

Maybe they are still a little young.

#5 ·
Forgot to mention It doesn't help that because the Cat flaps are on a front door, even though we don't live on a Busy Road, whenever a Car drives past and they are even half way down the stairs they just get spooked and run back up.

I thought the fact they look out the front out of the a living room window would help them get a feel of their surroundings.

#6 ·
Forgot to mention It doesn't help that because the Cat flaps are on a front door, even though we don't live on a Busy Road, whenever a Car drives past and they are even half way down the stairs they just get spooked and run back up.

I thought the fact they look out the front out of the a living room window would help them get a feel of their surroundings.
Open the windows wide open and any doors to get them used to the noises.

Put them in the cat crate and take them out in that, maybe sit outside with them for a bit so they're comforted.

#10 ·
My Girlfriend wants them as House Cats and I don't really have a problem apart from Im worried they will get Bored Inside, keep in mind I only live IN a 1 Bedroom flat and while It's a fair size surely they will get bored eventually?

See what happens

#23 ·
I do like cats even though I'm allergic to them, but I could never own one, the cat hair is the most annoying thing, especially on clothes, I visit my mate sometimes who has 4 of the buggers and find their hair many weeks later on my clothes.

I'd have a dog as a pet defo, but a cat no, not that anyone asked lol just a passing comment
No hair, no problem!

my gf knows someone allergic to cat hair and they got a syphnx and he says it's amazing!

View attachment IMG_5492.JPG

Attachments

#20 ·
We've a kitten who's just turned 8 months. As soon as he was snipped and chipped he was outdoors which was just over 6 months old.

Obviously it's situational but they'll always be wary of cars and things to begin with. They'll venture outside eventually it's in their nature.

The cat box is a good idea and taking them out in it but you will look a bit like a mug walking about with it. There's even harnesses you can get for your cats to walk them as well which could be an option to start with. I'd even try taking a box of their favourite treats outside and and making them come to you for some.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just let them do whatever they want and stop worrying about it, if they wanna stay in, let them, just leave the cat flap open and let them do their own thing. They're cats, they don't need babysitting now they're adults.

Having said that, with my mums recent cat (inb4 pussy jokes) she stuck it in a cat box and took it out in the garden and just opened it, let the cat have a look round, and then she couldn't keep it inside once it had a taste for the outdoors.

It's been around 6 months since she saw it last, presumed dead lol!

#26 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

The Idea of just unsealing the Cat flaps Is what we are gonna go for, and once the Girl as been done if they want to go out the Living room they can, if that's what they are more comfortable with, we thought of putting our Wheelie Bin under the Guttering they should just be able to Jump up back to the Window.

#32 ·
You can get leashes for kittens now. They attach onto a harness. Its a good way to introduce them to gardens ect.

Try playing with them, taking them outside and playing with them. Putting their litter tray outside. If that doesnt work lock them outside for about 8 hours and they'll be fine.

#33 ·
You can get leashes for kittens now. They attach onto a harness. Its a good way to introduce them to gardens ect.

Try playing with them, taking them outside and playing with them. Putting their litter tray outside. If that doesnt work lock them outside for about 8 hours and they'll be fine.
My cat plays dead if you put a harness on her, the other cat is wayyy to fat to get a harness round! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.