Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Training for the running leg on a Tri

3 posts in this topic

Posted

gday gents..

training for a running leg on a triathlon coming up.. distance is 8kms.. have a team organised and im doing the running leg.. event is on the 2nd of December

training program for this is below - only decided to do it today so i havnt started it yet but will start next week.

Monday (4-5 hours after weights)

Treadmill - 60mins at a jogging pace

Tuesday (early morning... 3:30am)

Outdoor fartlek session:-

- 20 min run

- followed by 10 mins uphill sprints

(Taper the run down by 1 min/week and add an extra 1 min of hill sprints)

Wednesday (4-5 hours after weights)

Outdoor run (midday - to train my body for the heat) - 30 mins

Thursday

Rest

Friday (4-5 hours after weights)

Treadmill starting at 10km's (ascending 3km's per week to get the distance up)

Weekend

EAT LIKE A MOFO!! & rest

too much? not enough? i currently do barely any running so its got to be a quick progression otherwise i won't get the fitness up enough to be able to do it.

also how far out do i taper the training down? 2 weeks? 4 weeks?

i know my bulking will have to be put on hold but i want to do this just to prove to myself that i can.

cheers in advance guys.. i know this isn't exactly your forte' but i hope you boys can help me as you always do.

Posted

no bites so i assume either no one cares or no one has knowledge on this area.. but anyway ill bump it and update it anyways..

the tri has dropped down to a short tri so im only doing a 3km run.. so focusing on short distance at a faster pace.. mainly doing intervals and high rep ranges for legs once each a week, as well as a 3km run to monitor my time.

Posted

no bites so i assume either no one cares or no one has knowledge on this area.. but anyway ill bump it and update it anyways..

the tri has dropped down to a short tri so im only doing a 3km run.. so focusing on short distance at a faster pace.. mainly doing intervals and high rep ranges for legs once each a week, as well as a 3km run to monitor my time.

you should still get a run of upto 5 k in there about 80% of race pace and on other day train at 3 k at near race pace

if your doing the rest of the TRI you will be tired from swim and bike so will need extra CV for running leg