LDVinny

Why I use IF

35 posts in this topic

On 16/06/2016 at 1:57 PM, Thunderstruck said:

Feast and Fast has been shown to help increase life longevity too, even BBC Horizon did a program on it and the labs all showed Fasting helped the body fight free radicals and allowed body time to heal itself, so not just a great weight loss tool.

I think I remember seeing that programme. I'm not sure IF is enough of a 'fast' to actually have a positive effect though?

On 8/22/2016 at 11:22 PM, Ultrasonic said:

I think I remember seeing that programme. I'm not sure IF is enough of a 'fast' to actually have a positive effect though?

It is mate. Body is in fasting state after 12 hours of no food. Actually, real benefits starts after 12 hours of food absence.

Just to add, I followed three protocols when i did IF last year

1) 12 hour fast 12 hour feed

2) 16 hour fast 8 hour feed

3) 36 hours fast once a week.

I felt the second option was the most optimal in terms of performance, fat loss and even skin quality.

Ares likes this

Just started doing 16/8 on Friday, can't believe how good I feel!
Less bloating, more energy, weight loss back on track, as long as I keep busy during the morning I,m fine.

3L of water a day is keeping the hunger at bay, just have a drink when I start thinking about food.

Bringing this back from the dead!

I'm looking to start an IF diet from Monday. For those of you that did the 16/8 method not eating until the PM, do any of you workout in the AM? How did it effect your workouts? I can workout on an empty stomach fine, but I'm conscious that not even having a protein shake after may knacker me out by the time 12pm comes around. 

How about, the 5/2 method? With 600 cals on the 'fasted' days?

Been doing 16/8 for years. When at maintenance or excess id say i prefer fasted training. Not compromised at all for me. 

Not done 5:2 but have e.o.d which is similar but more extreme. That's great on a cut but energy levels in workouts definitely variable. Next time i do that ill probably not train on the low calorie days OR have my full calorie allowance pre or peri workout

This isn't IF but FWIW the last five days were low calorie days for me, where all I ate before lunch was two 20g whey drinks. I also have three coffees in these mornings, which may help with appetite suppression as well as burning a few extra calories and hopefully helping keep me alert.

I'm doing this about one week in four at the moment, just on weekdays. I do it on weeks I have to work the early shift, in part as it means I don't have to get up so early to eat breakfast! My thinking is also that by having very short fat loss phases like this I shouldn't see much of a metabolic adaptation effect. Just an approach I'm experimenting with.

I'm toying with the idea of 16/8 Mon-Fri to start with. Do you think a normal weekend eating would completely ruin the effort made during the week?  That way I can train as normal around 8am, but I suppose I'll have to just wait until 12pm for my whey shake. Tend to knock back some Ephedrine and Caffeine before a workout so quite often I'm not too hungry until lunchtime anyway. 

The more I think about it, the more I think the 5/2 method would screw with my work/life routine. I wouldn't want to train on fasted days and it would then limit my training too. 

I trialled 16/8 yesterday and had a morning workout, and got to say all was fine. However, I did throw a protein shake down me after the gym. 

I like IF because it means I only go for one massive s**t once per day, rather than 6 smaller shits throughout the day.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor