LDVinny

Why I use IF

35 posts in this topic

Any bodybuilding community that you visit and ask about IF you will always get the same answer... it is only a tool, its not that important when you eat it is only important how many calories etc... and to some degree you must agree with this. BUT! When intermittent fasting I find that when you're not eating you don't have the urge to binge eat, that being said for the first couple of days you'll be hungry all the time, but once that has passed I find hunger is no longer an issue. Just looking for your two cents on IF??

Thunderstruck and struggler like this

I'll be starting IF next week tbf.

I like my food, and so cannot really eat small meals throughout the day etc or I just over-eat.

1pm to 9pm is the window. 

Bayes93 likes this

I have recently been doing this also....... tbh i quite like it ..... it takes the stress away from my mind about gettinga meal in every 2/3hrs ........ i just have an 8hr window now to each all my calories and its sweet.

superdrol likes this

On 5/19/2016 at 11:07 PM, lukeyybrown1 said:

I have recently been doing this also....... tbh i quite like it ..... it takes the stress away from my mind about gettinga meal in every 2/3hrs ........ i just have an 8hr window now to each all my calories and its sweet.

I gave up on that idea years ago, trying to ram in 6 - 8 meals a day in. Swear it made no difference to me in terms of training , well apart from having to eat larger main meals, it can be too much hassle bringing around Tupperware boxes with you, for years on end

On 19/05/2016 at 4:00 PM, Drogon said:

I'll be starting IF next week tbf.

I like my food, and so cannot really eat small meals throughout the day etc or I just over-eat.

1pm to 9pm is the window. 

That's why I use it too - I suck at portion control so it solves the issue without it being one. 

Fluke82 likes this

Been doing Warrior 20/4 since October last year , stuff my face from 4 to 8pm and train fasted , as it stands probably do this for the rest of my life , easy to add and lose weight , never felt better :)

if

[if] 
Spell Syllables
conjunction
in case that; granting or supposing that; on condition that:
Sing if you want to. Stay indoors if it rains. I'll go if you do.
even though:
an enthusiastic if small audience.
whether:
He asked if I knew Spanish.
(used to introduce an exclamatory phrase):
If only Dad could see me now!
when or whenever:
If it was raining, we had to play inside.
noun
a supposition; uncertain possibility:
The future is full of ifs.
a condition, requirement, or stipulation:
There are too many ifs in his agreement.

Hope that helps. 

On 21/05/2016 at 10:22 PM, GB987 said:

Does supplementing with BCAAs outside the window have any effect? 

Think I read somewhere that they can be used pre/post/intra workout. Think anything over 30 cals generally is considered to break the fast - then again if you are doing it for portion control and dont believe that the long fasted state has any extra impact on weight loss then it would make absolutely no difference.

I train first thing in the morning then eat around 11am as I train fine on an empty stomach first thing. Sometimes I'll have a banana if the workout is intense (i do crossfit so dont know what im doing til i get there)

At the moment I just eat when I'm hungry so ill have lunch around 1pm, dinner around 6pm and then a snack in the evening but going to try and bring that last meal in a little bit to follow an IF style 8 hour window

8 minutes ago, TheScam said:

Think I read somewhere that they can be used pre/post/intra workout. Think anything over 30 cals generally is considered to break the fast - then again if you are doing it for portion control and dont believe that the long fasted state has any extra impact on weight loss then it would make absolutely no difference.

I train first thing in the morning then eat around 11am as I train fine on an empty stomach first thing. Sometimes I'll have a banana if the workout is intense (i do crossfit so dont know what im doing til i get there)

At the moment I just eat when I'm hungry so ill have lunch around 1pm, dinner around 6pm and then a snack in the evening but going to try and bring that last meal in a little bit to follow an IF style 8 hour window

i read somewhere that one of the main benefits of IF is while you're fasting you're insulin levels are very low so you're body is in "fat burning mode" if you take BCAAs you will spike insulin levels so it defeats the purpose IMO.  Of course this doesn't matter if you're just using IF to prevent overeating.

41 minutes ago, Sphinkter said:

i read somewhere that one of the main benefits of IF is while you're fasting you're insulin levels are very low so you're body is in "fat burning mode" if you take BCAAs you will spike insulin levels so it defeats the purpose IMO.  Of course this doesn't matter if you're just using IF to prevent overeating.

Agreed, depends on your motives although from what I read up on it it's generally considered that BCAAs dont break your fast.

Do BCAAs have Any Calories? Won't taking them break my fast?

As BCAAs are amino acids that make up protein, they definitely have caloric weight. Fasting is not an on/off switch - ingesting 10 calories won't suddenly turn fasting "off." Taking 10 grams of BCAA is ok.

http://examine.com/leangains-faq/#summary15

50 minutes ago, TheScam said:

Agreed, depends on your motives although from what I read up on it it's generally considered that BCAAs dont break your fast.

Do BCAAs have Any Calories? Won't taking them break my fast?

As BCAAs are amino acids that make up protein, they definitely have caloric weight. Fasting is not an on/off switch - ingesting 10 calories won't suddenly turn fasting "off." Taking 10 grams of BCAA is ok.

http://examine.com/leangains-faq/#summary15

Get what you're saying but I wasn't talking about the caloric content of the BCAAs (4cal per g) I was talking about the insulin spiking effect of taking them.  Insulin is the storage hormone so generally while it is high you won't be burning as much fat.

https://m.reddit.com/r/leangains/comments/3k4r9r/bcaas_may_not_be_ideal_for_a_fasting_approach_dr/

If the reason for taking BCAA's when fasted is to prevent muscle breakdown, just use HMB as it's better than the leucine in BCAA's.

18 minutes ago, Sphinkter said:

Get what you're saying but I wasn't talking about the caloric content of the BCAAs (4cal per g) I was talking about the insulin spiking effect of taking them.  Insulin is the storage hormone so generally while it is high you won't be burning as much fat.

https://m.reddit.com/r/leangains/comments/3k4r9r/bcaas_may_not_be_ideal_for_a_fasting_approach_dr/

Fair enough, thanks for that

I assume a pre-workout drink would have the same effect, plus extra cals?

21 minutes ago, TheScam said:

Fair enough, thanks for that

I assume a pre-workout drink would have the same effect, plus extra cals?

Yep and I think that's also one of the supposed benefits of a pre/post workout drink, spiking insulin and flooding the bloodstream with fast digesting protein and carbs, then working out so in theory the raised insulin shuttles all the nutrients into the muscles, which are primed to soak it up as a result of working out.

i think this was all based on some study done on rats though.

Just now, Sphinkter said:

Yep and I think that's also one of the supposed benefits of a pre/post workout drink, spiking insulin and flooding the bloodstream with fast digesting protein and carbs, then working out so in theory the raised insulin shuttles all the nutrients into the muscles, which are primed to soak it up as a result of working out.

i think this was all based on some study done on rats though.

Interesting.

I'm still a believer that a calorie deficit and sensible macro balance will yield the results I need, everything else is just a bit too scientific for me!

Sphinkter likes this

28 minutes ago, TheScam said:

Interesting.

I'm still a believer that a calorie deficit and sensible macro balance will yield the results I need, everything else is just a bit too scientific for me!

Same, simple is best!

On 5/26/2016 at 8:54 PM, TheScam said:

Interesting.

agreed that IF seems too fancy for me, just eat less. I went from 37 to 34waist in 2 months, wasn't hard actually. Just eat until hunger taken away not stuffed, More habit than anything. Bit of education too of course on what your eating 

On 5/26/2016 at 8:54 PM, TheScam said:

Interesting.

agreed that IF seems too fancy for me, just eat less. I went from 37 to 34waist in 2 months, wasn't hard actually. Just eat until hunger taken away not stuffed, More habit than anything. Bit of education too of course on what your eating 

On 6/4/2016 at 3:59 AM, JohhnyC said:

definitely agree. Eat only when hungry and use smaller portions, and as you say make it a habit.

Feast and Fast has been shown to help increase life longevity too, even BBC Horizon did a program on it and the labs all showed Fasting helped the body fight free radicals and allowed body time to heal itself, so not just a great weight loss tool.

Jeffers1966 likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor