Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

week off training - rest and recuperate

10 posts in this topic

Posted

read good advice in the following books regarding rest-mike mentzer,doran yates,staurt mcrobert all say the same -take a whole week off and do nothing-which will sort out overtraining and chronic aches/tiredness. im off on hol for a week soon, and insted of\ my previous looking for a gym,doing crunches chins and press ups ( sad i know), im going to do nought for a week just chill read etc. anyone else doing this during their hols?, it makes you stronger when return to training, cant get young guys at gym to do as they all doing volume overtraining, recommend to all though- any thoughts?

Posted

Defo a good idea, though I have not managed a day off in two years LOL

Posted

A week off training is the best thing ever, highly reccomended. I like to take a week out every three months, holiday or not. It allows not only muscular recuperation, it allows systemic stress to be dealt with & gives the nervous, digestive & endocrine systems a break.

Just pretend for a week that you don't know what the word 'exercise' means then come back refreshed & ready to attack the weights.

Posted

Im gonna take a week of from today lads. im realy feeling it now.

Posted

A week off training is the best thing ever, highly reccomended. I like to take a week out every three months, holiday or not. It allows not only muscular recuperation, it allows systemic stress to be dealt with & gives the nervous, digestive & endocrine systems a break.

Just pretend for a week that you don't know what the word 'exercise' means then come back refreshed & ready to attack the weights.

Does cardio count Ninepack?

Posted

Your call, but I prefert to just do jack sh1t related to exercise. It really screws with your head the first time you do it, but by the end of the week, you have that 'fire in the belly' & really have a genuine desire to get back at it, which is a good sign that the body is ready for it.

I advise when doing this to dip the carbs a little (20-30% max) but keep protein constant & use the time to catch up on those other areas of our lives that seem to fall by the wayside a bit when we are training intensely.

Posted

good reply, wish i had wised up to that years ago-just do abbreviated sessions now ,plenty time out of gym for rest of life and get good results every sesh as fresh and not chronically overtrained. good point bout reducing the carbs-i find that appetite reduces accordingly when not training anyway-then takes off when back at gym,

Posted

will lower the carbs aswell.

Posted

When you lower the carbs, don't go too low, you need some in there to aid the recuperative process. My offseason carbs are currently 350g, when I take a week out, I drop it to about 270g. Losing the PWO Pro Recover makes for a 50g dip in carbs by itself anyway.

Posted

mmmm. i would just keep the diet the same then but drop the PWO as thats 50g also. Cheers Ninepack!