UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Instant noodles?

1K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Frandeman 
#1 ·
I know these been threads on this before but I'm struggling to find them

I normaly throw a pack of these in my bag for work as they are a quick and easy meal when I'm rushed but scanning it into myfitness pal gives all kinds of different kcal values? The pack say something like 220kcal per 100g, then per pack is 65g, but once cooked they come in at over 400kcal?

I know with rice, pasta etc it's dry weight we go by as all you add is water to the food but why are these different?

#8 ·
Just use the details provided on the packaging. Why would you use cooked weight if adding water? Water has 0 cals really makes no diff...
According to the website dry weight is less than cooked weight and so the macros change with adding water, sounds stupid I know but I thought a bowl of these noodles for just over 100 kcal seemed to good to be true and I'm on a cut so want to keep an eye on it

#10 ·
God knows mate. In the past I've used those super noodles chicken flavour, taste absolutely lovely like. Think its like 400/500+ cal a pack I can't remember. Rice is probably a better option but not the worst for a change in the diet.
Yeah I was thinking of just going back to rice as I know what exactly I'm getting with that

#11 ·
According to the website dry weight is less than cooked weight and so the macros change with adding water, sounds stupid I know but I thought a bowl of these noodles for just over 100 kcal seemed to good to be true and I'm on a cut so want to keep an eye on it
If a dry and product has 260 kcal and 20g each of protein, carbohydrate and fat, then the same product made up with water will have these exact same macros. All that changes is the total weight of the made up product. The grams of carbohydrate per 100g of cooked noodles will therefore be less than per 100g of dry noodles, but the total carbs for the serving is identical.

#13 ·
If a dry and product has 260 kcal and 20g each of protein, carbohydrate and fat, then the same product made up with water will have these exact same macros. All that changes is the total weight of the made up product. The grams of carbohydrate per 100g of cooked noodles will therefore be less than per 100g of dry noodles, but the total carbs for the serving is identical.
The pack says 100g Is around 130kcal but the pack is 65g but is 3x as many, confused me that's all as you only add 250ml of water?

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
That would be spot on mate, don't get why they don't just put cooked weight on foods, who would eat dry noodles lol
I on the other hand don't get why they give cooked weights at all - who makes instant noodles and then weighs them out? What you want to know is the nutritional data for the pack, which is dry.

Generally I want dry weight nutritional data for everything so I can weigh out a portion to give the macros I want, and then cook it. Not cook something and then see what I've got. Dry weight data is also more accurate since it removes the variability depending on quite how a food has been cooked. The obvious exception being foods where the nutrional value actually changes during cooking, most particularly fatty foods that are for example grilled and consequently lose a significant amount of there fat content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.