1,936 posts in this topic

An upper session today.

Face Pulls 5x10.

Lat Pulldowns 4x8.

Pec Deck 5x10.

Bench Press 4x10.

Side Laterals 4x10.

DB Curls 5x10.

Pushdowns 3x10 supersetted with Machine Dips 3x15. 

A good session in which I increased the weights on all but Pulldowns and Pec Deck. I had a really crappy day at work so it did me good to let loose in the gym. The heat was stifling but I suppose we'll have to get used to that as Summer approaches. I would certainly be complaining if it was freezing lol.

All being well I'll be back to the deadlifts tomorrow.

Lower today.

Hex Bar Deadlifts 8x60kg, 6x120kg, 6x150 kg, 4x180kg, 2x190kg, 2x200kg.

Leg Extensions 3x10. Then 1x28 and 1x22 with the stack, both sets to failure.

Leg Curls 4x10.

Standing Calf Raise 4x10.

Hyperextensions 3x10 with 5kg added.

Stretching and core work.

So back to the deads with no issues. The 200 felt a bit heavier than it has in the past, but after a bit of a break I half expected that. I pushed everything else hard and it was a productive session overall.

I'm struggling to eat enough atm, which isn't like me, and I'm not sure why. I'll just have to keep shovelling it in lol, at least for the remaining few weeks until my cut.

27.5km tonight on the bike. 

I'm working all weekend so I may well have another cardio night tomorrow and get back in the gym for an upper session on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend guys:thumbup1:

Greshie and Stephen9069 like this

So another 20km on the bike tonight. Looking forward to getting back to the weights tomorrow.

Home made meatballs and spaghetti tonight, and a choice between a KFC or a few double cheeseburgers from McD's tomorrow. Decisions, decisions...:)

Stephen9069 likes this

54 minutes ago, Mingster said:

So another 20km on the bike tonight. Looking forward to getting back to the weights tomorrow.

Home made meatballs and spaghetti tonight, and a choice between a KFC or a few double cheeseburgers from McD's tomorrow. Decisions, decisions...:)

KFC's got to be the lesser of 2 evils since it actually looks like meat but in terms of getting the taste buds firing i think mcdonalds takes the win for me

Mingster likes this

An upper session this afternoon.

Face Pulls 5x10.

Lat Pulldowns 4x8.

Pec Deck 5x10.

Bench Press 4x10.

Side Laterals 4x10.

DB Curls 5x10.

Pushdowns 3x10 supersetted with Machine Dips 3x15.

No increase in the top set weights but several increases in the earlier sets. I'm unsure if I have mentioned this buy I pyramid the weights up on the majority of the exercises most of the time. As the top end weights increase it's only natural to adjust the earlier sets to match, but it's not always a good idea to do both at the same time as the overall weight lifted can increase to a level that prevents progress.

Feeling a little run down today, and that reminded my that my nebido shot must be about due. I normally keep a note of when I get them in my diary so I know when to book my appointments, but I had forgotten to do so last time. A quick call to my local GP's surgery confirmed that I'm due next week and my appointment has been duly booked.

No McD's or KFC today as roadworks made the journey not worth my while. I'll definitely be having a KFC tomorrow though;)

Stephen9069 and Greshie like this

So, the first morning workout in as long as I can recall. I'm not a fan of am training but I am donating blood this afternoon so it was best to get this out of the way beforehand.

Hex Bar Deadlift 8x80kg, 6x130kg, 6x150kg, 4x170kg, 2x190kg, 3x200kg.

Leg Extensions 3x10. The two sets to failure with the stack. I'm not going to even bother counting these reps any longer. Save to say that I go until even a partial is beyond me.

Leg Curls 4x10.

Standing Calf Raise 3x10.

A good little session despite the early start, and the triple with 200 was much more comfortable this time out. The extensions were agonising, and I managed a good squeeze at the top of the reps for everything else.

I read with interest @swole troll's comments on calf training the other day, and I must admit I agree with him. Personally I feel the most effective ways to increase calf size are through walking a lot, cycling a lot, or being massively overweight and simply moving about. Mt calves are ok ish but never seem to improve from direct weight training. I think this is because calves are worked each and every day simply by moving about, and the only way to effectively improve them using weights would be to do 200+ rep sets.

Having said all that, when I reintroduced calf raises to my session I could barely get 4x10 with two thirds of the stack. Now I can easily do the same with the entire stack. For this reason I am going to continue to include three sets of 10 in my lower workouts, not for size, but for functionality and to ensure that a lack of balanced strength in my calves doesn't lead to an injury.

7 minutes ago, Mingster said:

So, the first morning workout in as long as I can recall. I'm not a fan of am training but I am donating blood this afternoon so it was best to get this out of the way beforehand.

Hex Bar Deadlift 8x80kg, 6x130kg, 6x150kg, 4x170kg, 2x190kg, 3x200kg.

Leg Extensions 3x10. The two sets to failure with the stack. I'm not going to even bother counting these reps any longer. Save to say that I go until even a partial is beyond me.

Leg Curls 4x10.

A good little session despite the early start, and the triple with 200 was much more comfortable this time out. The extensions were agonising, and I managed a good squeeze at the top of the reps for everything else.

I read with interest @swole troll's comments on calf training the other day, and I must admit I agree with him. Personally I feel the most effective ways to increase calf size are through walking a lot, cycling a lot, or being massively overweight and simply moving about. Mt calves are ok ish but never seem to improve from direct weight training. I think this is because calves are worked each and every day simply by moving about, and the only way to effectively improve them using weights would be to do 200+ rep sets.

Having said all that, when I reintroduced calf raises to my session I could barely get 4x10 with two thirds of the stack. Now I can easily do the same with the entire stack. For this reason I am going to continue to include three sets of 10 in my lower workouts, not for size, but for functionality and to ensure that a lack of balanced strength in my calves doesn't lead to an injury.

ive heard that the reason they dont respond to the typical sets and reps overload of other muscles is there is a different muscle fiber type (or more so of a certain type) in the calf which is also why it makes for a poor site to inject despite it being used every day which usually makes for a good IM site

and the 200+ rep sets probably would be a good approach to those really determined to make them grow, maybe loading up a heavy back pack and walking up the stairs of a tower block, calf raising every step

Mingster likes this

8 minutes ago, swole troll said:

and the 200+ rep sets probably would be a good approach to those really determined to make them grow, maybe loading up a heavy back pack and walking up the stairs of a tower block, calf raising every step

It may be wise to gradually build up to this lol.

swole troll likes this

Twenty odd degrees and brilliant sunshine hereabouts today so only die hards were in the gym rather than sitting by the river with a pint of some refreshing beverage.

Face Pulls 5x10.

Lat Pulldowns 4x8.

Pec Deck 5x10.

Bench Press 4x10.

Side Laterals 3x10 with the final set a drop set.

DB Curls 4x6-10.

Pushdowns 3x19 supersetted with Machine Dips 3x15.

Because of the heat I trained with a steadier pace than usual but still managed to add weight to the Pulldowns, Laterals, and Curls. My right elbow is playing up again but otherwise all seems ok. I met up with a couple of old acquaintances after the session and we put the world to rights. It's always good to talk to like minded people and a few ideas were bounced around that I may incorporate once I start my diet.

Stephen9069 likes this

Another extremely warm and sunny day, and the gym was even emptier than yesterday.

Hex Bar Deadlifts 8x80kg, 6x120kg, 6x150kg, 4x170kg, 2x190kg, 2x2x200kg.

Leg Extensions 3x10. The two sets to failure with the stack.

Leg Curls 4x10.

Very difficult to push oneself in this heat, especially on the deads. Still I bucked down and got the necessary work done. I'll be having a rest from the weights tomorrow, although I may do some cardio tomorrow night. It all depends if I have a drink or two during the FA Cup final;)

Have a great weekend guys:thumbup1: