UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Twilight of the Thunder God

108K views 3K replies 75 participants last post by  Mingster 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Time for a new journal as the old one has run it's course and the time has come for a new beginning.

Things were going reasonably well until about 6 months ago when a variety of health issues flared up and put paid to my years training goals. I'm on the mend now so will be starting again in 2014 with a slightly different approach.

I've been pushing the weights pretty hard over the last couple of years in an attempt to get back to where I was before a nasty back injury. I've been pretty successful tbh, far more so than I ever really thought possible, but in the process have cut a few corners training wise. The time has come to take a step back, get back to the basics and work on technique rather than simply weight lifted. I'm going to stick with the squats, deads and bench work, add in assistance work like glute/ham raises, chins and rows, and also some weightlifting stuff such as pulls and clean and jerk.

Blood and snot training designed to get me strong safely, and also to add flexibility and fitness which will, hopefully, improve my health and longevity in the sport through my 50's and possibly beyond. Good old fashioned Viking training:D

#7 ·
Cheers guys. Your support is always greatly appreciated.

I'm still getting over a Christmas cold so won't be lifting any weights until the beginning of next week. I have been stretching regularly over the past couple of weeks though, primarily focused on my squat and deadlift. For an old guy I am pretty flexible in the hips and ankles but less so in the inner thigh/groin area but after a couple of weeks work I'm getting there. I also need to work on my hamstring flexibility.

I've been meaning to do this for a while but have finally got round to asking a local joiner to knock me up a box for box squatting. I'm looking at something 24 inches square and 15 inches high. I like box squats and mean to do lots of these over the coming months. Here's a quick video to show the kind of stuff I intend doing, the only difference being that I squat with my feet facing pretty much straight ahead of me...

#8 ·
Ullo lovely Ming...I will be very interested in the content of your journal....I was going to start doing 5x5 but decided myself to just do the 3 basics with one or two extras myself after reading some stuff on the internet over the last few days. I will be taking on board all tips and generally pinching all sorts of stuff from here.....if that's ok..... :D although obviously on a girlie scale.....

Due to a health thing I'm out of any impact training full stop, bugger....sorry for swearing by the way.....

I think I may use you covertly as my trainer....oh! Sod....I just let the cat out of the bag...darn! I need to work on my ninja skills...pft

Hurrr hurrr.....good luck Ming with this journal..I hope you don't mind suffering me yet again... :D . X

In my defence I can say that we have the love of pies in common, therefore I deem that my right of way here...

But.....but.....I..I...could be wrong? X

#10 ·
Flubs said:
Ullo lovely Ming...I will be very interested in the content of your journal....I was going to start doing 5x5 but decided myself to just do the 3 basics with one or two extras myself after reading some stuff on the internet over the last few days. I will be taking on board all tips and generally pinching all sorts of stuff from here.....if that's ok..... :D although obviously on a girlie scale.....

Due to a health thing I'm out of any impact training full stop, bugger....sorry for swearing by the way.....

I think I may use you covertly as my trainer....oh! Sod....I just let the cat out of the bag...darn! I need to work on my ninja skills...pft

Hurrr hurrr.....good luck Ming with this journal..I hope you don't mind suffering me yet again... :D . X

In my defence I can say that we have the love of pies in common, therefore I deem that my right of way here...

But.....but.....I..I...could be wrong? X
No worries hon. Anything I can do or say that will help you please ask. I know you don't do pm's but if you want to contact me feel free. I'm going to start pretty much from scratch so I'm sure we can progress together:thumbup1:

#11 ·
Mingster said:
No worries hon. Anything I can do or say that will help you please ask. I know you don't do pm's but if you want to contact me feel free. I'm going to start pretty much from scratch so I'm sure we can progress together:thumbup1:
Wow, how very kind of you......please don't worry, I don't like to bother people....happy blabbering along.....but if I get stuck it's nice to know I can ask..thank you so much....

Wanders off in tigger slippers for a cuppa tea smugly smiling and practising my ninja stalk....hugely important for pinching ideas in the dead of night.....wooooooooossshhhhhhh....... :)

#13 ·
Flubs said:
Wow, how very kind of you......please don't worry, I don't like to bother people....happy blabbering along.....but if I get stuck it's nice to know I can ask..thank you so much....

Wanders off in tigger slippers for a cuppa tea smugly smiling and practising my ninja stalk....hugely important for pinching ideas in the dead of night.....wooooooooossshhhhhhh....... :)
No bother at all hon:) Any time.

Will be paying a bit more attention to my diet this year too lol.

I haven't been eating as much as usual these past few months due to the medical stuff so will be starting at a lower calorie level than usual. Somewhere around 3750 or so to start with. My training will be fairly comfortable to start with but this will increase in intensity as I progress and the cals will increase accordingly. I intend to eat a lot more fish, together with the usual beef, chicken, rice and potatoes.

My daily breakfast will consist of a large shake with egg whites, oats, and various other bits and pieces added. This will be followed by two main meals and two high calorie snacks - peanut butter and jam in wholemeal bread, cheese and other dairy, and similar. Evening eating will depend on whether or not it is a training day.

Pizza and Scotch Eggs will be a staple every second weekend as usual:D

#18 ·
Got the provisions in for January this morning. 5kg of steak, 5kg lean mince, 5kg of chicken breasts, 4kg of salmon, 2kg of pollock, 1kg of prawns and a lot of basmati rice and egg noodles. I've ordered egg whites and oats from Bulkpowders for delivery tomorrow, together with leucine, Q10 and Psyllium husks. Add in some bits and pieces such as whole eggs, potatoes, cheese, lots of milk and the odd pizza or two and that should be this months eating taken care of.

Will be doing some core work later on today.

#19 ·
Mingster said:
Got the provisions in for January this morning. 5kg of steak, 5kg lean mince, 5kg of chicken breasts, 4kg of salmon, 2kg of pollock, 1kg of prawns and a lot of basmati rice and egg noodles. I've ordered egg whites and oats from Bulkpowders for delivery tomorrow, together with leucine, Q10 and Psyllium husks. Add in some bits and pieces such as whole eggs, potatoes, cheese, lots of milk and the odd pizza or two and that should be this months eating taken care of.

Will be doing some core work later on today.
Thought that was just a week's worth... :whistling: you on a diet ? :innocent:

#22 ·
A bit of core work today.

I do some core every day and have done for around 5 years now as physio following my back injury. This consists of hip rotations and lower back compressions and stretches. They are difficult to describe but were worked out over time with the one decent physio it was my good fortune to meet at that time.

When lifting I add other exercises. These are my favourite...

Occasionally I will substitute them with these...skip to 45 sec mark...

I usually finish off with some variety of lying leg raises.

You can do all of these exercises pretty much anywhere with little or no equipment needed.

#26 ·
Been to work today but have managed another core session, a repeat of Thursdays exercises. Hoping to get into the gym tomorrow but this cold is taking some shifting. Feel pretty lousy and am spending a fair bit time coughing my guts up, but I'll do what I can.

Diet going well. Yesterday's eating included a breakfast multi shake, a peanut butter and jam sandwich with Burgen bread, salmon with potatoes, sprouts and broccoli, chicken with mushrooms and pineapple with egg noodles, and cheese with crisp breads for my evening snack. I don't want to bore people with too much diet detail, but will add bits and pieces here and there when I feel it may be useful, or interesting, or just plain gluttonous:D

I'll stick up a supplements post later in the week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.